Quick muscle pain question

I have read on here about muscle and connective tissue pain, but I would like to ask a quick question.

My shoulders stay in pain but the worse pain is the muscles from my shoulders down to my elbows. As some have said, it even feels like bone pain. I have the same type of pain in the tops of my thighs, down to my knees.

I can deal with the joint pain, but the muscle/bone pain drives me to the pain pills. My hot tub helps, but only for a few hours.

Could this be something other than PsA? Is my question. I don’t think it is anything like fibro, but I wonder.

I am on Otezla and 5mg prednisone a day. I have to watch the NSAIDS because the tend to cause arrhythmia.
Thanks in advance.

Out of all my pain, the muscle pain I get down the backs of my legs is the absolute worst. It reminds me of the growing pains I got as a kid. It starts in my lower butt and goes to the backs of my knees. I’m not certain what causes it, but boy does it hurt. Lately I’ve also been dealing with a tightness and pain just below the back of my left knee. Definitely feels muscular… someone here told me it may be from tendon or enthesis inflammation that radiates to the muscles. Fun stuff! :weary:

Could also be sciatica nerve pain.

I get it too and I think it’s what you ‘pretty feet’ said. But when to see a new physio last night and she thinks it could be from back issues.

2 Likes

Tamac has a “quick question”!?!!?
Tamac, in the the PsA world there are no quick questions! But OK, here goes.

When I was undiagnosed (and I was undiagnosed for years and years) I had terrible pain from knees that needed replacing (OA they said) but I had a host of other unexplained symptoms as well. The worst of these (without a doubt) was limb pain, mostly in my legs, mostly at night. From my waist into my feet, I ached. I also, from time to time, got really bad leg cramps. The pain was a constant, deep, intense aching that didn’t change: I could move, get up and stretch (ouch), take a warm bath (helped until I was dry), and take tylenol (slight improvement, but hardly worth the work for my liver). The doctor had no idea beyond the tired old suggestions (exercise, rest, better food, weight loss, different shoes, orthotics), and when I told her that the best remedy I’d found was a muscle relaxant, she thought that was pretty funny.

But even with the muscle relaxant (we can buy an OTC tylenol/methocarbamol tablet here in the Great White North) the pain kept me from sleeping very well. This continued after I was diagnosed, while I was on DMARDs, and only stopped when my first biologic started to work.

Maybe the fact that the relentless aching disappeared at the same time that my joint destruction got slowed down, and my fatigue lifted, and my skin got better, was a coincidence.

My theory is that’s it’s something to do with inflammation of the tendons and muscle sheath.

I know about the growing pains!! I am 6 foot 5 and had bad knees from growing so fast.

Being that tall, there is a lot of me to hurt with this stuff. I am not sure which is worse, the terrible pain or the terrible fatigue. I am having one of those days I am so tired and I hurt. :tired_face:

Wholeheartedly agree on that one.

Hope it eases soon. Have you tried any meditation? It so helps me reset my ‘can’t deal anymore’ levels. And then I relax just a bit better and then everything isn’t so hard. The iphone download ones just work for me.

Actually,. meditation is my specialty. I am a Certified Hypnotist and Training Instructor. I have additional training in treating chronic pain with hypnosis. It I wasn’t a hypnotist I would be in serious trouble. My pain level is bad even when using what I know to control pain. My doctor always ask me how I am dealing with pain. When I tell him about treating other people for chronic pain I get some weird looks.

I often have to just find a quiet place and relax deeply and recharge the batteries in my internal pain control unit. It works pretty well unless I get very tired and in a lot of pain, then my pain blocking can break down.

I had to close my full-time/part-time practice several years ago because of the pain and the cancer. I hope to get better so I can open it back up. I really enjoyed helping other people.

2 Likes

Hi Tamac, I find meditation very useful too. Do you have any recommendations for online or apps (guided meditations) that are specifically designed for pain? I use headspace, which has recently introduced a pain pack, and I find it very useful.

Second that. Goes away when my PsA is properly treated.

Tamac, sorry to hear it sounds like you’ve been through a lot! Ugh and it’s probably much worse being a very tall person–my 38-yr old son is almost as tall as you–he’s 6’4"–and I noticed lately he has a weird, slow gait. He definitely has curvature of the spine and it ticks me off that wasn’t caught when he was a preteen and growing so fast…
…well, anyway, I had muscle pain/weakness and pain under the skin of my legs above my knees several years ago. I finally had P.T. to strengthen my legs and my back. The therapist had tested my back and I was like a 90-year old! The strengthening helped at the time and especially the pain under my skin (I always said I think psoriasis can be in the under layers of skin because mine actually hurt).
Have you had any P.T. for your sore muscles?

That’s just wonderful. Sorry if I sounded like you knew nothing about it!

That’s okay. Not many people understand hypnotists!

1 Like

I was actually diagnosed with PsA after a knee replacement - following the quickest degeneration of a knee my doc had ever seen, btw. Six months after, despite religiously following all physio requirements, the new knee was still stiff and swollen. Bloodwork showed extreme inflammation. So, even though the joint itself has no pain, the surrounding area can exhibit PsA pain and tenderness.

Just wondering about the ominous sounding but (from what I recall from a long ago discussion) not nearly as serious as it sounds ‘bone marrow oedema’?