Brain Fog: PsA or something else?

First, I am wondering how many of us suffer from the dreaded Brain Fog.?

I had it, others have mentioned it, and it leads me to believe that its pretty common. But, I then began to wonder if it is related to PsA or if it is really a symptom of fibromyalgia. My thinking is that quite a few folks with PsA also have fibro, diagnosed or otherwise. The brain fog seems to linger in those patients who aren't also being treated for fibromyalgia. Maybe there are more of us with fibro than we think because the main symptom that is experienced is not pain, it's that dreaded brain fog.

Here are my questions:

Do you have Brain Fog?

Do you have fibromyalgia?

Are you treated for fibromyalgia (Cymbalta, Savella, Gabapentin, Lyrica, etc)?

What level would you rate your symptoms on a 0-10 scale; 0 is "No Symptoms" and 10 is "Why am I here, and why am I holding a Koala"?

And any comments you may have.....

I think it will be interesting to hear what others have to say on this.

Yes to brain fog

No to fibro

No to fibro treatment

2 on a really good day to 6 on a really bad day (why am I carrying four bags over my shoulder? where am I going?)

Comments: My fog is typically far worse when I'm tired. Not regular tired but rather flare-induced inflamed and stiff tired. I think it is linked to inflammation. But that's just this gal's POV.

Wow Grumpy, you must be a mind reader!
This morning I got my copy of the last Rheumatology appointment letter. In it my Rheumatologist has suggested my latest flare, which seems to have included bowel issues, widespread tendon and muscle pain, may well be due to secondary fibromyalgia, although during my appointment as he said I don’t present with all the typical pain points I wrongly presumed he’d ruled fibro out.

A friend of mine who was diagnosed with Fibro a few years ago did suggest I may have that too as our brain fog is so similar, but I wasn’t convinced.

As yet I’m not receiving any treatment for fibro.

As far as brain fog goes I can’t remember when my score (on the why am I holding a koala? scale) was lower than 5, which is part of the reason why I’m a bit concerned about returning to work, although the pain and fatigue are still the main problem preventing going back to work presently.

I'm a YES to brain fog and NO to fibro/fibro medications.

Now I think about it there has definitely been some improvement in recent weeks/months but I can't say I noticed a sudden change when it started to get better, it might have been during the two months I've been on Simponi. At its worst I've done silly things like put butter away in the oven or I've been out/going out and suddenly forgotten why but most of the time it's just a constant woolly headed feeling, the odd word lapse and really annoyingly forgetting where I've put things. I'm not very good at scoring so don't know where to put it!

Yes to brain fog, Yes to Cymbalta but double yes to being a mom of three teenagers!

Yes to brain fog

Score 1-10, LOL... some days I wonder how/why I got out of bed, but most days not too bad. Sleep/exhaustion seems to play a big part in my fog.

No to fibro

However, many years ago, I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Didn't believe it and told the doctors that they were running to the newest "thing" diagnosis for lack of anything else. I am still careful with my energy but, after the initial three years of being essentially nonfunctional, have never experienced another episode of CFS like that again... so maybe something else ... That is about when my all over my body pain started as well. Have avoided the dreaded Fibro diagnosis but at this point, what's the difference. I hurt, I'm being treated... Thank you, Lord! I am going to discuss some of these things with the rheumy next visit, however. Love this group for info!!! And knowing I am not alone helps tremendously!

Addendum: I have almost no noun recall. Most things in my house are now called "the thing"

Lol I hear you there Jane, I have countless things, dooberies, thingamajigs, thingamabobs and many many doodahs :wink:

janeatiu said:

Addendum: I have almost no noun recall. Most things in my house are now called “the thing”

Yes to fog, no to fibro and fibro treatment.

The fog when it’s bad can get to a 6 or 7. I can forget how to use the equipment at work that I use every day. Luckily that only happens on very rare occasions and I work with people that know me from before this all started, so they are understanding and more than patient with me. I usually just forget what I’m doing or what I walked in a room for, that sort of stuff.

Oh, dear! My kids are often called “That one!” or “the middle one”, “the old one” and “the short one”!

janeatiu said:

Addendum: I have almost no noun recall. Most things in my house are now called “the thing”

Yes, to brain fog. No to the other two questions. I have quite a few things in my house, too. Although, I like dooberies. May I borrow that Louise? That is, if I can remember.

borrow away :slight_smile:

Tirezza said:

Yes, to brain fog. No to the other two questions. I have quite a few things in my house, too. Although, I like dooberies. May I borrow that Louise? That is, if I can remember.

Yes to brain fog

Yes to fibromyalgia

Tried cymbalta and it did nothing. Currently taking savella and it works well for the fibro pain- in fact taking it was what convinced me that I had it because suddenly I was better.

My brain fog is so embarrasing sometimes. I am thinking seriously about carrying a cheat sheet with some of my co-workers names on it. The day after my last remicaide infusion I had a conversation with my boss and I am sure that I sounded like an idiot-in fact I asked her later and she laughed and said that she assumed that I was tired.

Be careful where you use that dooberries thing.... In some parts of the country that refers to "leftovers" from poor hygiene. I grew up being called John who would have been my mothers brother, and my sisters were both called Virginia. Neither' s name was Virginia. That was my aunt. I though it was quite funny. Unfortunately every one of my sons and every foster boy has been John, and the girls you guessed it Virginia. Its not all PsA my wife doesn't even know my name let alone the kids names. However I can't even get a whosiewhat out most of the time. Its usually, "If I knew what the hell it was (or who it was) I'd say so!!!!!

Louise Hoy said:

borrow away :)
Tirezza said:

Lol lamb! We call those “Klingons”

LOL... Thank you all for the replies. Made me giggle. My poor husband gets so bewildered when I point and flap my arms wildly trying to get my point across... I assume (poor choice of words, LOL) that after 41 years he knows what I am thinking... poor guy! Yes, word finding difficulties can be embarrassing when I am talking to someone who doesn't know me well and can't find the right words. Lucky for me, three guys in our family are named Jeff and three friends named Don so I get names right occasionally. (My grandkids think I'm losing it thought... LOL!)

Yes to the brain fog, no to the others- fog tends to be present with fatigue and increases with intensity of flare. My day after MTX (Tuesdays) is always the worst brain-wise.

Thanks for the dooberries definition. I never would have guessed! :)

They are called "dingleberries" here in Vt.

Yes to brain fog.

No to Fibro though my Rheumy has said I have some fibro like symptoms.

No to fibro meds. I did try Gabapentin but all it did was make me tired.

My brain fog is comes and goes with my flare in PsA symptoms. If I awaken with well greased joints my mind will be as clear as a bell. When I am between bios I am hopeless. I can't even remember my own name or whats his face......

Lots of thingys and whatsits in this household! Klingons too with a long haired cat ..... yes, TMI.