What do you do to remove an ingrown toenail?

I’ve had the weirdest ingrown toenail on my second toe, the one with the worst arthritis, and I can’t get rid of it no matter how much I try! I heard about a product called “outgrow” and I’m wondering if anyone has tried it…I’m too scared to let an “expert” work on it! :tired_face:

Ooops, the photo’s a little large!

Ouch!!! That looks painful!!!
Sorry, never having to try to sort something like that out, I don’t have any ideas/advice for you :frowning_face: Here’s hoping someone else can help with this one :slight_smile:
All the best with it!! I do hope you are able to get it sorted with minimal discomfort!!!

Hey janson! I’ve had it for so long I don’t even remember when it started. I know it’s ugly, but I’m sure most of us have some weird stuff going on in our fingernails or toenails, so I’m not embarrassed showing it on here–except the pic’s just a wee bit larger than I had intended.
It’s like a trench–I dig and dig with a toenail clipper until it bleeds and then I dig some more. It hurts all the time, but it usually feels a lot better for awhile after I dig it out.
Just hoping someone has a home remedy that’s easy and less painful!

Awww… I wouldn’t put it in the ‘ugly’ category!!! Just looks soo uncomfortable/painful!!!

I have real sensitive feet, even just trimming toenails is uncomfortable for me, so seeing this and thinking of getting it sorted makes me ‘cringe’ lol (just me being a wuss lol)

Here’s hoping someone comes up with something helpful!!!

I’ve had to have them taken care of twice (I think) by a foot doc. They numb it up and it’s done. If I remember right, I had to do salt water soaks for a few days after. You should also check in with your rheumy about holding off on the Enbrel. Any procedure . . .
And of course, you really shouldn’t be digging around in there. Risk of infection and whatnot.

1 Like

I’d be too scared to be messing with it myself. Would far rather let the expert numb it up and deal with it. Honestly Grandma J the expert approach has to be easier than putting up with it?

1 Like

I have always been subject to ingrown toenails on my big toes, but since PsA, any and all of my nails are fair game for all manner of horribleness! After a couple of nasty infections, I’ve recognized that I must never attempt a fix! And, nail salons are also too big a risk. My doc recommended a clinic run by an RN, specially trained in foot care.

I take this serious if that damn thing gets infected you could be in a world of hurt (and I don’t mean just pain)Well if you insist on DIY:

• Soak your feet 3-4 times daily. Soak your foot (or feet) in warm, soapy water for 15-20 minutes, three to four times daily. …
  • Apply an antibiotic ointment. …
  • Insert cotton under your toenail***. …
  • Wear the right shoes. …

Or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0PvAWY8aRI

be very careful of “professional treatment” Unless they do actual surgery by cutting back into the toe and removing the root, all yoill have is trimmed nail damned sore toe, a big bill and a nail that grows back only worse (Trust me) The cotton works,

BUT i would also suggest maybe the problem is not the toe with the ingrown toenail but rather your big toe (not that the sausage isn’t bad on second toe) Your picture is’nt complete but it looks to me like you great toe has a hallux valgus deformity (very much like a bunion but in this case arthtis) that is pushing it into the second toe causing the ingrown nail… An insole with toe-separator will wonders for both (after you use the cotton. Don’t bother with night spints, they don’t work. (we can find studies for anything: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18330806

2 Likes

It is the weirdest ingrown toenail…it’s not like the usual ones where the hard toenail turns in and causes pain and inflammation. It’s semi-hard–almost like a cross between skin and nail that I’m sure would require surgery to get the entire thing out. The toe itself is screwed up from arthritis (as is obvious) and it’s longer and lumpier than the same toe on my right foot (which doesn’t have this ingrown problem).
I appreciate your advice, tntlamb, Susan, Poo, Stoney and Janson! I was hoping someone else had used the “Outgrow” stuff I had remembered seeing ads for in the past. Then I realized I should google it and see if it’s still available. It is available, but I don’t think it’s a cure. It’s called Out-gro. There’s also a Dr. Scholl’s product, which supposedly softens the area so the ingrown nail can be removed easier. It doesn’t sound too promising, but if I try it, I’ll let you know if it works! I’ll probably end up having it surgically removed anyway.
I’m not prone to infections at all–I do soak it in really hot Epsom salt water and use an antibiotic ointment on it. Now that I worked on it, once it heals it’ll feel okay for awhile.

The cotton under or between the nail and the flesh of the toe really does seem to help me. Though that’s usually with the big toe nails, which I have to keep long or risk having perpetual ingrown nails. Despite everyone telling me I should trim them, I know better. I spent most of my childhood with my foot in my mom’s lap so she could dig out an ingrown nail until I started trimming them myself and keeping them longer. Though I had some trouble with one this past week - I think all the swelling in my left foot just got to be too much.
I hope you get it sorted soon, ingrown toenails are so sensitive.

Mine is so weird…it’s off to the side and really doesn’t seem as much like toenail as it does really hard skin…it seems to grow deep into my toe, not really connected to the nail. It’s probably weirdness from the arthritis in that toe. I’m sure a surgeon could permanently remove it. It’s healing now, but maybe next time it grows back (which will be a few weeks) I’ll show it to a doctor. Thanks for your response–seems like we all have trouble with our toenails!!!