Does anybody here do fasting?

A few weeks ago I had an over-the-top busy day, and as I was lurching from one thing to another, I didn’t have a chance to eat lunch. I didn’t feel particularly hungry anyway. Near the end of the afternoon, it seemed to me that I was in less pain than I usually am at that point in the day. Wrote it off to imagination. I had another crazy day a few days later, and I missed lunch and … I’ll be, less pain again.

That piqued my curiosity, and some of the information I found suggested that fasting can reduce pain levels, besides having other physiological benefits.

Does anybody here have comments, suggestions, experiences?

1 Like

Interesting. I have not had that experience personally. I’ve done 5-2 eating, so two fast days a week. Helped with weight but nothing else.

2 Likes

That’s interesting Seenie. These days I’d say that skipping meals makes me feel bad i.e. grouchy and tired, I’m not sure about effect on pain levels. Sometimes I’ll eat when I don’t really want just to keep feeling level. My body seems to require a rigid regime, my mind would prefer a little more flexibility!

Years ago I used to fast for 24 hours about once a month, just water and tea made with sage leaves (don’t ask!). Sometimes I’d sink into a deep slumber which was fine because back then I suffered from insomnia. I think those fasts were good for me at the time.

However I do think that any pain I have is worsened by over-eating and by that I don’t mean total blow-outs. The PsA tyrant starts tutting and complaining if I’ve just been enjoying my food a little too much for its liking.

1 Like

Seenie! I advise you to get the book “The Obesity Code”. I think I mentioned this in a different thread…my husband’s cardiologist told him about the book. According to the book, fasting is what we all should do…there’s a 16-hour fast or a 24-hour fast. Dave does the 24-hour fast EVERY DAY and, not only is he losing weight, he feels better. He started this new lifestyle because his weight was out of control, but anybody can do the “lifestyle” – he doesn’t call it dieting. I’m actually thinking about doing the 16-hour fasting, but IDK if I could stick with it. I think if it doesn’t bother you to miss breakfast, you wouldn’t have a problem with the 16-hour plan for sure.
Well, anyway, the whole idea of fasting makes a great deal of sense if you read the book! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t intentionally fast, but I’ve lost a good bit of my appetite since this PsA business popped up. I miss a lot of meals (usually lunch or breakfast), and I don’t notice any benefit or harm from it pain-wise. I did, however, miss two meals the other day and ended up without food for over 24 hours; I felt pretty terrible when I woke up, not in pain (woohoo, Plaquenil is working!) but feeling like I was about to pass out. Can’t say I felt any long-term effects from it throughout the day.

But what I can say is that you need to try to balance your nutrition in your other meals if you’re intentionally missing some. I don’t think that depriving yourself of nutrients or sufficient energy is going to do you any good in the long run.

Hello Grandma_J. Humour me … you know I mean well even if I am a bit thick! But if Dave fasts for 24 hours every day, how does he stay alive?

4 Likes

Nope, sure dont. I cant, it would wreck me. 3 a day sometimes 2 at least. Regular routines are my way of measuring where I am at.

Okay then, 22 hours! It’s called the 24-hour fast, though! You kill me! Thanks for making me laugh–my foot has nearly been making me cry, but you can always cheer me up! :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I can’t stop laughing…:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I keep thinking about this post. It’s got to be something to do with endorphins, those little thingies about which I know very little except that we can stimulate them by things we do ourselves and they make us happier and reduce pain.

I reckon you’re onto something. I guess you’d check out fasting with your doctors, especially perhaps re. the drugs you take and associated timing of fasts. I mean, if you eat really well most of the time and skipping a meal helps, it’s a win win. We probably weren’t designed to eat all the time anyway… yep, it’s just the drugs I’d check out.

1 Like

Hi Seenie, I’m wondering if you’ve been doing more fasting and, if so, how is it working for you? My husband is doing so well. I don’t think you’re obese, but the fasting he does from what he learned from the book–I guess it’s all connected with eating fewer carbohydrates and insulin production.
Anyway, if it works and you don’t get overly hungry, it’s a great concept!

1 Like

No, I kind of lost enthusiasm for that after a lazy two week holiday in Virginia. But I think I need to jump back on the wagon.

I agree, it’s probably a good way of skinning that cat if you can do it. (Apologies to our cat lovers.) Your husband is still doing well? That’s awesome. I suppose he stays out of the kitchen until it’s dinner time. See, there’s where I have my problem: I have to stay really busy and not start mucking around in the kitchen. Because once I start cooking, it’s game over … Maybe I should try the duct tape method.

1 Like

Same here…I have no will power when there are sweets around. We have so much left over Halloween candy I’ve been indulging in that all day so far! Well, I just thought to mention the 16-hour fast to you because it enables you to eat two meals a day and supposedly, according to the book anyway, it’s a very healthy life style. I’ve had good intentions to read the book but not much motivation!

1 Like

After two days of picking at Reese’s Pieces and fuzzy peach candy I was in such pain that dumping it all into the trash didn’t hurt a bit. LOL. I’ve noticed the sugar thing before.

Must get that book. I think I can do 16 hrs if I get my head around it.

I just asked my husband how hard it is to not eat every day until 3:30 or 4:00…especially because every morning I eat my oatmeal for breakfast and he loved oatmeal, and on the days I’m not working I eat lunch in front of him, too…on top of that, I snack on peanuts and who knows what in the evenings. He said he doesn’t even think about it. He eats a really healthy meal once a day and probably devours as many calories in that meal as most people would eat in two meals, so he’s not starving himself. It’s all about the insulin production…I highly recommend the book because it works so well for him (and his cardiologist who told him about it is a really smart man). I should think eventually, once he’s lost the weight, which is at least 80 lbs., he’ll go on the 16-hour fasting and eat two meals a day. This “diet” is good for anyone, not just people who want to lose weight–I guess I should read the book so I know more of what I’m promoting here! :wink:

3 Likes

Wow, you’re strong–I don’t think I could throw candy away!!!

I figured it was a case of the candy going to waste, or (the other alternative) going to waist.

:rofl:

1 Like

Yes, and isn’t it interesting how, well IDK about you, but in my case everything does go to my waist! I wish it would be more evenly distributed at least!

So flipping true Grandma_J. There are better places for a bit of ‘shape’ but if I gain weight I just look like a larger tree trunk and if I lose it I look like a skinny one. Somewhere in between the two I can just about discern a waist and that’s also when my trousers stay up better.

Maybe it’s 'cos I love painting and drawing the human form but I really admire big women who are shapely, I think it’s a lovely look. Not so good for the health I guess.

1 Like

Haha, Sybil, maybe you were a Renaissance artist in a past life–seems like chubby women were popular subjects! :flushed:

1 Like