PsA and teeth

Hey y’all.
I mentioned in my other post about how bad my teeth are, along with a lot of other things. Well last night I was eating a homemade chicken and cheese quesadilla. About half way through the first quarter slice, I heard and felt a pop. Yeah, not good! It was my front right tooth. It didn’t break completely but it’s very loose and now painful. I’m on a liquid diet now. Hey maybe I can lose more weight. Lol but seriously, I’m so over these teeth.
I started researching oral surgeons that I know accepts our insurance and is in the network. Praise God! One in the list is willing to take them all out at once! And with a little money down will let me make payments for the rest. ((($$\!!!##@@@™℅¡¿¶∆√<] (Happy dance) lol
Yes I’m happy about that but now I know I’ll be put to sleep for the procedure. That I’m not happy about. Already having some anxiety about it and haven’t even scheduled the surgery yet, just the consultation. It’s this coming Tuesday, btw. Maybe after the consultation I’ll feel better about the surgery.
Just venting i guess.
Thank y’all for reading.
Hope and prayers y’all are pain free today. God bless.

1 Like

This sounds like a conversation that I would hear over on the Sjogren’s syndrome support page. The tooth broke? They’re all bad enough to be removed?

It sounds like there’s been something going on with your teeth for a long time to be in this situation now. Is this related to PsA? Shoulder shrug. It’s certainly not listed but could it be an indirect effect? Such as from medication? Anything is possible.

Hey stoney. Thank you for responding.
Honestly I don’t what what the cause is. When I hit my 40’s, my teeth started breaking and chipping and getting decayed. My mama’s did the same thing. Since the hysterectomy, it’s gotten worse too. At least half of my teeth are already broke off to or under the gum line. The other half are cracked, chipping off little by little and decaying at a rapid rate.
I’m not on medication, nothing like that so that can’t be the reason for it. I just dk. :hushed:

I’ve read some about Sjogren’s syndrome but I’m not sure what it is really. What doctor can diagnose it? I go to the rheumatologist in August. Maybe he can.

1 Like

It sounds like there may be a hormonal component. Possibly genetic as well.

In terms of the question of Sjogren’s, it would be the rheumatologist. But if your mouth and eyes are dry all of the time it could be either sicca syndrome or Sjogren’s, and the presence of one autoimmune disease makes the presence of another one more likely. Either way, it sounds like your teeth have become a serious issue.

Yes I agree, definitely hereditary. Yes always thirsty and my eyes are either dry and gritty feeling or running. But that could be from allergies too. Either way or whatever the cause, my teeth are a huge issue and on their way out of my mouth, just a matter of time. :smiley: I’ll be toothless for a while but I believe it’ll be better than This pain and worry. Eventually I’ll be able to eat a crunchy tacos again! Fresh broccoli, celery, sunflower seeds, so much I can’t wait!! Lol

1 Like

Update.

Tooth broke completely. Woke up very thirsty and lip was kinda stuck to the tooth. It didn’t hurt really but it scared me. Lol New things going on too.
I’m “drunk” feeling today. Very swoomy. Off balance horriblly. And headache. Routine hasn’t changed. But I was out in the heat a lot the past couple of days.
Any suggestions, advice, anything. My husband has to work tonight. I’m kinda afraid to be alone.

The main thing I would encourage is to make sure that you are staying hydrated. I might even have an electrolyte drink. Eat small healthy meals to make sure that your blood sugar is staying even as well. I hope you feel better soon. That’s a really bad feeling.

Hey stoney. Thank you for responding.
I tried drinking my coffee as usual but seemed to make my headache worse. Decided that I may be a bit dehydrated. Thank sweat horribly almost constantly here in South Georgia, USA. This heat and humidity are killer.
Feeling a bit better now that I drank almost a bottle of room temp water.
Thank you again.

1 Like

Switched to oj. And headache easing up. Thank God! But Tuesday can’t get here fast enough!

1 Like

Hi there @AngieB, I’m soo sorry to hear you having so much trouble with your teeth etc… it has brought something to mind that I was told at a rheumatology hospital some 40 years ago… I was there because of issues I was having with my back at the tender age of 17 (hmm… those back problems started earlier than that though)… I also had terrible teeth for as long as I could remember… one of the docs at the hospital suggested I get my teeth fixed as this could sometimes fix joint issues too… now, I’m not sure if this might be considered “an old wives tale” these days or not, but I do remember reading some where on the net something about teeth issues at least contributing to some inflammatory arthritis type things… I’d be interested to hear if sorting out your teeth issues helps your PsA at all… It’s probably a pretty far out there thing to hope, but sometimes nature can be surprisingly weird.

