Definitely Seeing A Pattern Here

Welp, I am two weeks away from my next Remicade infusion, and I’m starting to swell and grow those hard nodules on my PIP and DIP joints. I swear, my fingers look like gloves filled with pebbles; they are so danged lumpy! I am also noticing an increase in the stiffness. It never really eased up in my knees today. I also had to use my cane all day today; I had been using it only when I was tired.

So, my question is for my Remicade friends. Do you all notice the same thing after week 4 post infusion? I had cut way back on my break through pain medication (Vicodin) to where I was only taking 1/2 a tab to 2.5 tabs a day. I don’t really want to take more than that a day, plus I don’t think it works any better if I take more than 3 a day anyway. I guess I’m just trying to see if I’m the only one or not. I also really want to know about the hard knots that I get on my joints. I also get them on top of any bony prominence that gets used a lot. Like I will get them on my fingertips from typing too much. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Has a doctor told you what the heck they are? This was actually my first symptom.

I have those bumps on my fingers as well, on DIP and PIP joints as well. They come and go, but definitely increase with disease activity. I find that they are painful as well, and I usually wind up covering them with padding of some sort. . . Even a band-aid will help with this.

I asked my rheumy way back what this was about. She didn't seem concerned, and didn't investigate. I had this symptom from very early on. Ok, so I just took a look at my hands. Some of these do seem to be somewhat permanent, but they are not painful and irritated all of the time. I wish I could be of help. But it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one with this.

Me too. It’s good to feel not alone with my weird symptoms. It’s funny that I will get them on my fingertips if I type on my iPad too hard. Mine are also painful; very tender to the touch and really hard. I like to wear gloves when I have them because they make my whole hands really feel tender and the gloves provide some protection. It’s fine in the winter but spring is coming!

My favorite waterproof solution is the NexCare waterproof first aid tape. It's stretchy and foamy, so it provides padding, and works even on the joints. I can leave it on all day, and it's not a problem. And it's "flesh" colored, so it blends fairly well. Do I sound like an advertisement or what?

I usually only get 3 or 4 sore spots like that at a time.

Good tip Stony! I have some joints in my fingers that have become unstable. I think it will work for that too. I use some washable blue splints but sometimes they don't match my outfit! like weddings and such, I would prefer flesh color.