Oh my...sudden severe pain

Last night, I cooked dinner and started to feel my feet hurting as usual. Later in the evening, I got up from my chair to lay down. It was so sudden: extreme pain almost everywhere. The most intense pain was in my neck, lower back, left foot and ankle.but, i felt it almost in every joint in my body. I am so much better today that it is even hard to believe and truly recall how much it hurt! My legs/ankles were shaking from weakness when I tried to stand last night.

I just had to share this with people who could understand. I’ve been afraid of taking med.s but my appt. is May 3rd with the Rheumy. Last night, that did not feel soon enough. I ended up taking a total of 1 1/2 pain pills, 2 Alleve and 11/2 muscle relaxers (not at one time but over the night).

I only have one more pain pill left from the foot doctor. He gave me 15 and two cortisone shots in my left foot.

Oh yea, my skin itched like crazy and I had the chills as if I had the flu too. I really thought maybe I was coming down with something, but I’m not sick today. Just back to my regular daily aches.

Thanks for letting me go on. I decided this would be better than calling a family member and making them worry about something they have no control over, but would want to control it.

Coincidentally? we had a big storm going through last night.

I'm glad you're feeling better today. Can you wait until May 3rd for your app't?

If that happens again I am not sure if I should. My GP’s office closed at noon today so I couldn’t call him. The Rheumy is a new one for me.i guess I could call and see if there are any cancellations.

I feel better today, but its 3:00 and I’ve only gotten up once from bed! Glad I have the day off!

I feel like that before a big weather change when my disease is not controlled, though I can last up to 3 days. I sometimes throw up from the pain, I flu-like symptoms, the pain is mindblowing. I do have adequate pain meds, prednisone if I need it, etc (basically my own pharmacy) but sometimes it hits quickly and I don't realize how bad it is before I'm in the middle of it. I've been this way since I was dx. I've learned to self medicate, treat myself gently, and ride it out.

Thanks everyone who responded. I left a message at the Rheumy’s to call if they have any cancellations.

Lovemydogs, yes a well meaning friend told me how laying around makes her back pain worse. I know it was a suggestion, and a good one but today I am not up to it. Some of the pain increased again tonight but not as bad as last night. I feel like i have a fever too, again. I like your screen name!

No coincidence - but then you KNEW that! Yep, that is where it hits me too; except it begins with a slight stiffening of the neck, then the shoulder tendons start getting cranky. It then moves to my wrists and ankles and then finally to the feet. We've had storms moving in and out the past few days, I will feel fine for 4 days and then WHAM!, I hear 'you are limping, are you OK?' I don't even notice that I am limping, am just trying to compensate, I guess. Right now I am getting alot of lighting strikes in my bones, and cannot get to sleep even though I am exhausted.

My dad passed away a month ago, my mom is having health problems because her rock is gone. I am trying to handle getting the paperwork necessary to get all of this done smoothly, have her in a rehab center so that they can stabalize her health while they are evaluating her health care needs. Assisted Living or Live in Nurse? I am also running my business and the sliver of light in this mess is that my son got accepted to his 2nd pick and got an excellent financial aid package. I am so happy for him!

Unsolicited advice is just that, eh?

Lovemydogs said:

You hit the nail on the head about calling family members who will worry about it when there isn't a darn thing they can do to help but give unwanted, uneducated and unneeded advice and want to control the situation!! That's why I don't like talking about this disease with my family...cuz even though they really know nothing about it..they all of a sudden become expert medical practitioners...

Glad your feeling better today!!

Approaching storms have the effect of making me tired and sore. When the storm is here, I can flare majorly, and sometimes it's like you describe- just going about my business and then the pain hits. During one storm, I was curled up in bed and my husband asked if I was ever getting out of bed, and I answered, "When the storm is over!" I usually don't do well not moving much, but during storms it's sometimes just too painful to move.

Last Saturday, out of no where, I was in agony beyond imagination. I thought I was getting the flu again (had killer flu 3 weeks ago) but that didn’t hurt this much. I had chills and extreme fatigue…my back pain reminded me of labour lol…I went to bed early…took extra pain pills…didn’t sleep all night…swore to myself that I would make doc give me better pain meds ASAP. Monday morning came and I am back to my normal level of aches. PsA sucks. The only consistency for my symptoms is inconsistency. Your are right…this is a great place to feel heard and understood. I’m glad to hear your pain didn’t last too long:)
Last week I was told that I may have fibromyalgia…maybe chronic fatigue as well. I guess if they throw enough diseases at me a few will stick lol.

Toriop, sorry to hear about your Dad passing and your Mom having difficulty with the transition. Yea for your son, that’s big news! Especially in this economy!

Mum, that’s how it felt for me during the storm!

Going to the Rheumy tomorrow. He had a cancellation. Hope he can help. I still don’t have a diagnosis…

Toriop said:

No coincidence - but then you KNEW that! Yep, that is where it hits me too; except it begins with a slight stiffening of the neck, then the shoulder tendons start getting cranky. It then moves to my wrists and ankles and then finally to the feet. We've had storms moving in and out the past few days, I will feel fine for 4 days and then WHAM!, I hear 'you are limping, are you OK?' I don't even notice that I am limping, am just trying to compensate, I guess. Right now I am getting alot of lighting strikes in my bones, and cannot get to sleep even though I am exhausted.

My dad passed away a month ago, my mom is having health problems because her rock is gone. I am trying to handle getting the paperwork necessary to get all of this done smoothly, have her in a rehab center so that they can stabalize her health while they are evaluating her health care needs. Assisted Living or Live in Nurse? I am also running my business and the sliver of light in this mess is that my son got accepted to his 2nd pick and got an excellent financial aid package. I am so happy for him!

Great news for your son! Don't over do it - you have a lot on your plate. Sorry about your Dad and hope your Mom's living situation gets sorted out quickly and everyone is happy with the decision.

Frances said:

Toriop said:

I'm so glad you got an earlier appointment. Let us know how it goes.

Clr said:

Going to the Rheumy tomorrow. He had a cancellation. Hope he can help. I still don't have a diagnosis...

Hi, I put how it went under a new heading: New Doc promotes Vegan diet…

Been having a flare for a while but it has mostly been in my knees, shoulders, elbows and hands. After a long day (combined with a cold), I got up this morning and almost fell down because the pain in my heels was excrutiating. My feet normally hurt in th mornings but it is usually bearable. Not today. I hobbled around the bed on my toes until I could sit down. The weather has been changing a lot these days so maybe that could be the cause. I hope it goes as quickly as it came, for both of us.

Hi Johnny reb, I hope you are feeling a little better. I did have to take a pain med, muscle relaxor and Alleve to get to sleep after mine hit. Hope you’re resting now.

I stayed home and kept myself off my feet. I should have cleaned the house and folded the clothes but I'm hoping that by staying off them today that I'll be up and around quicker. I have an 8th month old that I care for in the mornings so I don't really go stronger than that. This caught me by surprise.

"stronger than celebrex" oops! I got ahead of myself typing.