Keto and intermittent fasting?

Have read about potent anti inflammatory power of keto diet and power of fasting to reverse to some degree auto immune conditions. Have started intermittent water fasts alternated with keto diet to get rid of excess weight and promote remission. Anyone tried and had any luck w something of the kind?

I lost 115 pounds on a modified keto Not much experience with fasting beyond if my weight falls above point x, I simply don’t eat that day. If it falls Below point y I treat myself to something evil. Yesterday was such a day… A Costco hog dog loaded with the bun and a before bed hot cocoa spiked with Fireball.

But yes the weight loss is great, but you will find that without the sugars, carbs and other stuff, you will feel better.

2 Likes

Am impressed w weight loss , hoping will follow your footsteps somewhat w weight loss , regards

tntlamb

November 6

I lost 115 pounds on a
modified keto Not much experience with fasting beyond if my
weight falls above point x, I simply don’t eat that day.
If it falls Below point y I treat myself to something evil.
Yesterday was such a day… A Costco hog dog loaded with the
bun and a before bed hot cocoa spiked with Fireball.
But yes the weight loss is
great, but you will find that without the sugars, carbs and
other stuff, you will feel better.

Visit
Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these
emails, click
here.

My husband has been on the diet for over a year now. Mostly the fasting. He eats one large meal a day—no meals or snacks except his one meal between the hours of 3 and 6 p.m. The first few months he stuck tight with few carbs and minimal sugar and lost about 60 pounds. The following months he has kept to the one meal per day, but eats a lot of carbs, sweets and other junk food. He has maintained his weight, but isn’t losing pounds anymore.
He highly recommends the fasting diet.

2 Likes

I have lost significant weight with eating a Ketogenic Diet and have found it to have benefits with lowering inflammation and pain.

It has also eliminated IBS symptoms for me.
Worth a try, definitely.

1 Like

Thank you for the information, have found that eliminating carbs and sugar is making me feel wonderful , at least fasting to try and get rid of pred in body effects effects, and will wait and see if autophagy may have some effect on other immune conditions Oi have. Regards

Thank you ever so much for this information, am fasting and omad and keto and it is making me feel better on all accounts. It is a pleasurable way of eating, my legs seem to respond well to the convalescence post femur operation and the other leg, the one w psa, is once again without inflammation symptoms! Things have gone so well in fact at hospital check up the doctors have told me to walk slightly touching ground w one foot one month ahead of time! Does that mean this diet helped on all accunts?

2 Likes

How do you cope with not eating for a day? I can’t even fathom that. I’m in a wheelchair now due to a below the knee amputation in September. Doctor said I had either gout or PSA in my foot. Turns out it was ischemia from a blood clot lodged in my iliac artery. My foot could not be saved by the time the docs figured that out. So exercise is not an option. I’m on the cusp of Type 2 diabetes from prednisone. I’m down to alternating 20/15 with the prednisone. but still hungry all the time. I eat healthy but simply don’t think I could go without food for a day!

1 Like

Was in bed for hip operation due probably partly to fracture caused by osteoporosis , as a result of intensive use of cortisone years ago due to cancer treatments, and intensive cortisone for one year for psa treatments. Read up about keto and fasting , and desire to lose weight on my bones, so as to minimise stress on their structure, and my fasting started as an elimination diet in the sense of first cutting sugar, you may use stevia not other sweeteners , then cutting out carbs, meaning no bread pasta potatoes etc, cutting out packaged processed foods which contains trans fats, oils which are not olive oil , use instead extra virgin olive oil and grass fed butter, macadamia or pecan nuts , fatty meats, fatty fish, lots of vegetables no fruit except a few berries strawberries and lemon, and you will find rhat your craving for carbs and sugar will diminish and finally disappear as you feed on healthy foods, seasoned and flavourful, your first fasting periods, which will be helped by water, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a squeezed lemon, and crystals of hymalaian pink salts when you feel dizzy or faint, as well as magnesium and potassium supplements, and coffee if you like it without sugar during the day, will keep you feeling better every day of this new way of eating and no longer desiring sugar and carbohydrates, which is what prevents you from fasting. I measured my waistline towards the beginning of this way of eating maybe a couple weeks ago and waistline was around 40 inches, yesterday it was 35 inches, my psa pain in the knee of the other leg which had returned after the hip fracture, has gone away so possibly together with medication and this diet improvements have been dramatic. Doctors at hospital visit two days ago improved my recovery prognosis by one month. I recommend you read and watch on you tube videos by and on dr fung on diet and fasting , have also found interesting ones by dr berg, and siim. You will be so happy once you will start the fasting alternated with low or no carb feeding, it will daily improve everything. Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Just remembered there is a video on youtube by dr berg giving diet advice for women on steroids, called keto on steroids or something similar, have a look

1 Like

kris! Don’t know if you posted about all this … and no reason why you should have done, just apologies if I missed it.

