How long does it take for Simponi to kick in?

Started on Simponi on Halloween (almost 3 weeks ago). Wondering how long it's supposed to take to kick in completely.

The 1st week was awesome and I immediately noticed a change, with improvement daily. Then progress stopped and the pain, fatigue and stiffness got worse (but not as bad as it was before Simponi). Now it seems like I'm stuck at about 50-60% improved (which I think is supposed to be pretty good, right?). I'm still taking Celebrex along with the Simponi. I tried skipping a dose of the Celebrex to see if I'm ready to stop that (my rheumy said I could stop taking it when I feel better on the Simponi). Big mistake, it set me back and I paid for it the next day.

If I do anything physical at all (or dare to wear cute shoes to work, God forbid), I end up feeling it; I'm ok as long as I do nothing. Feel like I'm being a huge baby and really impatient, but I'm so tired and so ready to feel better and be normal again. Also, will be doing my first "self-injection" in a week and a half and starting to get a little nervous about it.

Would love some words of advice from anyone who has experience with Simponi.

1 Like

Hi,

For me it took until my forth injection until I really started to feel the ongoing benefits. But I have been feeling HEAPS better!Untill of course, the approval for my new prescripton took far too long to come through and I was almopst two weeks late for the injection, I have started to go backwards again. However I now know that Simponi works for me, and I have just giving myslf the long overdue shot! I know thinkgs will get better again.

On the self injection front, I had been using the Auto-injector pens, but they have been unavailable here in Australia, so today I had to give myself my fist injection using a pre filled syringe. I was really nervous about it, but it was actually a lot easier that I thought it would be and it didn't hurt nearly as much.

I hope things improve for you! Good luck and keep on pushing through the bad :)

Louise

1 Like

Thank you so much! My rheumy gave me a prescription to cover 4 months and my next appointment with her will be after my 1st at home shot. It's good to know that it might take awhile before it settles in and that maybe giving myself shots won't be so bad. I really appreciate it!

Louise said:

Hi,

For me it took until my forth injection until I really started to feel the ongoing benefits. But I have been feeling HEAPS better!Untill of course, the approval for my new prescripton took far too long to come through and I was almopst two weeks late for the injection, I have started to go backwards again. However I now know that Simponi works for me, and I have just giving myslf the long overdue shot! I know thinkgs will get better again.

On the self injection front, I had been using the Auto-injector pens, but they have been unavailable here in Australia, so today I had to give myself my fist injection using a pre filled syringe. I was really nervous about it, but it was actually a lot easier that I thought it would be and it didn't hurt nearly as much.

I hope things improve for you! Good luck and keep on pushing through the bad :)

Louise

I honestly have not been having great luck with Simponi. I have been on it for 9 months, along with MTX and am still having daily issues with severe pain in the hands and feets. I've been on Enbrel and Humira prior to Simponi with no luck either. Everyone responds differently, and I know some people have improvement right away and some I've heard it can take up to 6 months.