Getting the rest that you (and your sleepmate) need

As has been discussed in other posts, the onset of spring and blooming trees has left many of us with allergies feeling a little worse for wear. I'm on the verge of a flare (the "f" word I dare NOT say out loud) and haven't been sleeping well because of the usual pain, inflammation, stiffness [insert your own complaints here]. On the advice of my rheumatologist, on nights I'm antsy (in my pants-y) because of the inflammation and find sleep very difficult I take a sleeping pill to ensure I get rest. Last night was one such.

Well, on falling FAST asleep I promptly started suffering from some aggressive post-nasal drip (see aforementioned allergy comment) which brought on a bought of coughing. I had no idea that I was coughing (see aforementioned sleeping pill consumption) and continued with what seemed like a pleasant and restful sleep. Unfortunately the rhythmic bouts of throat-clearing and coughing left my spouse a little frustrated and some thirty minutes into my coughing adventure I was nudged and handed two cough lozenges. After thanking my spouse (in my sleep) but failing to do anything except grip the lozenges in my hand, I was once again nudged and this time instructed to unwrap the lozenge and benefit from its throat-coating benefits. Apparently I complied.

I recall NONE of this and woke rested. Sure enough, though, there was one unopened lozenge and one empty wrapper on the nightstand this morning.

Moral:

• (after consultation with your doctor) allergy medicine is recommended
  • (after consultation with your doctor) sleeping pills are helpful but heed the warnings about having no recollection of your antics in the morning
  • happy sleepmates are essential (no physician consultation required)!

Ah the things we do to keep our spouses happy! I have wicked allergies when my PsA is out of control. I take a nasal spray and inhaler. If I forget I cough all night. Luckily (!?) my husband snores so loudly he does not hear me but I end up feeling like I have boxed 12 rounds and with fluid in my lungs, either due to multiple rib breaks in the past or due to the smoking which I have been unable to quit. I smoke outside which really helps but I still need the inhalers in spring and when my bios aren't working well. I may try some laratadine (generic of claritin) and see if that helps.

Claritin helped dry me up today. We’ll see if it helps tonight.

At least you didn't wake with a throat lozenge stuck in your hair! Nights like that force one or the other of us into the 'snore' room. We moved last year into one of the apartments of in a duplex I own, and a critical item on the list of must haves was an extra bedroom. We both have issues that make sleep difficult and the additional room is a no guilt way we can be sure we both sleep.

Yep, separate bedrooms guarantee the best nights sleep for both of us. My hubby gets up at 5:00am and leaves the house about 30 - 45 minutes later Monday to Friday so I'm in the spare room and then in the interests of trying to stay married we share the main bedroom at weekends. He's away on a business trip this week so I get a whole weeks worth of good sleep. Yippee!