Started Enbrel yesterday...huge step towards getting my life back!

I FINALLY finally got the guts up to start Enbrel yesterday! My Rheumy wanted me on it almost a year ago and it took a debilitating flare to get me there, but I did it.

I'm terrified of shots, so yesterday was traumatic...they wanted me to learn to inject myself, so the gave me the autoinjector, showed me how to do it, and after about 10 minutes of me freaking out I pushed the button. NOTHING. Try again, and again, and again. Have your hubby try. He couldnt get it to work either. I was almost at panic attack point, having garnered the courage 5 times now to give myself the shot and it wasnt working!! They finally get me another one, and I was shaking so much I could barely get myself to do it again. But I did and it worked, and all the panic was for nothing...it didnt even hurt, just a slight sting.

Woke up this morning, no reaction at the injection site.

And I'm sure its all in my head, but I have more energy this morning than I've had in months. Is that even possible?????

The nurse did tell me this was going to be my life changing drug...I teared up thinking "could I possibly have a life soon without pain?"

Please Enbrel work!!!!

Congrats on treating your disease!

It's all a bit anti-climatic isn't it....Somehow all the panic makes you think you're going to drop dead the second you take the meds...and then nothing happens (or good things happen!).

Back when I first took Enbrel, I felt better within the first week. Not completely better, of course, but it was pretty dramatic, as at that point, I could barely move. There was nowhere to go but up!

Congrats again on being brave!

Thanks Marietta!

Yes! I dont know what I thought was going to happen during the injection, but the fear of it was so much worse than the shot.

Its so encouraging that you noticed a difference in the first week...amazing actually!

Congratulations!!! I understand where you are coming from. I am hoping in the very near future I will be self injecting with Humira. I am not a fan of needles so I am sure my story will be very similar to yours. Will have to reread your post on the day I take my first injection

Good for you, Kestrel! And yes, I had the same feeling the day after. I didn’t say a word, because I thought that I had a bad case of imagination, placebo effect, wishful thinking, whatever. Does it matter? If you feel better, you feel better. I’ve had two Enbrel stops and starts since I began, and it happens to me each time. Lasts three days or so the first week, then progressively longer with each injection. The first improvements that Enbrel gives me are psychiatric: brain fog and depression lift quite rapidly

Not everybody gets that effect, but one or two others on this board have mentioned it. I guess you’re just one of the lucky ones.

Yes, for me Enbrel has been my life changing drug. I hope it is for you as well.

Such good news, Kestrel.

Seenie

PS I didn’t get a site reaction the first time either, but I did get one for several shots after that. Kind of like a really big bee sting. I found the best thing was ice and benadryl cream. After several shots, the reaction diminished.

Easternlady - feel free to message me when you are about to start and I'll remind you how easy it was :) The flu shot and pneumonia shot I had to get last week prior to starting Enbrel were 100x worse than the Enbrel injection - I promise!

Seenie - thank you so much, it was your kind words last week gave me the courage to go through with it and keep my appt.

Funny, I feel like a "fog" has lifted, I woke up this morning with hope, and energy, and motivation to do some things I had decided against because they would take too much effort. I even did laundry at 6 am this morning while getting the family out the door! Normally I'm sitting with my cup of coffee waiting for my Meloxicam to kick in so I can start moving. I woke up stiff still, and achy, but with a new motivation I havent had in a long time. And like you said, feeling better is feeling better, regardless what the reason is.

Good to know that a site reaction is still possible. I injected in my tummy fat, next week will be my thigh. I'm sure that with each new location comes the possibility of a reaction.

Now I'm off to the barn to ride my horse! :)

Ride with a smile on your face!

Kestrel...

I started giving my shots in my thigh... but finally got the courage to do it in stomach... I will do it always in stomach.. no pain at all.. In the thigh - you will feel some pain.. stinging and tightness for me.... take care....

huggs

Karen
Kestrel said:

Easternlady - feel free to message me when you are about to start and I'll remind you how easy it was :) The flu shot and pneumonia shot I had to get last week prior to starting Enbrel were 100x worse than the Enbrel injection - I promise!

Seenie - thank you so much, it was your kind words last week gave me the courage to go through with it and keep my appt.

Funny, I feel like a "fog" has lifted, I woke up this morning with hope, and energy, and motivation to do some things I had decided against because they would take too much effort. I even did laundry at 6 am this morning while getting the family out the door! Normally I'm sitting with my cup of coffee waiting for my Meloxicam to kick in so I can start moving. I woke up stiff still, and achy, but with a new motivation I havent had in a long time. And like you said, feeling better is feeling better, regardless what the reason is.

Good to know that a site reaction is still possible. I injected in my tummy fat, next week will be my thigh. I'm sure that with each new location comes the possibility of a reaction.

Now I'm off to the barn to ride my horse! :)

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ve always done it in the thigh. Yes, a sting. Tomorrow I will try my ab. Thursday is my favourite day of the week. Only one more sleep! :slight_smile:

Karen said:

Kestrel…

I started giving my shots in my thigh… but finally got the courage to do it in stomach… I will do it always in stomach… no pain at all… In the thigh - you will feel some pain… stinging and tightness for me… take care…

huggs

Karen
Kestrel said:

Easternlady - feel free to message me when you are about to start and I’ll remind you how easy it was :slight_smile: The flu shot and pneumonia shot I had to get last week prior to starting Enbrel were 100x worse than the Enbrel injection - I promise!

Funny, I feel like a “fog” has lifted, I woke up this morning with hope, and energy, and motivation to do some things I had decided against because they would take too much effort. I even did laundry at 6 am this morning while getting the family out the door! Normally I’m sitting with my cup of coffee waiting for my Meloxicam to kick in so I can start moving. I woke up stiff still, and achy, but with a new motivation I havent had in a long time. And like you said, feeling better is feeling better, regardless what the reason is.

Good to know that a site reaction is still possible. I injected in my tummy fat, next week will be my thigh. I’m sure that with each new location comes the possibility of a reaction.

Now I’m off to the barn to ride my horse! :slight_smile:

Karen - thats good info to know, maybe I can just stick to my abdomen!!

Great news Karen. And good for you for getting over your nerves. I used to get the auto-inject Enbrel pen but I switched to the regular pre-filled syringe because there's no spring-loaded device which always bruised my thigh. Plus, like you've found out, the stomach is MUCH more forgiving. I simply pinch an inch, stick the needle in and push down the plunger. I'm on Humira now as the Enbrel (which worked very quickly for me and in the same way you experienced) simply stopped working after six months. These things happen.

Anyway I NEVER thought I would be able to self-inject, but now I'm not at all bothered by the process. It took me a while to get there, but I just don't care any longer. Give me the drugs...