Need help

Hello all,

I am new to this board and really hoping for some support. I was diagnosed with PsA last January after a year and a half of pain, going to many doctors, being misdiagnosed and even not believed. A regimen of mobic and methotrexate calmed my symptoms down the most they'd been since this all started. However, everytime I start to feel like I can pick myself back up something else happens. This summer I dislocated my elbow and broke my arm falling in my yard. Shortly after, I got a large infection/abcess in one of my teeth and up into my sinuses that I *cannot* get rid of. It's been 3 months of horrible headaches and earaches. I had to have one molar extracted, and now it looks like despite a root canal and retreatment may need a second tooth extracted. I am just having a hard time making a decision about this. The antibiotics dont' seem to work, doc said it wasn't worth going off of methotrexate for this tooth. But if it's pulled I will have no teeth on my upper right jaw. I am only 37 for God's sake. I just feel like all of my ability to focus on what I need to do for myself and family is dwindling and I am feeling very sorry for myself. I have been so cranky with my kids lately, and am dreading the holidays.

Thank you for letting me vent. If anyone has any stories about dental infections on these meds and if they ever cleared up please let me know. I need to figure this thing out and get back to a better place of acceptance.

Thanks, Carly

I go off MTX anytime I have any kind of infection. I just went through a dental problem this past summer. I dropped the MTX until the dentist was sure the infection was gone. In between, I had a root canal and a crown. PsA didn't rear up too badly, and it gave the antibiotics a chance to work. You have to do what's right for you. Is it your rheumy or your dentist telling you it isn't worth it to go off the MTX for this tooth? It's YOUR tooth--only you know if you want to try to keep it or not. Interrupting MTX apparently isn't an awful thing. My doc tells me to stop it if I am not 100 percent.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, and best of luck!

Hi Carly, welcome to this group. It's a great group of people, who offer support and love to you because they GET IT. We are all dealing with this in our own way too....and if you ever need to get it off your chest, this is the place to do it! Hope you feel better soon...hang in there.

Lainee B.

Byrd Feeder,

Thanks for your response. Rheumy doesn't want me to go off, thinks it will be way worse all the way around. I have been doing "better" with the PA/fibro lately so he doesn't want to mess with it.

Byrd Feeder said:

I go off MTX anytime I have any kind of infection. I just went through a dental problem this past summer. I dropped the MTX until the dentist was sure the infection was gone. In between, I had a root canal and a crown. PsA didn't rear up too badly, and it gave the antibiotics a chance to work. You have to do what's right for you. Is it your rheumy or your dentist telling you it isn't worth it to go off the MTX for this tooth? It's YOUR tooth--only you know if you want to try to keep it or not. Interrupting MTX apparently isn't an awful thing. My doc tells me to stop it if I am not 100 percent.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do, and best of luck!

Hi Carly I’ve suffered with my teeth so badly and have lost 4 teeth to infections (3 of these front ones) I have crowns but only last week the root to one of these cracked due to another infection. I have only just realised that this is all connected but have been to dentist twice a week for last 3 weeks and am very depressed with the pain. Hope your teeth get sorted soon.

Hi Carly I’ve suffered with my teeth so badly and have lost 4 teeth to infections (3 of these front ones) I have crowns but only last week the root to one of these cracked due to another infection. I have only just realised that this is all connected but have been to dentist twice a week for last 3 weeks and am very depressed with the pain. Hope your teeth get sorted soon.

After long discussions with dentist and rheumotologist, we decided not to go off the MTX. Dentist put me on a 3-week course of clindamycin. If this doesn't work, tooth is gone. I had stopped the mobic for a week to take rx ibuprofen and i am SO regretting it! My SI joints, lower back, and foot are barking like mad. I had forgotten how bad it is! Back on the mobic now, hoping to avoid complete disaster, including my hands going numb. Oh this is all soooo much fun!

Hi Carly, I am 41, and was only diagnosed in sept with psa, I had to stop methx and had my
First humira last week, also taking vimovo, I feel ive had this condition a few years but only went for
Help after my two elbows, both hands and feet, constant injections under
Xray and two operations on my knee (putting off knee replacement)
But also for the last few years I’ve lost a few back teeth, had root canal treatments, crowns and am now
Having treatment for two broken teeth, I and the dentist, also rhumy
Reckon that psa is for sure a factor with the teeth:( I never ever had trouble with
My teeth when I was younger, hope you get sorted out soon, and keep smiling :slight_smile:

Carly said:

After long discussions with dentist and rheumotologist, we decided not to go off the MTX. Dentist put me on a 3-week course of clindamycin. If this doesn’t work, tooth is gone. I had stopped the mobic for a week to take rx ibuprofen and i am SO regretting it! My SI joints, lower back, and foot are barking like mad. I had forgotten how bad it is! Back on the mobic now, hoping to avoid complete disaster, including my hands going numb. Oh this is all soooo much fun!