Need help on Psoriasis Question

As some of you know, I've had an on-off question about whether I have PsA or not and thought it was pretty much resolved in the negative after tests and x-rays showed otherwise. BUT...

I now seem to have developed a troublesome patch on my elbow that I suspect might be psoriasis. I had the same thing happen when I was a kid but never thought much about it other than thinking I had dirty, sore elbows and feeling embarrassed by them.

Please tell me if this sounds like the onset of psoriasis or not. I really don't know and need your help. I started with a small, quarter-sized patch on my elbow that wasn't scaly but was just a bit rough and "wrinkled" looking, like the skin on an elephant. It stayed that way for a month or more. Then it slowly grew in size until it became about the size of a 50 cent piece. It was still just rough, not scaly, at that point.

Yesterday, though, I noticed that it had roughened up even more and had become scaly, with white, flaky scales. And itchy. There are a few little red dots under the scales but mostly those white flaky scales. Itches a lot. It does improve some with Vasoline Intensive Care but then flares up again later in the day. The spot has always had a brownish cast/"shadow" around the underlying skin, so it does look slightly "dirty."

Does dry skin act this way? Does psoriasis act this way? And if it is psoriasis, how long does it last? I'm thinking if it disappears quickly, then it probably isn't the big P.

Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!

Ironic that it flared up a few days after I visited the rheumy.

PS: Of course, it's on the elbow that hurts from joint pain!

I'm thinking it's just dry skin as there is no raised red area under the scales and that symptom seems to be present with plaque psoriasis.

Hi Petunia, I’d be getting to a dermatologist if I were you - it sounds very similar to the Psoriasis I occasionally get (which doesn’t mean it is, but I think it would be worthwhile to know for sure).

I only had my patches for a couple of months at a time, but I did find out that even if it is in remission, in the vast majority if cases it actually changes the cells in your skin, so if they do a biopsy of the part that had psoriasis,even if it is no longer there, they can see it (or not) .

I think you're right about the suggestion because if it IS...and I already have all of the aches and pains of PsA...

And the information you've provided is really interesting. Skin that looks normal...isn't.

Thank you so much for weighing in, Jen. And I'm terribly sorry that you have PsA.

Petunia Girl,

I have had psoriasis for about 12 yrs now. It's pretty much everywhere now. But I can still remember when I found my first "patch", very similar to what you are describing. It started the same way and progressed to just as you are saying. The first thing I did was go to my doc to have it looked at. Mainly because of everything you hear about watching out for changes with your skin. Now just guessing (because I don't have a PHD certificate hanging on my wall lol) but the reason for when you put the lotion on your skin and later it flares back up is because the lotion is somewhat water based so will only treat minimally where a medical topical cream will treat the actual psoriasis. But I'm sure you already realize that.

Unfortunately mine progressed to PsA almost like clockwork from a timing aspect in regards to the research I have done.

I guess the best thing I could say is to get to your doctor so they can take a look at it and start treating it if necessary. Good luck to you :)

As you know BS stands for Bull S***, MS more of the same, and PhD piled higher and deeper. But get thee to a Dermo post haste. Get it Dxd and strat treatment. It certainly SOUNDS like mine did whe it started.

And as strange as it sounds, this sounds like wonderful news. I hope congrats are in order. If you can't get into a dermo find SOMEONE who will document and do a culture.

Wow. Well I'm surprised at how similar this sounds to other's psoriasis. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. It actually has calmed down some tonight so I'm going to wait a few days to see which way it goes. I can't imagine psoriasis going away in a few days, so if it does, I think I'm good.

Lamb, you're right, if this sucker DOESN'T go away, it looks like I finally have an answer to my "is it or isn't it PsA question. "Good" news! LOL???

In the esrly stages mine came and went. Thought it was Irish Spring Soap.

Hi Petunia Girl, I've had psoriasis since I was a child and I remember mine starting as a patch on my elbow too, very similar to what you've described. Hope you get some answers soon x

Hey! I use that stuff too! Must be the soap; we're all in this boat because of that darned desire to smell Irish.

;-)

Sorry just an attempt at levity. Not very happy thinking this is psoriasis, espcially now that you've said yours came and went in the early stages. i've got a doctor's appt this week so hoping she can help answer the question.

tntlamb said:

In the esrly stages mine came and went. Thought it was Irish Spring Soap.

Thank you for responding, Rachel. I've really appreciated everyone's responses as you've helped me to take this issue seriously. I so much just want to blow it off and call it dry skin but with all of the weird joint pains and now this... I'm sure you can understand why I'm spooked.

rachelinauk said:

Hi Petunia Girl, I've had psoriasis since I was a child and I remember mine starting as a patch on my elbow too, very similar to what you've described. Hope you get some answers soon x

Hi Petunia Girl,

Just saw your post. Sorry so long to reply. The little red dots you describe could be Auspitz's sign--a tiny spot of pin-point bleeding that can be found when scales are scratched off. This, in combination with other symptoms, such as the silvery plaques, are diagnostic of psoriasis. Be certain you call these to your doc's attention.

Keep us posted!

Hi Byrd Feeder - yup, those red spots did show up after I scratched like crazy. But my doctor didn't think it looked like psoriasis because it didn't have the red raised business. She also said it was an awkward place to do a punch biopsy, and I agreed when she told me what was involved. So for now she's told me to keep an eye on it. It seems to have calmed down for now. Is still there but pretty dormant.

I so appreciate ALL of your responses and am keeping a close eye on this sucker because if it IS psoriasis, it changes the game completely re: my having only fibro. So your answers have made me realize how important it is to keep an eye on it.

Thank you!

Hi Petunia,

You could try rubbing Aquaphor ointment on it. It's safe eough for babies

I don’t know about others, but I am one of the few who doesn’t actually have psoriasis (yet)- so it is possible to have psa without psoriasis apparently. So I hope you get some answers soon but i wouldn’t let the results of this biopsy or plaque be a definitive answer for you. Although it does sound very similar to psoriasis to me: both my brother, father, and best friend struggle with the stuff so I’m no stranger to it. Keep after it until you get some answers. Good luck :slight_smile:

Hi again, Petunia Girl,

Are you seeing a dermatologist? Psoriasis can be a difficult diagnosis. When I first began having skin problems, I was told over and over that it was dry skin, just a "grease spot," dandruff, and an assortment of other stuff. Then I saw a dermatologist at Cleveland Clinic. One look and he said "Absolutely, classic psoriasis." It wasn't really a shock to me since I'd always suspected it. But, it did tell me that sometimes dermatologists are better at diagnosing skin stuff than other kinds of docs might be.

Since then I have learned that dermos and rheumies differ a great deal in their opinions about psoriasis, how to treat it and even how to use meds for it. I've kind of gotten to the point that I let the dermos treat the skin and the rheumy treat the arthritis. They still argue over stuff with me in the middle, though, so I have to weigh it all and decide which approach seems best for me.

Keep me posted on how you're doing and what you're finding out. It can be a very tough road to a diagnosis.

Thanks to everyone for advice and input. I'm debating whether or not to see a dermie - probably will if the elbow thing stays put, which it has. I can't reiterate how thankful I am for everyone's input. We all know how serious an illness PsA is and it's worth keeping an eye out when you have a bunch of symptoms. So thank you for helping me with this.

Bird, do you mind my asking what yours looked like? Did it have a lot of red to it? Mine is mostly rough skin now with some small white flakes. And, of course, the brown shadow underneath it.

Oh shoot, I just need to bite the bullet and see a dermie, like you suggest!!!

Thank you!

Byrd Feeder said:

Hi again, Petunia Girl,

Are you seeing a dermatologist? Psoriasis can be a difficult diagnosis. When I first began having skin problems, I was told over and over that it was dry skin, just a "grease spot," dandruff, and an assortment of other stuff. Then I saw a dermatologist at Cleveland Clinic. One look and he said "Absolutely, classic psoriasis." It wasn't really a shock to me since I'd always suspected it. But, it did tell me that sometimes dermatologists are better at diagnosing skin stuff than other kinds of docs might be.

Since then I have learned that dermos and rheumies differ a great deal in their opinions about psoriasis, how to treat it and even how to use meds for it. I've kind of gotten to the point that I let the dermos treat the skin and the rheumy treat the arthritis. They still argue over stuff with me in the middle, though, so I have to weigh it all and decide which approach seems best for me.

Keep me posted on how you're doing and what you're finding out. It can be a very tough road to a diagnosis.

Hi Petunia. My psoriasis looks different, depending on how bad it is, and where it is. On elbows: A small lesion (smaller than a dime) might just look like a red spot at first. Then it will get the white/silver scale. If I get a larger patch (larger than a quarter) it will begin to get that elephant skin wrinkle on a very dark red spot. Scales may form on top of that. On scalp: red spot with or without scale. Under arms: red spots that look like a rash. No scales. ("inverse" psoriasis). On calves or thighs: red spot with or without scales, which may look like a scab. Hands: small red spot with white plaque. I've had lesions as small or smaller around as a pencil, and I've had some that covered the back of my scalp. I've also had them come in bunches or by themselves. It can present in a hundred different ways.

My psoriasis is actually pretty mild. I haven't had large patches of it since I found out what it is and how to manage it. Dermo told me dry skin would be my enemy, so I'm very careful to use a moisturizing body wash (no bar soap). Yes, it's more expensive than bar soap, but if it heads off a flare, it's much cheaper than the prescriptions I would have to buy to treat that flare. She also recommended Cerave' cream. I use a LOT of that, especially in the winter. I thought she was nuts when she told me to use it, but it has turned out to be better than any $100 skin cream/lotion I ever tried, and a jar of it lasts months. (About $18 at CVS or Walgreen's)

1 Like

Byrd Feeder, thanks for an EXCELLENT post! For anyone wondering if they have psoriasis or not, you've done a wonderful job of describing some of it. In fact, I'm going to cut and paste and save the entire post to save for future reference. It's that good.

Thanks too for the info about what to use. Again, excellent info for anyone needing help with management.

Thank you so much!!!

Byrd Feeder said:

Hi Petunia. My psoriasis looks different, depending on how bad it is, and where it is. On elbows: A small lesion (smaller than a dime) might just look like a red spot at first. Then it will get the white/silver scale. If I get a larger patch (larger than a quarter) it will begin to get that elephant skin wrinkle on a very dark red spot. Scales may form on top of that. On scalp: red spot with or without scale. Under arms: red spots that look like a rash. No scales. ("inverse" psoriasis). On calves or thighs: red spot with or without scales, which may look like a scab. Hands: small red spot with white plaque. I've had lesions as small or smaller around as a pencil, and I've had some that covered the back of my scalp. I've also had them come in bunches or by themselves. It can present in a hundred different ways.

My psoriasis is actually pretty mild. I haven't had large patches of it since I found out what it is and how to manage it. Dermo told me dry skin would be my enemy, so I'm very careful to use a moisturizing body wash (no bar soap). Yes, it's more expensive than bar soap, but if it heads off a flare, it's much cheaper than the prescriptions I would have to buy to treat that flare. She also recommended Cerave' cream. I use a LOT of that, especially in the winter. I thought she was nuts when she told me to use it, but it has turned out to be better than any $100 skin cream/lotion I ever tried, and a jar of it lasts months. (About $18 at CVS or Walgreen's)