Do you find help from your Furry Friends?

Its Monday, which is always a day that I find exhausting from MTX dose at the weekend

I’ve noticed my 5 year old black and white cat called Frankie is a very caring creature. He’s never been a cuddly cat but always snuggles with me on a Monday. When my little bengal cross kitten Clive won’t leave me alone because he wants to play, Frankie takes the little fella off and they play rough and tumble on the floor.

When I lost my beautiful old springer spaniel Molly this time last year I didn’t realise Frankie would step up as the chief animal carer.

I’ve never been without pets and I’m so thankful to my furry friends :slight_smile:

Last night my cat was SOOOO... loving. It was an Enbrel night. I do believe they know when we need a little extra fur.

You aren't kiddding about MTX Monday. I took my third dose yesterday. The last two seemed to be OK. Today, not so much. Runny nose, having hot flashes, sweats, tired, just not myself. Not a good day to be at work.

Yes! I do not know what I wold do without my 2 dogs, especially my Chesapeake Bay Retriever Jack. The oddest thing in the world is that he has an autoimmune disease just like his mama, similisr to Crohns in dogs. he is on prednisone and Azathioprine an immune suppressant. My vet told me he is the longest living dog he has treated as most owners do not continue the treatment as it takes time and money. He is such a support for me literally, this morning I could not get up becuse of my back, I would have been crawling and I use him as a support to stand up as I have not gotten a cane as of yet

:( I also noticed that when I have a flare up sometimes he does it is all very strange, we are kindred spirits.

Today I was in bed with a massive migraine and our beautiful ginger puss Garfield curled up with me and stayed there all day. When I was throwing up, he was sitting beside me looking so worried. He can be such a smoocher when he wants to be.

We recently lost our old dog and he woke hubby up many times or alerted him to when I wasn't breathing in my sleep. If hubby wasn't home, he would nudge me or whine till I woke up. I certainly miss my little man.

My mini doxi Suki gives me so mich love an comfort. She really combats the loneliness that the pain creates. And ahe always knows what hurts the most. She gently rests her head on that spot and calms me down. What a lifesaver!

Its so good to hear your stories of your animal friends and how they help…when I used to work in a sheltered housing scheme for people with disability, we often used to bring some of our dogs in to the day room so the residents could pet them, it can help lower Bp, calm anxiety and give a feeling of wellbeing :slight_smile:

For sure! My little rat terrier puppy keeps me entertained and laughing (as well as making me move around just enough), but my ten year old Vizsla has the uncanny ability of being able to detect what hurts. He will gently lick the foot that aches the most: seems to get it right every time. And yes, there is lots of evidence that pets contribute to overall good health. My favourite part of the day is when I take the dogs for a “walk” – they could care less that I’m on my scooter!
Seenie

I have never been petless either. we have a new one year old from my son. He sleeps with me. I find he is spending all his time with me. I am in the midst of a amrriage breakup. and am moving out this week. I have to leave him behind for now and just dont know what I will do without him.

I too love my animals. Infact, I told my hubby that we will always have animals in our lives. I have a Catahoula Mix dog, Dodger, and a cat, Sarah, and they are both the love of my life. I am not able to walk Doder any more but I do play with him at home. The cat is getting old but she does love to cuddle.

I literally cannot live without a dog. My Sheltie is my constant companion, and her well-being is my top priority. But because I am her sole caregiver, I worry what will happen to her if I have a disabling health problem. Who will walk and feed and groom her? (I do not have friends or family nearby.) I see lots of dogs surrendered to humane societies because their owner was ill and could no longer care for them. I don't want that to ever happen to me.

Pets are amazing creatures. I have two dogs, both Bichon/Shih Tzu crosses, and I cannot imagine my life without them as I am no longer working. My female, we have had since she was a puppy and she is completely in tune with me. SHe has been with me through my 3 back surgeries, and after each surgery and lenghthy recovery would come and lay with me, only getting up to eat and go out to do her business. She would gently snuggle in and would poke her nose at my incisions and whimper trying to lick at them (which we didn't let her do as they were surgical incisions). My little fella is a loving little guy I rescued from the Humane society 4 years ago, and he is the love of my life, always sitting on my lap and finding a way to make me laugh as I swear he thinks he is human. Both of my dogs are older and have chronic illnesses (one has Addisons disease and one has Cushings disease) which require expensive medications and frequent trips to the vet, but I will do it no matter what as they are so important to my quality of life!!! Pets are so amazing and I do sincerely believe that they help people heal, and feel so much better.

Do not think that far down the road. If it should come this, there are mobile grooming services that comes to your home. You can always hire a teenager to come and walk your dog and feed her. But please do not think about what could happen it will only bring you down. Enjoy your dog!

hikerdeb said:

I literally cannot live without a dog. My Sheltie is my constant companion, and her well-being is my top priority. But because I am her sole caregiver, I worry what will happen to her if I have a disabling health problem. Who will walk and feed and groom her? (I do not have friends or family nearby.) I see lots of dogs surrendered to humane societies because their owner was ill and could no longer care for them. I don’t want that to ever happen to me.

Here is my best friend, Daisy.

She’s beautiful X :slight_smile:

Louise, what a topic. I have 3 dogs, 2 mini schnauzers and a little female Yorkie. Petting my Yorkie's fur is so calming and it releases endorphins in me, creating a sense of well being. I don't feel alone when I am home, hurting and everyone is out doing their thing. Don't know how I'd do life without my babies.

Love this topic! My husband and I were talking about our cats and my PsA just yesterday!!!

We have two cats. Garci is a black and white tripod (she has three legs - but still thinks she has her missing back leg). She's the old lady of the house - we adopted her several years ago when she was 6. She is great with the kids. We also have Lola, who we rescued around the time my PsA was getting a lot worse. If I'm sitting, she's usually on me or cuddled up next to me. She kneads her paws into areas of my body that are bothering me the most. She curls up on/next to the joints that are hurting the most. She admonishes me (vocally!!!) when I get up and reminds me (vocally and by pawing at me) that I need to sit and relax for a while when I'm doing things around the house. As I type this, she's curled around my left knee .. my computer is in my lap, so my arm is over her and her nose is tucked under my left wrist.

I love my dog! he always makes me feel better because he is so loving. Even the days i cant play and just lay down he will snuggle with me or randomly stop by and lick my hand or whatever part of me he can reach when im on the couch. I definitely think animals have a way of knowing when their owner isnt feeling well.

Beautiful pic Nym :slight_smile:

I have 2 dogs and three cats but my turtle recently ran away from home! Too funny. I wonder if people with PsA are pet lovers! Hey maybe we found the cause of PsA.........