Started enbrel at last

Hi,it’s been along while since posted anything on here.I have had such bad depression and couldn’t talk to anyone.Had methotrexate and pain relief for 13 months and couldn’t carry on any longer.Just been granted funding for Enbrel and had my first injection yesterday.Wondered if I had to be careful of people with infections colds etc.Just wondered if anyone had any advice on starting this new drug.Im praying it helps! Can’t carry on like I am.Hello to all you lovely people.

I have been on Enbrel since December 2012. I have not had a cold since. Just make sure to always wash your hands and use sanitizer regularly. Only thing I have noticed is that cuts and scrapes don't heal as quickly.

Sincerely

Karen

Basic hygiene procedures is all. However, if you have an infection (fever, etc) you will need to hold off on your injection.

I've been on Enbrel now since February, and only had one minor cold.

I don’t seem to be any more vulnerable to colds and infections than I used to be. The immune system is a very complex thing, and biologics work only on a very small part of it.

I’m so happy that you are making progress1 I always say that Enbrel is the best anti-depressant I’ve ever used.

I've been on Enbrel for a month now, and the only difference I noticed was that a sore took longer to heal, and the fatigue is starting to lift somewhat.

Glad to hear that you finally got approval. Remember that depression is REALLY common for those of us with PSA. While I know it can be hard to talk to anyone when you're depressed, don't fear coming here and ranting if that's what you need. We wouldn't want you suffering in silence. Hopefully the Enbrel will help elevate your mood. Best to you.

Hi Miss S-it's a couple days since you posted--I hope you're starting to notice improvement or you do real soon! You look young, and I always feel sad for you really young people who are hit hard with this disease-or any disease, for that matter!!! I'm telling our kids if they get PsA or even just P I'm insisting that they go on a biologic right away!

Aside from that, there are many discussions on here about Infections, immune system, etc., and most people don't catch any more colds or other bugs than they did before...that was my biggest worry, too, but I feel very sure we don't have to worry about that.

Hope you're having a better day!

Thank you so much for your lovely message! It’s made my day.I hope your having a good day.Its very sweet of you.I have been very depressed but I’m so glad I’ve eventually been given funding.I have had quite a good day! :-))) xx

Miss S, I see you are in the UK. Since you were last on the forum we have set up a group for UK members called Cuppa House and we are using it to help other people in the UK navigate the NHS and NICE guidelines for our treatments. Feel free to join us or have a look at the info. we have already posted.

You shouldn't have had to fight for a first biologic provided you met the NICE qualification criteria. It is your legal right under the NHS constitution. But this is how they baffle and b*llsh*t us.

Hope the Enbrel works for you, not just for the PsA but also for the depression. Have you got yourself a copy of the book recommended in Book Reviews - Psoriatic Arthritis 'the facts'? It is an excellent read and helps us to understand that things like depression are also part of the PsA.

Stick with everyone here, even - ESPECIALLY - if you're feeling down. It's a great place to get a lift.

Yes!! That's great news!!

Miss S said:

Thank you so much for your lovely message! It's made my day.I hope your having a good day.Its very sweet of you.I have been very depressed but I'm so glad I've eventually been given funding.I have had quite a good day! :-))) xx

I was on Enbrel for 6 months before switching to remicade, and in regards to being more careful around sick people I'd just stick with washing your hands more often, not sticking close to someone who is really sick, and being a bit more vigilant.

My job puts me in constant contact with the public, as well as sick and disabled people, so it was hard to escape being exposed to lots of illness. I did get the flu, but it's hard to attribute that to being on Enbrel or because this year it seemed to be everyone had it. Other than that I didn't have any real trouble. A coworker of mine with RA was on Enbrel, too, and never came down with a cold or infection for the months she was on it.

If you feel you're coming down sick let your doctor know, but don't let it worry you too much. I hope it starts helping you soon!