1 Like

Hey janson. Thank you for responding.
I’ve heard similar things. But more heart related. I wouldn’t doubt that it can have an effect on our bodies as a whole. I have a consultation Tuesday afternoon. I’m praying they’ll get em all out the following week. I’ll keep everyone posted and updated.

1 Like

All the best for Tuesday!! I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! Just as an aside, I had all of my teeth removed at 17, then four wisdom teeth at 21… both were done under general anesthetic (there is no way I would have coped being conscious while they poked around in my mouth :laughing:)… after the first extractions I woke up with my new dentures in place already… I’m sure it was much easier than waiting for the gums to settle before getting dentures… and I have never once missed having my own teeth lol

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m 46 and for the most part, have had good health all around, besides the various allergies and aches and pains. This last year or so just getting worse by the day it seems. But since February when I had a hysterectomy, my body seems to hate me! If it isn’t one thing, it’s 3 others.
The oral surgeon I’m seeing doesn’t do dentures, unfortunately. I’ll have to wait until we have the money or can borrow it somehow to get my falsies. But I’m to the point, i won’t mind being toothless for a little while. It’s gotta be better than what I’ve been going through this past year or so. I’m with you! I don’t think I’ll miss real teeth at all!:grinning:

2 Likes

Update
My appointment with the oral surgeon for consultation was for nothing. Idk what the girl was thinking making my appointment. First I wasn’t even in the book for an appointment. Second, they don’t take patients over 30years old. Third, they only accept Medicaid patients.
Yeah we were not happy. Had to drive 90 miles one way to not be seen. But I did get an appointment with the right office but they have no payment plans of any kind, unlike what the girl who made my first “appointment” told me . Ugh so we’ll see what happens between now and my appointment in a month from now. Good news, but found a place that takes our insurance and they’re in the network and reasonably priced for dentures. Thank God!
Hoping and praying for a good pain free night for every one.

1 Like

I agree. Have had the tooth issues since diagnosis with Crohns in 2002. Have always thought it might be a high dose prednisone side effect. First tooth broke in 2006 while eating a salad! I seem prone to dehydration and keep.a bottle of Pedialyte by my bddside to sip on at night.

1 Like

Hey Kris1010. Thank you for responding.
Oh my! I have come to believe that any autoimmune disease effects way more than the doctors really know, ex. Our teeth and/or gums. My very first tooth that broke was way back when I was 19. I was eating one of those lollipops with gum in the middle. And it hurt. It has been filled by the dentist not long before it broke in half. Then I had many good years with no breaks. Since February, I think I’ve lost 4 teeth to breaking off. I’ve had only one removed yet. Ugh.

I had been drinking an aloe drink called savia. But after reading about causes of inflammation, I started drinking bottled water. The aloe drink has a lot of sugars both natural and artificial. So I drink a lot of water now along with fruit juice and smoothies.
I haven’t thought about Pedialyte. I have to have something to drink with me all the time. I even take it inside of stores, like Wal-Mart. But I’m not sure about the taste. What flavors do you prefer?

1 Like

I like the cherry pedialyte but love anything cherry. Hard to find locally so I order off Amazon. If you like smoothies you might try the unflavored in your smoothie blend. I have kidney issues as well so I think the electrolyes help keep things in balance. Remember that fruit juice is high in sugar too. I avoid but that’s because prednisone raises my blood sugar and I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible. And if you’re drinking acidic fruit juices then it def won’t help your teeth issues. Water is definitely the best, but maybe providing some electrolytes wouldn’t hurt either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And I’m so sorry your first dental experience was a bust! But it sounds like you’ve found someone good and I believe everything happens for a reason! Sending good thoughts and please keep us updated!

1 Like

Hey Kris.
I’ll check on Amazon. I’m a Amazon junkie! Lol
May be a good idea to put some in a smoothie. Oh yeah fruit juice has lots of sugars. I don’t drink it all the time just a glass or two a day if that much. I drink mostly water lately.
I’m sorry for your kidney problems. My step dad had kidney disease and my uncle was on dialysis for about 20 years. Maybe not quite that long but I know it was at least 15years. I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Well I believe every thing happens for a reason. Idk what the reason for all that confusion was for…yet but eventually I may figure it out. Lol
Thank you hunny.

1 Like

I had gum disease for years and have lost bone from my jaw. Dentist sent me to an orthodontist who told me ‘it’s not a question of whether you’ll lose your teeth, it’s when’. I suppose that was about 8 years ago.

For some reason I no longer have periodontitis. I was under the impression it wasn’t something that goes away, but mine has. There are only two things that have changed - one is the PsA dx and starting meds. And the other is getting an electric toothbrush and religiously using interdental brushes and floss (different things for different sized gaps).

I think there is a link between gum disease and PsA, though it’s a bit chicken & egg. I’ve saved a hell of a lot of money on dentists’ fees in recent years and have only lost one tooth.

3 Likes