I've fallen and I can't get up!

Okay, in fact, I did get up. Last night I fell when I was leaving someone's house. I think I missed a step and just went down, falling on my foot (I think). When I got up, it was painfully clear that I had done some real damage to my foot. No fracture on x-ray, but very bruised, swollen. Diagnosed as a sprained foot.

Today, on crutches, I went to my rheumy. I told her that for a brief moment, I thought that I had come up with a cure for all of the pain I've had. Acute pain! Wow, you really lose track of all of the joint pain when you injure yourself. However, I've already discovered that this is not, in fact, a good strategy. Now my sprained foot AND everything else hurts.

Anyway, today was a big day at the rheumy, as we've decided to get me started on Enbrel. She's doing all the precert, and I did all of the requisite tests and labs today. Hopefully I can start getting some relief soon.

Great news about the Enbrel, not so good news about the fall though. Having had two bad falls myself I can totally empathise with the shock they are to your system. Try to rest up as best you can because I didn't think I healed as quick as I used to.

I am so sorry about the fall Stoney but very glad about the Enbrel! I hope you are feeling better soon<3

Sorry to hear of your injury Stoney. Good news about the Enbrel! Sending healing thoughts your way and hope your feeling better soon!

Good luck with the Enbrel, Stoney.You deserve some relief. And so sorry that you injured yourself. At least your hand is recovered enough to manage the crutches (too soon to look for the silver lining?)!

Oh,no, Stoney - I hope you recover from the fall quickly! It's wonderful you'll be starting Enbrel soon. You really need to get a break from the pain!!! Lots of love to you!

I was totally thinking that, that at least it's been long enough since my surgery.

janeatiu said:

Good luck with the Enbrel, Stoney.You deserve some relief. And so sorry that you injured yourself. At least your hand is recovered enough to manage the crutches (too soon to look for the silver lining?)!

Stoney, it is good news that you are finally going to start a biologic, its been a long time coming for you and I am glad you have the opportunity to hopefully get some sort of relief. I am sorry about your fall and hopefully your sprained ankle will have a speedy recovery

Sorry to hear that, we all know how painful that is! rolling an ankle is more pain than a break sometimes. Hope the Enbrel work for you and stay off the ankle! next time pay attention to those steps

Almost all of the weight was on that foot. I also break falls to the left, or so it seems, as that is the hand that has taken the brunt of the damage a few times now. This one was barely a scrape on the left.

Reminds me of a few years ago when I fell while roller-blading. It was a truly impressive fall, with most of the damage to my left side. . . . Rear end, elbow, etc. Not quite certain if THIS fall was bad balance, bad luck, or a combo. Thanks for your kind wishes.

Laura E D said:

Owwweeeee! How are your hand-wrist-shoulder feeling from the fall? A few years back I found out that I break a fall left-handed after repeatedly randomly biting the dust. We were thinking that this loss of balance and pretty poor sense of balance was a side effect of uncontrolled PsA, so I do hope that things start getting easier for you with a biologic.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and much less pain as winter turns to spring

Good luck with Enbrel, I hope it works for you! Be careful!

Good luck with Enbrel Stoney. I started using Enbrel about 7 weeks ago and is working very well for me except it doesn't help my fatigue, but none of the biologics do. Good luck !

Stoney,

I cringed when I read of your fall. Hope you are on the mend & that the enbrel brings relief from the other aches and pains. Healing wishes ;)

I fell and sprained my ankle (rolled it) more than two months ago, and the rheumatologist says those tendons are so stretched everything is still loose. I don't know that strengthening the muscles in the foot will help much. I have ordered a brace for that weakened ankle and we shall see how that goes.

I take Humira, was on Enbrel before. They are both great medicines for arthritis inflammation, but it probably won't help your ankle, that is a different issue! That one takes lots of time and patience and Tylenol or Nuprin or whatever you take for pain!

Yes, the sprained foot is definitely a different issue, that care now and time will heal. I seem to have a lot of soft tissue damage from PsA, and this includes ligament laxity. I just had surgery 6 months ago to repair the base of my thumb. Last time that I injured something, it took WAY longer than I would have liked to heal, and healed damaged. I tried skimboarding (not too sure what I was thinking), and when I fell off I hurt one of my toes. No break, but healed very poorly, permanently gnarled. Podiatrist said it was likely a torn ligament. This one is not as damaged, but still cause for concern.

jennyb said:

I fell and sprained my ankle (rolled it) more than two months ago, and the rheumatologist says those tendons are so stretched everything is still loose. I don't know that strengthening the muscles in the foot will help much. I have ordered a brace for that weakened ankle and we shall see how that goes.

I take Humira, was on Enbrel before. They are both great medicines for arthritis inflammation, but it probably won't help your ankle, that is a different issue! That one takes lots of time and patience and Tylenol or Nuprin or whatever you take for pain!

Oh, NO, Stoney, I am so sorry ! That really stinks ! I sprained the same ankle twice just last spring and it was awful. I hope you feel better real soon. Tiger Balm helped me once I stopped icing it, which was pretty quick because I hate icing anything. I hope the Enbrel does great for you, too !

So glad nothing was fractured But love your title. I cannot get up either. I have no strength left in my arms so I am pretty screwed if there is nothing around for me to grab ahold of or someone to give me a lift up. Enbrel is a great drug, fingers crossed it will help you !

I took my first dose of Enbrel. In my overeagerness (is that a word?) I didn't wait long enough for it to warm up, so it was stingy. It was an autoinjector, so super duper easy to use. I've given myself injections in the past, so the injection part itself doesn't freak me out too much. My husband stuck around for moral support, but looked way far away while I actually injected it. He's very sensitive to these things.

Here's to hoping it all goes well, and no reactions.

You go! good luck! I think as long as you use one with a preservative in it, it will sting. So what, I say. Humira stings, but it is a small price to pay.

I just have a feeling Enbrel is going to be a game changer for you Stoney. I am not sure why but I feel it deep in my bones. I think you are slowly but surely going to go into a remission with staying power! I want to hear about all your activities but less injuries as it happens for you.<3