Autoimmune disease associated with Dementia?

I recently had a PET scan that came back abnormal. I have been diagnosed with dementia!! All tests will be repeated to confirm diagnosis. I have read that there is a connection with Auto immune diseases & dementia. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this?

I have read that chronic inflamation can lead to dementia. Elisabeth I probably would get another opinion.

Yes, 2trees all tests will be repeated at another hospital in 3-6 months. Dementia does not run in my family. It is very scarey. I did read however that autoimmune dementia is easily treated with immune suppressant drugs. My rheumy just told me he wants to put me on remacade. We are now waiting for insurance approval. So I am thinking if we start the remacade by the time I have the tests repeated, if it is autoimmune dementia hopefully we should see improvement.

Elizabeth, how frightening for you! I hate that you have to wait so long for additional tests that might rule this out for you. Sounds like a long, hard waiting period ahead. I have never heard of any association of dementia with auto-immune disease, so I'm no help, I'm afraid, but if I do come across anything useful, I'll certainly pass it along. I'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I had no idea ... but definitely something I'll educate myself about.

HUGS to you! What a shock that diagnosis must be!

Just completed some quick searching about autoimmune dementia. Looks like it is very often reversible; better results come with early treatment. Major work seems to be coming from Mayo Clinic. Might be worth contacting them for info and/or clinical participation in research.

Hi, Elizabeth

I'm sorry to hear about the possibility, that is extremely worrying. The fact that they want to re-do the tests, though, means they aren't sure, so that's a good thing.

Yes, I've seen mention of the connection between inflammatory diseases and dementia, as well as connections with other conditions such as heart disease. Worrying. And all the more reason to do whatever it takes to get, and keep, that inflammation under control.

I'm hoping your get the approval for the remicaid asap! Fingers crossed for you!

Seenie

Dear Elizabeth,

This is very difficult to believe, surely you were stunned! I read this a while ago, had to back off, think about it, do a little research before responding. Let's go to the bright side of this, if they are having you go to another hospital for this to be repeated then it is surely not a 'bullet proof' result!

I have to tell you that I doubt if many people with Fibromyalgia, or PsA or many other debilitating disorders could pass the cognition and math tests if that makes you feel any better.

You surely don't show any signs that I have noticed and I have been through all of this site in just a few days.

Now, all of that said, if it was a scan, MRI, or something of that sort, I would demand the films or disc and be in a Doctors office that could read them and be on them with questions of proof like Perry Mason!!!!

Don't 'crash' yourself with this news, even if you do show the slightest inkling, there are great results for treating it at early stage.

My Grandmother had it, but she was really old when it really showed up, even with massive head trauma from a terrible car crash, the dementia was alway attributed to the trauma, but she carried the PsA, so perhaps I will one day have to look this in the eye as well.

We stand with you, Elizabeth, you are not alone!

Wishing you well,

SK

We have to put our faith in the scientists, Doctors and in God, be as educated on all aspects of this disease as possible and get them by the neck tie and demand the proof.

Thank you so much for this information. I will look into it & see if they can be of any help.

Byrd Feeder said:

Just completed some quick searching about autoimmune dementia. Looks like it is very often reversible; better results come with early treatment. Major work seems to be coming from Mayo Clinic. Might be worth contacting them for info and/or clinical participation in research.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. You are all the greatest. I am contacting my own neurology doctor & reminding her of all my autoimmune issues. If this is connected to my autoimmune issues,time is of the essence if this can be reversed at all. I will be sure to keep you all updated.

I am sending you HUGS!!! and lots of good thoughts and prayers. I sincerely hope it's not dementia. If it somehow turns out to be so, the info from the others on here makes it sound like it can be treated and reversed. Thankfully!!! Please let us know how you make out with this; I sincerely want to know.

Ok so here's the update. Saw my neurologist this week. She tells me she does not think I have alzheimer's. However something is causing my hypoprofusion of the brain. It is possible it is autoimmune related. Also possible it is due to the concussion I have from the car accident I was in this past October. We will know more following the next SPECT scan sometime in Oct. So with that said, I will keep everyone posted as I know more.

That sounds much more hopeful! Not perfect news, but better than a rubber stamped Alzheimer's dx! I hope they can get to the bottom of this for your sake. Hugs and blessings to you.

Elizabeth Rodriquez said:

Ok so here's the update. Saw my neurologist this week. She tells me she does not think I have alzheimer's. However something is causing my hypoprofusion of the brain. It is possible it is autoimmune related. Also possible it is due to the concussion I have from the car accident I was in this past October. We will know more following the next SPECT scan sometime in Oct. So with that said, I will keep everyone posted as I know more.

Thank goodness, Elizabeth! It could have been so much worse. Stay strong, and keep us in the loop.

Seenie

What a roller coaster for you. My heart goes out to you. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers..

Elizabeth Rodriquez said: