PsA and teeth

I’m an Amazon junkie as well, especially since I can’t get out and shop. Love that Prime! lol There are also Pedialyte pops you can freeze. Nice for hot summer days! Thank you for your prayers! You are in my thoughts and prayers as well. The people in this forum are all so supportive and it has been a blessing to me. At times we feel so alone with these rotten cards we’ve been dealt. But to know there are others who understand and care makes the journey a little less daunting at times.

1 Like

Hey sybil. Thank you for responding.
That’s good you no longer have the teeth and gums problems. Awesome!! I think mine are doomed. I have very few that aren’t chipped, cracked, split or just gone except under the gum. :confused: I don’t open smile anymore. it’s So embarrassing! Around here there’s a lot of drug use and my younger brother is a known meth addict around here, so most people that don’t know me, think I’m a drug user too when they notice my teeth. And I don’t just tell every one about the PsA. That’d take much more time than I usually have or feel like taking. I honestly don’t think that brushing more or anything like that would help mine at this point.
I have no doubt that PsA has a connection with teeth and gums problems. I believe when in a flare or having the inflammation uncontrolled, it effects teeth, gums and the whole mouth in general.
I’m just to the point that I’m ready to be done with these teeth. Praying that the rheumatologist can and will do something or give me something to help, and I don’t have any allergic reactions to treatment. my oral surgeon appointment is about a month before the appointment with the rheumatologist. I feel that maybe a good thing.
Idk really. Lol

So glad that you found something to help with all of the symptoms and problems you were having! :clap: Praise God!

Hey Kris.
Yes Amazon is great! But since I’m not working anymore and not sure if or when I’ll be able to work again, I had to cancel my Prime subscription. :confused: (along with other subscription service like our Netflix. :confused:) but so it goes.
I’m definitely going to check out the freezer pops! Those sound really good especially now in the heat of summer.
No thanks needed but you’re very welcome. Thank you for the prayers! I need all I can get.
Yes, this forum is a God send to me too! Everyone is so supportive and informative! I love it and everyone on here! With my husband working as much as he can, it leaves me alone with my thoughts often. I turn to this group of wonderful people. I have only a few friends locally that I talk with and only about 2 of them know what is going on with me right now. So this forum and the amazing people here are my “person, people” .

Cyber hugs, love, and prayers for each of you! God bless!

1 Like

Hi Angie,

I know my post isn’t 100% relevant to you. Just adding my experience of teeth & PsA. Shouldn’t have tempted fate though, 'cos last night I realised at least one area of my gum is not nice to know … hoping the periodontitis hasn’t come back …

Peoples’ assumptions … sigh. You could do without that. I’m beginning to count down the days to your appointment, all this waiting - it’s a right pain for sure. I always tell people that PsA meds seem to have improved my general health, not just the specific PsA symptoms. But I guess that is because systemic inflammation does indeed has an all-over effect. You hang on in there.

I am so glad this forum helps you. It has influenced my attitude to the disease in a positive way for years, the people here have taught me how to cope.

1 Like

Hey sybil.
No thank you for your input. It helps to know that some people with this crap disease has achieved control of it, at least somewhat. Praying that the periodontitis hasn’t come back.
Oh yes for sure the waiting, ugh!
No doubt about the dang inflammation hunny. Ugh(again) lol
I’m counting down the days and praying all the while. I’m not one to give up or give in. :+1::blush:
I’m very thankful to have found this forum and getting to know everyone in it. It’s about all I do when I’m home alone lately, is read every discussion. I’m getting educated and learning coping skills at the same time.
I appreciate every comment and all the advice.

3 Likes

Hey y’all.
UPDATE.
I had my oral surgeon appointment today.
He agreed that I need to get what teeth I have left removed asap. Sadly before insurance it’s over 6400 dollars. Praying that insurance will cover over half and we’ll come in to some money soon too. Yes, praying for a monetary blessing.

He looked at the knot and swollen gum today too.
The swollen gum is from bone. I honestly don’t know how the other doctor missed bone in my gum after cutting out a tooth!
The lump, knot, idk what to call it really, but it’s on my jaw line. It doesn’t hurt or bother me unless I’ve been chewing a lot or someone touching it. Doc said it’s a calcified lymph node. I’m like what the what?!??!? That’s what the er doc said about the lump in my calf muscle, not a lymph node but calcified muscle tissue. I mean what the what?!?!? Is happening to my body?!?
but Dr white, oral surgeon said Nothing he can do about it and suggested I go see an ENT doc. Just great! Another doctor, another doctor bill. Ugh.

So now waiting for the office manager to call me back tomorrow to let me know the damage. And we’ll go from there.
I’m having some depression issues and just want all this to go away.
Thanks for listening/ reading. Hopes and prayers for each of you for a good pain free night/day.

Oh gosh, @AngieB, the cost of these things is just outrageous!! I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that insurance will come to the party, at least as far as being able to get your teeth sorted, and getting that missed bone piece removed too.

As for the calcified lymph node (and the calf muscle thing too), I have no idea what can cause these, I guess there are probably a heap of things that can… but… is it possible this could be part of an autoimmune condition? I seem to remember reading somewhere about some autoimmune issues causing calcified lumps… it might be worth asking your GP or rheumy about it, before going to the expense of an ENT appt.

Best of luck for the call back tomorrow!!! Hopefully they will be able to find a way to sort out your teeth without you needing to foot too much of the bill… will keeping my fingers crossed for you on that.

