Surgery Canceled. Actemra Up to Bat

I was scheduled two weeks ago to have a total right shoulder replacement. However in the pretesting they found that I still have MRSA (was treated for it two years ago)...so the surgery AND the IV drug I so badly need to take (a biologic called Actemra)...were both on the back burner.

My ID DOC (infectious disease) said it was okay to go ahead wiht the Actemra and I can also have the surgery IF the surgeon is willing...He's been VERY nervous about my propensity to get major infections and I"m sure all he will need to hear to turn tail and run ---is that I'm positive for MRSA.. (MRSA - if you don't know- is a STAPH infection that is resistant to antibiotics...It is dangerous , very difficult to treat and usually you get it while you are in a hospital .)

Well, yesterday I had my first IV infusion of Actemra...Just a little dizzy while the infusion was going. Then last night had abdominal cramps and a bit of distress that sent me to the bathroom....but not bad by yesterday afternoon. I don't know how long it can take to get any good results from it.... I gather it can take a couple of months. But I don't know if that is worst case scenario...or average.

I have to say that the nurses at the infusion center were LOVELY--absolute dolls. And one of them was handing out slices of her homemade raspberry pies..... It's got to be a tough job, ministering to the cancer patients and watching them fade away. I used to work on an oncology ward as a unit clerk and the nurses there too, were super. It takes a special person to work those jobs..

Anyway. Here I sit. stll in very bad pain. But at least Ihave something now to look forward to.

Sorry for the repetitiveness of this post. I didn’t remember writing the prior one. so a lot of the material is the same. Blame it on brain fog :slight_smile: