Pinkie Prognosis

My right hand has become progressively more odd looking over the past few months, with recurrent dactilytis (sp?) in my index and smallest fingers and new positioning on that small finger- it now points up and bends oddly. Has anyone had deformities of hand joints get better and what happened? I am scared that the damage is permanent, and am really tired of looking like a fancy English person drinking tea all the time. I plan on asking my doctor next week, but am curious about the experiences of people here.

Can’t comment on your deformity, Rosen, but I just wanted to say that your subject line, Pinkie Prognosis, made me smile. Thanks!

:) It's pretty amusing.

I guess I was just wondering if soft tissue damage usually causes permanent damage. Not a very answerable question, but very much on my mind.

Seenie said:

Can't comment on your deformity, Rosen, but I just wanted to say that your subject line, Pinkie Prognosis, made me smile. Thanks!

I've had seeming deformities (due to swelling) improve, but no true deformity.

If you have access to one, a hand therapist can help make you splint and give suggestions for us that can slow down the damage by supporting the finger, and keeping it in proper alignment.

I’m with Marietta. Soft tissue swelling will go down. Your deformity that you mentioned sounds like soft tissue. . . Splinting may be appropriate, but definitely start off with a referral to a hand therapist.

I too have deformities. The middle finger of my right hand (go figure, I am right-handed) is permanently messed up. The middle knuckle is so swollen that I couldn't fit my son's size 13 class ring over it. The finger is also starting to turn more to the left. I can feel it starting in the index finger as well. I have been on Remicade for 6 months and there has been no change. I was on hydroxychloroquine (sp) for four years, This is the second Dr. at this facility and I am at my wits end. Getting to the point, my dr says that the Remicade won't "fix" the way it looks. This is permanent. I pray that yours in not like mine

I definitely have deformities of three fingers on my right hand. I also have dactylitis quite severely on two of them. I was told for years that I just had osteo, but as my hand progressively got worse and more deformed (I am a pianist, which makes it all the more frustrating!) my internist decided to send me to a rheumatologist. After one look, he diagnosed PsA. I have many of the other PsA symptoms, also, but this is the one that is most noticeable externally. I began a year ago with sulfasalazine, then to methotrexate, and now to Enbrel + methotrexate. My doctor told me that Enbrel is usually the first choice in biologics for PsA. I have now taken 8 injections. I know the deformity will not change but, hopefully, the pain, swelling and dactylitis will respond positively. I wish I could say that it has been a miracle drug, but I'm still waiting on that proclamation. I'm trying to be patient because I've read that it can take three months or so. One more month to go! I do realize, however, that even if the hand stays deformed I am doing my best to make sure the disease doesn't progress. That's my best option at this point. I hope you find something that will help you soon!

tammynm said:

I too have deformities. The middle finger of my right hand (go figure, I am right-handed) is permanently messed up. The middle knuckle is so swollen that I couldn't fit my son's size 13 class ring over it. The finger is also starting to turn more to the left. I can feel it starting in the index finger as well. I have been on Remicade for 6 months and there has been no change. I was on hydroxychloroquine (sp) for four years, This is the second Dr. at this facility and I am at my wits end. Getting to the point, my dr says that the Remicade won't "fix" the way it looks. This is permanent. I pray that yours in not like mine