Anyone seen my brain?

I recently replied to a post here bragging that my brain fog was much better, well it is when it comes to finding words though goodness knows there's room for improvement. But what's really bugging me at the moment is difficulty concentrating. My mind seems to slip & slide when I try to get a grip on anything. Even daydreaming or watching tv is hard work. It's the changes that worry me, I've never had any problem slipping into a good reverie or immersing myself in a film before.

There are definitely changes in cognitive function. Oddly, practical things are okay e.g. I was possibly a bit quicker than my companions on holiday recently when it came to calculating the cost of stuff in foreign currency - maybe a consequence of being poorer than ever! Again, that's different though, I used to be a right numpty about such matters. The 'me' I've put up with all these years seems to be changing fast. Imagination & concentration are going for a burton, but no problems adding up a row of figures. What the heck is happening?

I am going to put myself on a regime of daily reading, another thing that is getting harder. I used to be a history teacher, maybe the constant reading the job entailed is what's lacking. I don't want to be brain of Britain, I'd just like my old brain back.

In terms of physical function my PsA is much better than it was. But it's sneaky. I can see and feel my feet getting worse, my hands too but they work okay and I have little actual pain, just weird sensations mainly. It was the same with my knees up until a certain point. My rheumy says my PsA is not controlled. It is hard accepting the need for drugs when I am lucky enough to have so little pain but rationally (with some difficulty!) I tend to think that my dimness is due to PsA rather than drug toxicity. But then, like many people, taking a whole lot of drugs is new to me so how would I really know?

Yep I’ve seen it! Its gone on holiday to the Bahamas with mine! X

I think Louise has the answer. There’s a small island in the Bahamas where all of our PsA brains go on holiday. It’s warm, sunny, has a couple of palm trees and (of course) a bar serving fancy tropical drinks. By late afternoon, there are a lot of PsA brains behaving badly. ROFL
Seriously, my brain is one of the casualties of PsA as well. I have my good days and my not-so-good days, but overall, I don’t think I’m as sharp as I was before my PsA hit bottom. The Enbrel is helping a lot, though.

LOL Seenie! X

Oh no! You’re the weakest link in your village team? That is tragic … had I known, I wouldn’t have made fun of brains going to the Bahamas and ordering those fancy drinks with an umbrella garnish. Sorry. ROFL

We would never bench you on our team, Sybil. You know that, don’t you!

Sybil--I'm usually quite loquacious and find a lot of ease using words. Lately, though, I have the hardest time simply explaining a process to another person. I find the most difficulty in recalling the names of common objects and that then delays my explanation of the first this, then that, kind of process. It gets me really frustrated. It does seem to be affected more when I'm tired, but this is definitely a side effect of the illness or the drugs. I seem to remember reading something about a connection between cognition and PSA but, of course, I don't remember where I read it!!

Yup! :frowning: :slight_smile:

Sybil, I cant remember my Tai Chi routine either! I’ve not being doing it as long as you but it usually just flows, I’m better when I don’t think about it…as soon as I try to engage my brain I falter.
I’m definately better when I’m in very familiar company, think my brain panics otherwise.
Personally I believe its the disease not the drugs that causes the cognitive issues, but often the drugs can add to it I suppose

breathe. i assume you remember how to do that...

Yeah, it is happening alot to me as well. I just hope none of our brains get lost in the Bermuda Triangle while they are enjoying blue seas, sandy beaches and palm trees :-)

It seems to be common...I suffer a lot from some timers...My sister was diagnosed last month, she hasn't started treatment yet..but she too has some timers. She posted Happy Birthday on my face book last Tuesday, and today is my birthday :-)

My brain is totally in the Bahamas and my body really needs to be there too!

thank you Sybil :-)

sybil said:

Thanks Jules & TaraLynn.

And Happy Birthday TaraLynn - hope there's a great year ahead of you!

My daughter and I had a conversation today that went something like this:

Me-What is the name of that thing?

Her-What thing?

Me-You know, that thing!

Her, eyes big, head turned to the side and talking very slowly-I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Me, hands waving wildly-We just listened to it, you know, come on help me out here!

Her-So we are talking about some sort of music?

Me-YES!

Her-Is it an album?

Me-YES! Your favorite and I want to listen to it. I can't remember the name, but you know what it is. Come on, think!