It’s not all surprising that you experiencing some depression at this point… it’s an awful lot to cope with!!! Especially when $'s are tight (something I understand all too well!!)

Sending good thoughts and big hugs your way!! xxxx

1 Like

So sorry @AngieB. You need to see that rheumatologist in August to get a better grip on all these things. It is though coming closer, so hang in there. Aged about 40 (I’m now 56) I had neverending teeth issues. No PsA till I was 53 though please note. I put it all down to genetics or something as I looked after my teeth rather well. I’m certain now it was just PsA. All teeth issues have calmed down considerably since being medicated to make my crazy immune system also calm down more. So at least presently I’m not in dental pain any longer and so just can concerntrate on the rest. Big hugs and roll on August for you and your rheumatologist appointment. x

1 Like

@janson
Hey Janson. Thanks for your reply.
Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. Just haven’t been feeling well and depression about, well everything. I’m feeling somewhat better mentally today but physically is another story.

Insurance didn’t help much. Brought our part down to 4000$ which is better but we still don’t know where it will come from or how we’ll get that much money. :confused:

I found this for explanation of a sort for calcification.

https://www.psoriasis.org/about-psoriatic-arthritis

I’ll definitely be asking about it August 23rd. Less than a month away! Thank God!!! Not much longer and praying the rheumatologist will have something in mind to help me.

Thanks again for your reply. God bless.

@Poo_therapy
Hey hun. Thanks for responding.
That’s awesome! I’m looking forward to the day when I don’t hurt everywhere! But my teeth are beyond saving. And I have only 13 left standing and 2 that’s broke off to the gum. I honestly believe my teeth are what caused the lymph node to become calcified.

Thank you. Yes roll on to Aug!!! The magic number is 23! :slight_smile:. It just can’t get here fast enough!
Thanks again. God bless.

@AngieB: No need to apologize regarding reply!! I understand how these things go :frowning:

So very sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much with all of this!!! Also sorry to hear that the insurance company won’t come to the party with more towards getting your teeth sorted… it’s still a huge amount to find, there’s no way I could come up with that sort of outlay either, so I understand completely!! Am just wondering if there are any hospitals/dentists etc who would do the dental work for you with much less cost in your area? Might be worth having a good look around (although I’m sure you don’t really feel up to doing so at the moment).

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for the 23rd for you!!! I do hope the rheumy is able to offer something helpful!! Please do let us know how it goes!!! xxxx

1 Like

My dentist warned me about tooth problems, but he told me the biggest problem seemed to be that all the meds are so strong they dry out your mouth. He told me to make sure I drink plenty of water and don’t let my mouth get dry. He told me that a dry mouth is very hard on the teeth.

1 Like

@tamac thank you for the information. Currently I’m not on any meds and haven’t been previously either. I drink on average about a half gallon of water a day plus other non-caffeine drinks, and I still have dry mouth problems. I’ve had no dentist or oral surgeon say anything about it as a problem or reason for my horrible teeth tho. :hushed:
I’ll definitely ask about it when I see the rheumatologist in August tho.

1 Like

@AngieB
Yes, do raise that with your rheumy… it may be that you have sjogren’s syndrome… this is another autoimmune disease that can cause dry mouth, dry eyes etc… I don’t know a lot about it, but perhaps the treatment for your PsA might help the dry mouth too? Dry mouth can definitely cause teeth issues though… I am also wondering if it proves your teeth problems might be from something like sjogren’s might that make a difference to insurance issues (might insurance contribute more to getting your teeth extracted)? Just a thought :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Check with him. I have a nervous habit of drinking water due to the days I took tricyclics. I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day. (And make a lot of trips to the bathroom). I have noticed this weekend after starting the cosentyx my mouth seems drier, but the cosentyx also seems to be making my nose stuffy.

1 Like

@janson
Hey. Thank you again the information.
I asked Dr goggle about sjogren’s syndrome. My symptoms fit the description of it. :confused: I’m going to suggest that I am tested for it, what few tests there are.
I checked our insurance. It will pay in addition to our dental insurance only if it is an accident that caused a perfectly good tooth, only one tooth, to be broken or damaged to the extent that I wouldn’t be able too eat at all OR if I have bad infection in my mouth because of my teeth AND I’ll be starting a medication for autoimmune disease. So I’m going to wait until my rheumatologist appointment in August and mention it to him then.
Dang I need a make a reminder list of questions to take with me.

2 Likes

@tamac
That’s A LOT of water! I have to potty A LOT myself. I’m can imagine you’re having to go way more! Bless you!
Is that the only SE you’re having, the dry mouth and stuffy nose from the cosentyx? If so, that’s great! If it is helping too!

I’m 63 and started getting cavities the last 12 months. Dentist said it was from medication drying my mouth out so much. Now a water bottle is an automatic take along.

@Bern hey there. So sorry for your problems with your teeth. I know that pain very well unfortunately. However I don’t take any medication for an autoimmune disease yet. I’ve experienced dry mouth and eyes for a while now. I have no doubt it’s from PsA or another autoimmune disease. I’m going to speak with my rheumatologist about the on the 23rd. Whoohoo! Less than 3 weeks away!!

1 Like

Hey y’all. UPDATE: my husband and I talked about it and decided instead of selling my car, we’re going to borrow more money on it to get my teeth fixed, well I should say removed. I called the oral surgeon office again Thursday but the office manager didn’t answer. Of course I left a message. Praying that they’ll finance half with half down. Please pray for me and my teeth.
Thank you all. God bless y’all!

2 Likes