Fatigue Busters: The Real Blessings!

I was doing my "chores" today and counting my blessings like a good girl. But I got a little rebellious and had a moment (or two) of feeling sorry for myself. I have to do my exercises to feel better, same with chores. That got me thinking my husband is one of my great blessings. He is more than willing to vacuum and mop but not as often or in the same way I like (you can't really get it all up if you don't use ALL the heads that came with it. It's more like he runs the vacuum threatening the dust bunnies! He's such a guy (sorry Lamb). Or if I am really blue, frustrated and in pain half way through something he cheers me up with, "I like it better that way anyway". He's even said it about my hair on a really bad day. He is a peach! He is the biggest, and least mentioned blessing on my list.

Then I realized I am a blessing on my list too. I attack PsA problems with the same zeal I bring to other problems. I have a lot of problems with my right hand. My husband has taken over the vacuuming (see above) but sometimes I want to do it. I bought some swiffer things put on Harry Belafonte and clean with my left hand. When I get tired of switching it back to my left hand and reminding myself my hip is about done anyway. But i feel a glow of self sufficiency. I do not guarantee the same results if you listen to Miley Cyrus and her wrecking ball.... Shhh Harry is singing about the Christ baby so long ago..........

I bring to each problem an inherent gift of frugality. How cheaply (in time, money and precious energy) can I accomplish therapy for my hands, a cleaner floor and a better mood! That is a blessing I am. Shhh I am shaking my hips to "Shake your body in time"! "She go off like a rocket!" .......

I forgot to add, what are yours?!

We got rid of the carpet. Now I have lovely hardwood floors, and use a swiffer duster and a mop that has the solution built into a small tank. It’s not a swiffer, it’s slightly greener with reusable pads and refillable solution tank. I also got a steam mop with the same sort of set up for my tile floors. These help a ton. I have also found that I have to keep up on things, so I do a little bit all the time. I have baskets at each end of my steps that go up or down with things to put away. I make sure that I get each dish I dirty gets to the dishwasher right away instead of waiting for the pile to accumulate.

One of my best decisions recently was to ditch my heavy pottery dishes for Correlle plates. They weight about half and save so much of my energy. Even the serving pieces such as large platters and bowls are lighter than the smallest of my old set. I can get my dishes put away on all but the worst days. I also went through my bakeware and mixing bowls and got rid of or replaced the heavier items. I ditched the crystal for lighter drinkware too.

I keep my hair short so that I don’t need a huge haridryer and it takes only minutes to “do”. I got these little acrylic containers for my makeup that sit out on the counter. I pruned everything down, so there is plenty of room and I’m not lifting a big container from the shelf anymore.

Basically, I’m learning to simplify and pare down all of my junk. The more junk, the more picking up has to be done.

I love this thread!

Some things I do to work/move more efficiently and to bust fatigue are...

I go outside several times a day just to breathe in some fresh air and absorb some sunlight. It works wonders.

If I'm making a meal that takes lots of prep work, I either engage my husband and/or kids in the work, or do it little bits at a time.

We have instituted a routine in my house in which the dishwasher is empty in the morning and everyone is responsible for putting the dishes, etc. they use in the dishwasher during the day. When my husband gets home from work, he runs the dishwasher after he eats. Next up, having everyone hand wash right away what doesn't go in the dishwasher.

I plan my shopping list and only go to the store one time a week. If it is not on the list then I do not get it.

I have bought a reacher type of device that allows me to pick things off the floor so I do not have to bend over strain my back, knees, etc.

I too use a swifter and a light mop to do the floors. My husband purchased for Christmas last year a new front loader washer so I do no have to stretch my arm into the bottom of the tub to get the clothes out. Now all I have to do is work side to side to do the laundry.

I do a little at a time instead of trying to do it all at once.

Recently meditation is a fatigue buster. But you don't get the housework done while you're at it although there are a lot mindfulness activities which encompass daily routine events. Although the mindfulness folks ask that you don't do any event mindfully that involve knives or other sharp objects. Just in case you forget your task. I have mindfully scooped cat litter. For a week. It did help get through the job and taught me to look for the good in doing the task. But I did find myself mindfully breathing through my clenched teeth...

Honestly? Having my kids and husband take over most of the household chores. I've been teaching my kids since they were little how to do things, in advance of the day that I couldn't (progressive disease ya know). In the past 5 years I've really no longer been able to care for the house very much. My older son vacuums, my younger son sweeps all the hardwoods, my husband does whatever dishes don't go in the dishwasher. My kids do their own laundry, and sometimes have to do everything for mine but put things away. The kids take turns emptying the dishwasher. My husband has had to take on about 1/2 the pet care (just cat litterboxes at this point), while I care for our bunnies.

I *can* do all the sorting and organizing, which is what makes most of the mess anyway. We try and keep things pared down pretty well. I always have an ongoing pile to go to Goodwill in my closet. I also do a bigger sort each year of clothes the kids have outgrown, things we don't need anymore. If the house LOOKS organized, you don't notice as much that it needs cleaning :)