And so it went until she finally figured it out. So, I know what you mean. Some days words are just hard to come by and it is frustrating. I told my Dr. I was afraid I was getting Alzheimer's. He said if I knew that I was forgetting words, not to worry about it. When I didn't know that I was forgetting, then that was the time to worry. :)

I figure if the inflammation is everywhere it's probably in my brain, too. Those neurons can't fire right if they're suffering from the same inflammation that's in your knee at the mo. Hang in there, Sybil!!

Sybil, I was looking for the spatula this morning and started muttering under my breath wondering where the darn thing was. Both my daughters were in the kitchen with me trying hard not to laugh. I was holding the spatula in my left hand while searching for it with my right. I keep telling my family that the things that I do would make a great comedy show on TV.

I'm so happy I'm Not alone! I just said something to my doctor about brain fog and she thought maybe it was part of med pause. If that's true them I'm in trouble! Good thing I'm in this group so I know I'm not crazy.lol

sybil said:

Thank you. I'm actually panicking a bit. It's like an attack of senility, quite a sudden thing. I will try to get a grip especially because, as you say, panic or anxiety makes it worse. Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Louise Hoy said:

Sybil, I cant remember my Tai Chi routine either! I've not being doing it as long as you but it usually just flows, I'm better when I don't think about it.....as soon as I try to engage my brain I falter.
I'm definately better when I'm in very familiar company, think my brain panics otherwise.
Personally I believe its the disease not the drugs that causes the cognitive issues, but often the drugs can add to it I suppose

Oh yes, menopause. Let’s just blame brain fog on menopause. And while we are at it, the aches and the fatigue too. Oh, and the weight gain. Insomnia? Why that is menopause as well. What do you expect when you are over forty? You know, I’m sure that it takes middle aged women longer to get a diagnosis because it’s so easy to write everything off to menopause. And we believe it.

tmb said:

I’m so happy I’m Not alone! I just said something to my doctor about brain fog and she thought maybe it was part of med pause. If that’s true them I’m in trouble! Good thing I’m in this group so I know I’m not crazy.lol

sybil said:

Thank you. I’m actually panicking a bit. It’s like an attack of senility, quite a sudden thing. I will try to get a grip especially because, as you say, panic or anxiety makes it worse. Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Louise Hoy said:

Sybil, I cant remember my Tai Chi routine either! I’ve not being doing it as long as you but it usually just flows, I’m better when I don’t think about it…as soon as I try to engage my brain I falter.
I’m definately better when I’m in very familiar company, think my brain panics otherwise.

Thank you for this post! I love this group and it is so nice to know I am not alone! Some days I wonder if I should just pretend I can't speak! The words are in my head but what comes out my mouth is something from another planet! And concentration is certainly a problem some days. I think I would prefer consistency... If i'm going to be in a fog, okay... but how do I plan when I don't know what days I'll be intelligent and efficient! LOL! My brain apparently LOVES the Bahamas!!!

Thanks Seenie, I think that's why my PsA is not taken seriously sometimes.

Seenie said:

Oh yes, menopause. Let's just blame brain fog on menopause. And while we are at it, the aches and the fatigue too. Oh, and the weight gain. Insomnia? Why that is menopause as well. What do you expect when you are over forty? You know, I'm sure that it takes middle aged women longer to get a diagnosis because it's so easy to write everything off to menopause. And we believe it.

tmb said:

I'm so happy I'm Not alone! I just said something to my doctor about brain fog and she thought maybe it was part of med pause. If that's true them I'm in trouble! Good thing I'm in this group so I know I'm not crazy.lol

sybil said:

Thank you. I'm actually panicking a bit. It's like an attack of senility, quite a sudden thing. I will try to get a grip especially because, as you say, panic or anxiety makes it worse. Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Louise Hoy said:

Sybil, I cant remember my Tai Chi routine either! I've not being doing it as long as you but it usually just flows, I'm better when I don't think about it.....as soon as I try to engage my brain I falter.
I'm definately better when I'm in very familiar company, think my brain panics otherwise.

I am reasonably certain that I DO NOT have menopause. I have been accused of PMS a time or two. They blow me off too so its not that.

Speaking of things that go bump in the nights, I took a shot at a wolf last night just before dark, Not a wise move even though my shooting shoulder was not the new one. The brush with death may not keep him away, but my swearing episode following a badly pulled shot might.