You’ve been through so much in recent months, very best wishes to you. Perhaps when you have time you might post and let us all know how you’re getting on?

2 Likes

Prednisone usually makes you hungry (and retain fluids) so right now fasting probably isn’t an option for you. In fact healthy eating is the best thing you can do to let your body heal after the trauma.

One thing I do it put a teaspoon of coconut oil in my coffee in the morning. It floats on top and I stir it to break it up. Keeps me feeling fuller for a while because my tummy it working on the fat.You can also throw butter in your coffee but I don’t do dairy.

At this point I would probably just cut out processed foods and grains concentrating on protein, veggies, and whole fruit (so your get the fiber). Talk to your doctor about getting off the steroids as soon as you can and that should help with the type 2.

3 Likes

I’ll look for it. Thank you!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hadn’t posted on this yet Sybil. Thank you for asking. Frankly, it’s been rough. I try to put on a brave front, but I’m still dealing with the stages of grief. Not to acceptance yet. Everything happened so quickly, and I’m only 58. It was life saving surgery, no doubt about it. And the ischemic pain in my foot was excruciating. After the surgery lots of tests for clotting disorders and all were negative. Which is good. But as most of us know, sometimes just having a name on what ails us helps to cope. (Some positive news was NO plaque and no atherosclerosis in my arteries.) My biggest problem is phantom limb pain, which is constant, and worse at night. It’s an issue that has stumped the medical community since forever. The general consensus is that the worse the pain before amputation, the worse the phantom pain after. It’s a brain/nerve thing, and so bizarre that I feel my calf and foot (and the pain) as if it was still there. (All the time) Meds won’t touch it. BUT I’m trying to stay positive, and my incision healed very well. The loss of independence is tough. Yet I have an incredibly supportive and wonderful husband. He’s been my champion throughout this and I know he will continue to be. He’s had to take on a lot. AND deal with my crazy mood swings, crying jags, etc. Thank you again for asking Sybil. I know I am safe to say whatever I need to here. I am among friends. And I remind myself daily how VERY lucky I am to wake up every morning. It could have been much worse.

2 Likes

Hmmm…interesting thought with the coconut oil in my coffee! I’m a fan of coconut oil, but never thought of that. I had an appt with my primary and he put me on 20/10 alternating doses with prednisone. I have to taper so slowly, or I flare with my PSA or my Crohns. Interestingly I haven’t had the joint pain. But being in a wheelchair is a different dynamic. Plus, I truly believe that when there is severe pain in a certain part of the body (or, in my case, my invisible foot) the brain turns off other pain. It will be interesting once I have a prosthetic and am upright again.

Part of my problem with blood sugars is I don’t generally eat from breakfasr until dinner as (oddly) I’m not hungry. But need to work on that. Generally I try to avoid grains, etc. But it’s hard sometimes! Wish bread didn’t taste so darn good!

1 Like

I remember a while back seeing a treatment for phantom limb pain that involved using a mirror to in effect fool the brain into seeing that the limb was not gone. I wonder if that’s in common use to retrain the brain now.

I did find an article that was specifically related to lower limb amputation, as it seems that most research initially was related to upper limbs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4793906/

3 Likes

Stoney, thank you for that link. Yes, tried the mirror therapy while still in rehab. Unfortunately it didn’t help. The rehab doc said my brain was “hardwired”. Not prone to being fooled. :neutral_face: I saw my PCP today who reminded me it is early days, only 8 weeks since my surgery. So, I have to just hope that, with time, things will get better. And thank goodnees he is brave enough to help me with pain meds in the meantime. I hate taking any kind of medication, but would have lost my sanity without meds lately.

1 Like

That’s disappointing. I wonder if it’s worth coming back to that. In the meantime, do what you need to for pain control.

Oh yes, please start a thread when you’re ready. You can safely off-load here. Better to go through the grief and crying jags than to bottle it all up I’d have thought, but what do I know, I’ve never experienced such a thing. Thanks for saying more … I remember the issues you had before surgery, it seemed quite a worrying situation back then so it is good to hear that you’ve come through. But obviously still very difficult. Very best wishes.

Gosh what an ordeal @kris1010. The biggest of cyberhugs. I’ve no experience to say anything that might be useful other than to say I like the rest of us are always here to just listen whenever you wish. :hugs:

2 Likes