Drink your water people

For the first time in ten years I presented mysel in the ER yesterday morning with severe back pain radiating to the groin... CLASSIC PsA right???? Its also classic kidney stones. After spending the day trying to pass them on my own ( not all that bad, that dilaudid through your IV is some gooooooooooood stuff) they finally took me to surgery. I think I can repave my driveway. In anyevent who should stop by in preop to remind me beer is not a sustitute for water and she was serious about no less than 96 oz a day of real water....... That girl ( my rheumy) lets no opprtunity for a I told you so go by) I'm gonna miss her on her maternity leave.........

Anyway ita long summer. All you MTX folks need to drink lots - water too.

Sorry you had to go through that. Will definitely up my water intake, thanks for the warning.

Was that your first bout with kidney stones? If so and they had to place a stint, be ever so careful, the stint itself can be more uncomfortable and painful than those darned stones, hopefully if they did place one in you its only for 3 days and not 6 weeks. Take care

The other way to look at it is that you need to have a glass of water with your glass of beer. Glad you're feeling better, sorry it came down to surgery.

Laaaamb! I was wondering whether you’d gone undercover or something. This is a bummer! I’m so sorry.
Get better soon, and listen to that girl.

Sorry you went through that. Saw my son go through the same thing. Hope you are feeling better.

Feel better lamb.

Yikes! I hope you feel much improved soon. My husband had a kidney stone once, and it was pretty awful to see the pain he was in.

I’m there with you Lamb, no fun kidney stones. Had a bout of it myself in Jan this year…I was able to pass my own but was left to get on with it at home with inadequate pain meds (that’s after blissful IVs in hospital overnight). Climbed the walls for 6 hour bouts for a week or so then they were gone…So yes please drink water!!! Especially as once you’ve had stones you have a high chance of reoccurrence Ouch! No thanks

Actually passed several on my own while in the ER the big one got stuck so had top go to surgery where they put a stint in after pulling the bugger out. Hard to believe something not much bigger than a pencil eraser could cause that much pain. Of course the female ER doc ganged up with my my Rheumy to remind me I was having a totally normal female experience from child birth to the insertion of objects into my privates with strings hanging out (note to you guys out there: do not get that string tangled into your underpants or a whole new kind of pain can occur)

All in all I understand why all nine of my children are adopted........

You said, "All in all I understand why all nine of my children are adopted........"

Yes, but at the end of childbirth, I had a baby in my arms, instead of a teeny very painful stone. The hormones involved make a huge difference.

Why are those women docs so mean to our Lamb? Booooooo…

ROLF

tntlamb said:

Actually passed several on my own while in the ER the big one got stuck so had top go to surgery where they put a stint in after pulling the bugger out. Hard to believe something not much bigger than a pencil eraser could cause that much pain. Of course the female ER doc ganged up with my my Rheumy to remind me I was having a totally normal female experience from child birth to the insertion of objects into my privates with strings hanging out (note to you guys out there: do not get that string tangled into your underpants or a whole new kind of pain can occur)

All in all I understand why all nine of my children are adopted........

Lemonade supposedly helps prevent one type of kidney stone. Try swapping out a daily beer for a shandy and see if that helps!

Whats your favorite recipe????

Louise said:

Lemonade supposedly helps prevent one type of kidney stone. Try swapping out a daily beer for a shandy and see if that helps!

Sorry Lamb, feel better soon!

Ouch! Poor lamb that sucks! I scanned a poor lady yesterday and found a kidney stone but the radiologist didn’t believe me that it was one. I told him even though it didn’t look like a typical stone, I was fairly certain, but of course we don’t want to send her off for surgery unless we are 100%. So he agreed to let me send her for a CT. 5 mins later the radiologist came and knocked on my office door and led me to CT - and there it was plain as day! He told me it was a good pick up and well done on backing myself. The lovely lady patient came and gave me a big hug and made my day :slight_smile: so glad I stuck to my guns. Good luck with a speedy recovery! Xox and good tip on the water I will definitely keep that in mind when starting Mtx!

As this ride started with mtx and from the research I have done, the greatest suggestion I found was to drink 50% of your body weight in ounces of water a day. I'm not a doc and don't know if it's true but I feel great when I do and can tell the days I am slacking. Good luck to you and hope you are feeling well soon

I hope you are feeling better, maybe you could try adding natural flavorings to the water if you are not crazy about the taste. I am not a fan of tap water, so, I buy spring water and it's 2 for a $1 at the grocery store. I am glad you got some relief with the pain meds, too bad the PsA meds don't work that good on pain.

Lamb, isn't the classic shandy 1/2 sparkling lemonade and 1/2 lager?

A fine establishment in the town where I went to college featured a beverage that might work, too: in a frosted mug, pour one shot each of tequila and Rose's Lime Juice. Fill to the top with cold Miller's High Life, and you have yourself a Scotty. In the late '70s, one of those would set you back about $0.50, and tasted pretty darn good on a hot summer evening. We'd have to check on the effectiveness of lime juice against kidney stones, but if lemon works, the lime is worth a shot. (Maybe two!)

Oh my! The kidney stone shuffle is excruciating. At least you did pass a few on your own( with drugs). A friend of mine drinks two glasses of water to every non water drink etoh or not. She finds it easier to keep on top of her h2o content that way.

Hopefully you have no further problems and can enjoy your summer and stay hydrated. Glad to hear you are ok.