Starting Actemra

so this Friday, barring any infections or illness, I'm going to begin getting infusions of Actemra.. Have any of you been on it..? DId you experience side affects? I've needed (desperately) to be on a biologic for years....and the doctors always get scared and terminate the med. I've had pneumonia and endocarditis ( an infection of the heart) while on Enbrel. I understand their concerns but the fact is that I'm rapidly approaching the time when I am no longer going to be able to care for myself...I would rather have a few good years than many years of long drawn out suffering.

I haven't been on Actemra, but have been on lots of the biologics over the past 12 years. Best wishes while you start the Actemra. I always treat for the here and now, and not worry too much about the future (except steroids... I worry about what that could do long term). I'm either going to be in the very small percentage who has problems with a med, or I'm not. Can't do much more about it than try.

That is so true. Either you is or you ain't. And there;s no way to know til you try.

Marietta said:

I haven't been on Actemra, but have been on lots of the biologics over the past 12 years. Best wishes while you start the Actemra. I always treat for the here and now, and not worry too much about the future (except steroids... I worry about what that could do long term). I'm either going to be in the very small percentage who has problems with a med, or I'm not. Can't do much more about it than try.

Good luck with the treatment :slight_smile: wishing you relief x

Thanks for your prayers and good wishes. I had my first infusion yesterday. The nurses at the hospital were LOVELY...many of the people there have cancer so compassion must be in their job description. I was barely seated when a nurse offered me a slice of her homemade raspberry pie. Turns out she brings stuff like that every Friday.

I was there most of the day since it was my first time and they had to get my chart up to speed on the computer. Last night I felt a bit nauseous and dizzy. but not too bad. Today I have some stomach cramps and lower GI issues. I slept longer than usual today but that's okay.

I am trying to talk myself into making my morning smoothie...will probably do that later if I get hungry.

Glad to hear it went smoothly overall. And apparently Friday is an excellent day to go. Fresh raspberry pie? Yum.

Yes. and I made sure my next appointment is on a Friday as well !!