11:52 am. I did it

Well, I played hooky from work today. I woke up at 11:30 wondering what could I do today. So I opened the fridge for some OJ and like always there was my three bags full of Enbrel staring at me. Over a years worth. I was RX'ed this stuff over a year ago and have been afraid to take it. I keep saying I'll do it tomorrow, or next week, or whatever. But warm weather is right around the corner and here I am still covered in Psoriasis. So today I just grabed the bag, opened it, pulled out an auto injector, an alcohol swab and didn't even think about it. BAM, injected myself immidiately before I chickened out.

I injected in my belly and didn't even let it warm up. I figured as in the past, the warm up period was enough time to make me chicken out. Pfffft, it ain't nothing folks. And I mean no pain what so ever. I'm even wondering if the stuff actually even went in. But the window is purple so I guess that means it did. I was surprised by the lack of pain. There was just a gentle kinda "thump" against my belly when I pushed the button and released the needle and that was it. Truly no pain at all.

Afterwards I felt kinda hot and "off" for a few seconds. Like I was having trouble breathing. But now, 20 minutes later I feel okay. I believe the "off" feeling was due to my nerves being I was nervous and all. Kinda like a rush of anxiety.

So there it is. A year and 4 months in the making, I finally grew some hangy downs and did this thing. If I survive the day I will post later and let you all know if I have any side effects.

Good Job!!!! You musta been one miserable sumagun....... You in remission yet :-)

Yeah for you, happy clappy dance! You are well on your way taking charge of your disease not the other way around! Yeah for you!

Thanks for the replies. 4 hours post shot and no side effects at all so far. Also, this is worth noting. No reaction at the injection site at all. In fact, I can't even find the spot where I injected. This is interesting to me because Humira left a nasty spot at the injection site. It was always raised, red, moderately painful and kinda bruised for several day's post injection. In fact, my belly was always tender while on Humira. So for what ever reason, Enbrel seems to me as being.....hmmmm, less dramatic or perhaps less invasive is the better word. As far as pain during the shot, niether hurt much, but Humira did hurt quite a bit more. Enbrel was virtually painless and I wouldn't give it no more then a 1 on the pain scale. Humira certainly stung more but I would only give it maybe a 3.

Tnt, I was looking at my skin at Applebee's thinking "damn, does it already look better lol". I sure hope this works. We have a vacation planned for later this summer. I'd sure like to wear some swim trunks and enjoy it instead of looking like a leper.

Seriously I have had the skin clear up in hours..... Its amazing. I take it every 5 days I get a patch every now and then on my knee on day 4. Its literally gone in a few hours (except the scabs where i scratch it till it bleeds) after i shoot.

Chris said:

Thanks for the replies. 4 hours post shot and no side effects at all so far. Also, this is worth noting. No reaction at the injection site at all. In fact, I can't even find the spot where I injected. This is interesting to me because Humira left a nasty spot at the injection site. It was always raised, red, moderately painful and kinda bruised for several day's post injection. In fact, my belly was always tender while on Humira. So for what ever reason, Enbrel seems to me as being.....hmmmm, less dramatic or perhaps less invasive is the better word. As far as pain during the shot, niether hurt much, but Humira did hurt quite a bit more. Enbrel was virtually painless and I wouldn't give it no more then a 1 on the pain scale. Humira certainly stung more but I would only give it maybe a 3.

Tnt, I was looking at my skin at Applebee's thinking "damn, does it already look better lol". I sure hope this works. We have a vacation planned for later this summer. I'd sure like to wear some swim trunks and enjoy it instead of looking like a leper.

Oh man, that's awesome. If it works half as well as what you describe tnt I'll be super happy. Humira didn't do much for my skin so that makes me a little skeptical. BUT, Remicade cleared me up nice so that makes me a little positive lol. I must admit, I feel crazy stupid for letting this stuff set in my fridge for over a year! Why the hell didn't I start this sooner I keep telling myself.

I currently take Enbrel every 4 days, and after a month on this increased dose I have patches of P clearing that haven't changed in 5 yrs (my P is mainly on my hands).

Congrats Chris for finally injecting! I've found Enbrel the easiest of all the biologics to deal with (why I'm back on it).

Don't beat yourself up too much Chris. We can only do what we can do. Lots of us get overwhelmed and take a sabbatical of sorts, "I am just going to pretend this is not happening for a little while...." I have done it myself and now you have done your's and will move on to dealing with it. I think sometimes the "sabbaticals" are very helpful in fully getting that this is really happening and not all in your head. We look so well sometimes even we believe it!

Way to go! I hope you continue to have any easy time with it. I have heard from a few friends about having the psoriasis plaques shedding in the first few weeks of injecting. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm one "big old chicken" who is about to start taking a self-injected med...and I'm horrified by needles. If you can do it, I can do it, right??? :)

And btw, "grew some hangy downs" made me giggle... :) Good way to start my day. :)

Oh yeah, you can do it pink. Trust me, it was virtually painless. In fact, it was so painless I was worried that I actually did not inject it correctly. But, the window was purple and there was no excess liquid anywhere so the medicine had to go in correctly I assume right?? If not, I think there would be excess fluid (medicine) somewhere. I watched some injection videos on Youtube after I did it and seen that the pen is supposed click once the injection is complete. I didn't remember hearing no click. But I was kinda amped up so maybe I just don't remember.

Good for your Chris !

Thats awesome!! Yay Chris :)

You have me convinced! :)

I should also say this is the only Biological that I have not had at least SOME negative reaction. At least not yet. I had a terrible reaction to Remicade during my 4th infusion and that was the end of that. On Humira I was apparently a "little" allergic to it. After a shot of Humira I would have a pretty nasty red spot at the injection site. I would also usually get a hand full of hives after my injection. Not many, maybe 3 or 4 hives. My Rheumy said I was probably kind of allergic to the Humira but the reactions were so mild he felt it was safe to continue. It just didn't work on my skin so went ahead and stopped.

Hi There,

It took me two months.. before I was brave enough -- and I thought that was a long time- LOL.. jk... I am doing wonderfully on it.. We all still do have the same issues.. if their was any damage done before the treatment... but it is like a new life unfolded. I really look forward to my shot.. lol.. sure sounds ironic.. huh?

Let me know how you are doing..

Hugggs

Karen

Okay, well I just did shot number two and sure enough, no second click??? Everything I've seen on-line and according to the instruction insert I should hear a second click once the injection is complete. Last week I didn't "think" I heard a second click but I was nervous and thought that I just missed it. Today, I was listening for the second click, and nothing. The window turned blue and I counted to 20 seconds before removing the pen from my stomach.

And again, no pain what so ever. I would expect at least a little sting. But I get nothing. BUT, there is no liquid anywhere once I'm done and the pen is empty. So common sense tells me the medicine HAD to go into my body right?? Where else could it have went?

Hey Chris, congrats on starting enbrel. I just took my first shot last week. My second one will be today.

Anyway as far as the 2nd click I think I have an idea on what is happening. Are you holding the purple button down the entire time? If so I believe that might prevent it from clicking back up as it normally would. If you press it and then release; then let the medicine inject, it should click up at the end.

Either way I would not worry about the medicine going in. Even if you hold the button down the medicine will still inject.

Anyway hope its working out for you so far!

-Court

Awwwwww, you are right! Instinctively I do hold down the purple button during the whole injection. So that second click is just that button popping back up huh? That make's perfect sense. Thanks man. And good luck on the Enbrel. Funny, we started at the same time, same day. Maybe we can compare results. Have you had any side effects yet? I don't think I have. I had stomach issues a few day's last week after my first injection. But stomach issues are pretty common for me so I hesitate to blame it on the Enbrel just yet.