Update and upgrade!

Hi people, just wanted to share my latest. I’ve just had my first biologic Enbrel injection. I was on MTX and Arava for six months without any improvement and problems with liver blood results so rheumy upgraded me finally. I think she knew that this would happen, she just had to go through the motions of trying out the other stuff first.

I was in a lot of pain when I saw her so she gave me a steroid injection to take me through to the time when the Enbrel should kick in. Oh, I do love my steroids …I’ve been feeling wonderful the last few days, lots of energy, no more swollen itchy fingers and much less pain. I literally didn’t sleep for 34 hours!!! All my kitchen cupboards are tidy now.

things have calmed down a bit and I’m back to sleeping properly and it’s great not to have the fatigue and pain…now I know what it can feel like I hope the Enbrel will do its job.

Sending my new-found optimism and positive vibes to you all…

4 Likes

Good luck! :grinning:

Lots of luck!!

So far I’m in love with Enbrel…I hope you will be, too! Good luck!

Oh I am really impressed with your rheumatologist, and so very glad for you, Yael. And thanks for letting us know how things are going! It will probably be a couple of months before you notice any improvements, and when they come they will be gradual. Wouldn’t it be great to leap out of bed on the 90th day, step out onto your balcony and shout “I’M HEAAAAAALED!” ? Nope, sorry, it doesn’t work like that. But for most of us it does work. And I imagine that you must be so ready to move on and start getting better.

Now when you get your next steroid injection you will have a problem: no more cupboards to clean. In that case, maybe you could come to my house to work off your 'roid rage.

BTW, how is your husband doing?

We’ve got quite a lot of new members here: why don’t you give some of them a bit a welcome and some wisdom? You’re quickly becoming a local expert!

Seenie

Thanks for the encouragement!

Seenie…my husband is absolutely fine…all cancer free and just has to go for checkups…so things are looking good thanks for asking

I certainly will check-in with other posts to see if I can give some input as you suggest!

3 Likes

Yael that’s great news on all fronts. I hope it goes well. I have my second humira injection this Friday. Humira is my first biologic. About five days after the first injection of got a sense of change coming. I hope you get something similar.

1 Like

Now that’s interesting. I got the same thing when I had my first shots of Enbrel. Hard to describe, but it was like a fleeting little micro-burst of energy. It wasn’t my imagination: it took me by surprise, because I was convinced that it would be months before I’d notice anything. When I felt that, I knew the Enbrel was going to work. And it did.

2 Likes

@Seenie exactly. I expected nothing for months too so was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

That exact thing happened to me! I was so pessimistic about Enbrel–expected the worst SEs and no or poor results, and instead it worked within a couple of days–mostly relieving the fatigue and stiffness! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow - that’s so encouraging. I do feel better but I think it’s the steroids not the Enbrel. However I am really optimistic and it’s soooo good to hear positives.

2 Likes

The embrel started working for me after about 5days- I was amazed. I went from taking indocid around the clock to not needing it at all within the first week. I am still on mtx though. I’ve now been on embrel four weeks and I reckon the pain and swelling has reduced by about 80%. So all the best!!

1 Like

Thought I’d just check in with a positive post. Feeling good…just made me realize how bad I did feel. I have lots more energy, less pain and no itchy swollen hands!! Hope it’s the Enbrel. Funny thing is that I applied for early retirement and just got it approved. PsA and my husband’s illness gave me a wake-up call. I am 54 and have been working in the same job for 27 years. I have enjoyed my job but now it’s hard to put in a 9 hour day at a desk 5 days a week. It’s time for something different. I don’t know yet what I’m going to do with my new found freedom but it’ll be an adventure!!

4 Likes

LOL! When life becomes an adventure again, I’d say something is working!

What great news yael.

Great post Yael - you give the likes of me hope! And I do hope you start having just wonderful adventures with that newfound freedom! So please share them. :sunglasses: