Very new to PsA itching scalp?

What shampoos work for a very itching scalp?

Hi, Becci and welcome! I don't have an answer to your question but will follow it carefully. However, I did want to welcome you here, although I'm sure it's not the place you want to be.

I add tea tree oil to regular ol' shampoo about 5 -10%. Emu oil shampoo if you can find it is good too...

I can't use anything made from soap on my scalp :/ what i've found works well is using the "no poo" method where you use baking soda as shampoo and vinegar mixed with water as conditioner. If you are interested you can read about it here http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=935.

I always found Denorex with coal tar to be very helpful...you have to read the ingredients; they make some that has no coal tar. Hope you get some relief soon!

Once I started taking MTX, all my scalp issues disappeared! Before that, I used a lot of different things - prescription shampoo, gels, etc. but nothing works like MTX for me - it is gone after years and years!!

Is it okay if I ask this on this thread? If not, I'll move it elsewhere. But it seems to tie in with the theme.

Is there a way to tell if you have dandruff vs. psoriasis in the scalp? My scalp is always itchy but sometimes it goes bananas. I'm guessing it's just good old dandruff but I am curious. Obvious, I can't SEE in my scalp to tell. I think I only get just white flakes, nothing reddish but I'm not sure because I'm having vague memories of reddish stuff too.

Coal tar is my favorite. I use Nutrigena brand T-Gel shampoo. It stops all my issues with mild scalp psoriasis, itching, flaking etc, and it actually makes my hair look good. If you use an anti-keritolytic like salicylic acid or Denorex without the coal tar, you will end up needing to use it more and more b/c your scalp with start producing sloughing off more and more cells to protect from the acid.

My daughter uses tea tree shampoo and conditioner. It helps her & if we run out of it & she has to use something else I can ALWAYS tell. It really controls the flakes. Hope I was able to help you out.

I have used a shampoo with Tea Tree Oil by Biolage. I used to buy it in a salon. It felt really good on my scalp cool and soothing but I have not used it for years since Biologic drugs help my scalp psoraisis.

I really like Paul Mitchell’s Tea Tree shampoo and tea tree conditioner.

Hi becci,

I haven't talked to you yet, sorry about your scalp. I do not suffer the rash, but can gain much by the info already provided by all these wise ones, as my grandkids have psoriasis. Hope you feel better!

SK

Hello all – our friend (becci214 ) in the site asked .what is good solution for scalp psoriasis ? in first what is scalp 1- appearance the deep fissured wound on the crown ,betamethasone ointment is suitable drug for it but sometimes itch spreads to all over the head with small bid 2- wound appears near external ear or beck of head with itch that spreads with bids and dandruff 3- in this feature itch and small bids appears all over the neck and under the hair . in up three condition that itch is important challenge in the beauty and fashion market places is a scar cream I used this cream and helped me in neck itch you can search www.rejuderm.com also this cream have leaflet . thank

I think I said Biolage for my shampoo but I think it was Paul Mitchell!

Coconut oil. It helps condition your hair too.

Shawn, doesn't this make your hair greasy?

i wanted to say think i dont know where to by those oils at
tntlamb said:

I add tea tree oil to regular ol' shampoo about 5 -10%. Emu oil shampoo if you can find it is good too...

thanks i am going to try that
Emma W said:

I can't use anything made from soap on my scalp :/ what i've found works well is using the "no poo" method where you use baking soda as shampoo and vinegar mixed with water as conditioner. If you are interested you can read about it here http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=935.

i will have to figure out where to by it
Byrd Feeder said:

I always found Denorex with coal tar to be very helpful...you have to read the ingredients; they make some that has no coal tar. Hope you get some relief soon!

Sorry! Of course you need to know where to find it! Wasn't thinking..

Denorex (with coal tar) is available at most pharmacies and some grocery stores. Look in the area of the dandruff shampoos (like Head & Shoulders). Coal tar is an old, old medical remedy for psoriasis. It helps loosen plaques and calm itching. Any shampoo with coal tar will help some, but Denorex has a high coal tar content, so it works best for me.

The back of my head was covered in psoriasis at one point. It was so bad that my hair could barely grow through it. I know how miserable it can be. This was the only thing that helped me. I found out about it from an old Army nurse. She didn't take any prisoners! lol

If you cannot find it, I would check with a chain pharmacy such as Walgreens or CVS, and ask if it can be ordered for you. I doubt, however, that you will have any problems. I have bought it at CVS and Krogers. Good luck; I hope it helps you!