Useful aides and gadgets

I was talking to a patient yesterday who has recently had hand surgery and is having great difficulty taking their meds as their hands are not up to the job.

I suggested the service most pharmacies offer in the UK of bubble pack dossets, which has the correct tablets supplied at the correct times…makes life so much easier. Is this service available elsewhere?

It just got me thinking that so of us are so used to using, and knowing about useful aides and we always share on here in various threads.
what’s the most useful things or gadgets you have found?

Great question!!!

My favorites:

- pill organizer: I can't open child-proof bottles, but my five year old can, so I have my meds and supplements in a pill organizer that I can open and keep it in a place the little kids can't reach

- handles: I replaced the knobs on my sinks with handles.

- seat belt handle: great for those of us with shoulder issues that sometimes can't reach back to grab the seatbelt

- EZ Carry or similar: It has a thick handle for arthritic hands, and a place to slip bag handles underneath for easier carrying

- fatter handles: eating utensils, toothbrushes, etc. ...my husband is making me foam things I can slip over my toothbrush or utensils for a better grip when needed

- Jar opener

I have a great jar opener I bought for my mother about 15 years ago and inherited. :slight_smile:

Shoulder pain makes it hard to get a bra on and I like to do up at the from and twist it round … I found that if I put on a silky pair of leggings and get them up high enough The bra slips round with ease and my shoulders don’t protest :slight_smile:

Right now my kids are my most useful "gadget". Not quite sure about the hair styling, but that's okay.

Lol I’ll yep my boys are pretty useful aides too :slight_smile:

Here those pill things from the pharmacy are called "bubble packs" unfortunately they are harder to get into than bottles with non-child proof lids. I use 2 pill organizers. I wait until a good day with my hands and load them up for 2 weeks at one time. Takes less time and are ready for bad hand days.

I buy pipe insulation from the hardware store (or Lowe's or Wallmart) and slit it up the side and wrap any handle that might hurt my hands esp good with garden tools. I also have a shopping cart (with pipe insulation on the handle!) that I use whenever my son isn't looking! Apparently looking like a bag lady is a bad thing........

You can definitely get this service here. Many mail order pharmacies will do that. I’ve actually been thinking about trying to get that myself. I do have a pill organizer that I keep 2 weeks of doses in. The only problem is that when I run out, I have to get it refilled. I’m actually trying To get into a care plan though my insurance and getting the nurse to help me set all of this up. I’m having such a hard time coordinating my own care! Isn’t that pathetic? I’m a nurse for chrissakes!

I’m snickering right now. I can’t get the image of you pushing your cart down the road and mumbling to yourself out of my mind!

michael in vermont said:

Here those pill things from the pharmacy are called "bubble packs" unfortunately they are harder to get into than bottles with non-child proof lids. I use 2 pill organizers. I wait until a good day with my hands and load them up for 2 weeks at one time. Takes less time and are ready for bad hand days.

I buy pipe insulation from the hardware store (or Lowe's or Wallmart) and slit it up the side and wrap any handle that might hurt my hands esp good with garden tools. I also have a shopping cart (with pipe insulation on the handle!) that I use whenever my son isn't looking! Apparently looking like a bag lady is a bad thing........

That’s a great idea. There was a point for three weeks when I went braless because I couldn’t bend enough to hook it. Had to have my mom tell me how to do it your way. I felt like an idiot, because I had forgotten that’s how she has always done it.

Louise Hoy said:

I have a great jar opener I bought for my mother about 15 years ago and inherited. :slight_smile:

Shoulder pain makes it hard to get a bra on and I like to do up at the from and twist it round … I found that if I put on a silky pair of leggings and get them up high enough The bra slips round with ease and my shoulders don’t protest :slight_smile:

I have a grabber stick which allows me to get objects from places under things without having to contort into a pretzel shape. I have a package opener as those horrid packaging kids toys come in with all the tiny ties or elastic tabs etc. drive me nuts. I have a jar/ tab puller and some plastic knob thingies. Slip over any knob and it makes it bigger. But by far my most prized is a jewelry holder to help you put bracelets on. I use it for my scrap booking and card making; it lets me manipulate small objects and holds them while I glue/colour/glitter. Does work for jewelry as well. I am sure if it was marketed to crafters it would be glittery and cost twice as much. Works like a charm.

Instead of bread tabs, twist ties, or chip clips, I bought some snap bag clips from IKEA that seal packages. I bought mine initially from King Arthur Flour, sort of like these: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-flour-bag-clips

The IKEA ones are bigger and way cheaper though. Easy to open and shut.

An electric can opener. Parchment paper for baking (makes cleaning up SO much easier). My kids are huge helpers :)

A liquid measuring cup that you can measure from standing up, vs. bending over to look at the side (made by OXO). Small cutting boards for cutting up a small thing, vs. having to pull out a big heavy one and then wash it.

KitchenAid mixer is my biggest help. It's my workhorse.

Tide PODS for the washing machine. I don't have to twist the cap off and lift a heavy bottle to measure detergent. I just toss the little pod thing in.

I love the pods! I thought they were a gimmick but they are way cool!

I have always wanted a kitchen aid mixer. I have a good excuse now. I want one in red!

And yes Grumpy I am now wandering around with my cart (and there is a cat in it) mumbling to myself now that my son is off to his semester in Italy. It keeps the riff raff away! My husband hasn't noticed yet!

I love my red kitchen aid mixer, like Marietta my is constantly in use. I can't live without it!

michael in vermont said:

I have always wanted a kitchen aid mixer. I have a good excuse now. I want one in red!

Now you are just rubbing it in....."sniff"....."sniff"....

MAT said:

I love my red kitchen aid mixer, like Marietta my is constantly in use. I can't live without it!

michael in vermont said:

Dry your tears and head quickly to the closest place that sells them. You will love it! My husband thought I was crazy when I told him last year that I wanted one for my birthday but finally convinced him I was serious.

michael in vermont said:

Now you are just rubbing it in....."sniff"....."sniff"....

MAT said:

michael in vermont said:

How right you are Mat! My birthday is in March.....Christmas is closer.......

I came up with a new strategy to open pill bottles with one hand. Put a grippy thing (rubber grippy) and put the bottle on it upside down. Push down and turn with the palm of your hand and voila! One handed pill opening!

Nobody was available to open my pain meds this morning. I think I'm just about done with them now.

How does it not fall out all over the counter when you lift the bottle? Just trying to see it in my mind.

It unlocks it ineffect, then you pick it up with both pieces together. Try it out.