Advice needed

I was the one who posted about the football in cold. Now I just got phone call from my mother, whom I am suppose to be visiting this weekend, to tell me that she has a dry hacking cough which she says is due to acid reflux or her sjorgen symdrome What should do? Is this considered a cold? I am so scared of catching something that forces me to get off Enbrel that I want to curl up and never go out.

Took the pnuemonia shot before I was given Enbrel not sure if can have the flu now that I am on Enbrel. I go to the doctor on the 11th and I have a lot of questions now.

you can have a flu shot, you just can’t receive the live virus which is the nose spray. Worst thing you can do is hide in fear from getting sick. You don’t catch everything you com in contact with. Just make sure there are lots of hand washing and plenty of antibacterial gel that is mostly alcohol.

The way I look at it is this - I'm taking a biologic drug to have a better quality of life, and I won't have a better quality of life holing myself up in my house and not interacting with anyone. Odds are, the person you're going to catch an illness from will pass it on to you before they even know they have it. People can be hibernating and spreading illness before they have symptoms. You're more apt to get sick going grocery shopping or to the library (or to the doctor!!!) than causal contact with friends and family.

If someone I care about assures me their cough is due to allergies / something non-catchy, then I have no problem visiting. I babysit people's kids and have five of my own. I don't avoid them when they're under the weather, I just take extra good care of myself while I'm caring for them.

What Nym said.

Okay then, I haven't PO'd anybody seriously since the Public Health Lady, so guess its time again. We are here to help and support each other and there is no limit how many times one asks and receives Okay?

But Rebel you need to get a grip...... All your concerns are valid, and questions good But within your medical group there should be someone experienced in helping folks come to grips and deal with not only the disease itself but treatment as well. (or ask for a referral) You appear (from here) to be moving from one crisis to another putting out fires that really aren't there. It takes time I know to learn whats fire, whats smoke and whats not. But each "incident" ADDS to your disease. The NUMBER ONE ANTAGONIST of PsA is STRESS. We have enough normally (until you get old like me and simply don't give a s*** anymore about a lot of stuff) that we don't need to CREATE it unnecessarily.

Cold Cereal is a fine nutritious Dinner (it covers most of the food groups, slice a Banana on it an its almost as good for you as frozen Pizza,) and unless you trip over clutter an breaks something it doesn't matter if its there. I guess what I'm saying is there are NO rules....... (and no one to enforce them if there were.)

For gosh sakes go visit your mother. Hold your breath when you hug her and wash your hand before you touch your face, eat before you get there, and hold un till you go home to eat again (if you are really worried) There will be a time whne You would give ANYTHING to spend some time with mom and no way you can. They aren't around for ever.

No you don't need to stop Enbrel (or any other) bio if you get a cold. Now lets be realistic You take enbrel once a week Humira every two weeks etc etc. as you go through the drugs. A cold last a week.(only few days in reality) The worst if you do have to stop? your dose would be a few days late. In my growing elderyliness (cool word) if I ignore my google calandar reminders because I've mislaid my phone again, I've been that late anyway. and I'm still in control (mostly) of PsA .

If you are worried about transmission of cold viruses get a flask fill it with Pendleton (save the single malt for home)and take a hit ever so often alcohol kills germs..... and along side it put a bottle of instant hand sanitizer (don't confuse the two.) Now the hits won't stop germs, but folks will assume you are a crazy alcoholic and will avoid you, so the germs won't get to you.

s

Ok but the crazy alcoholic was funny :slight_smile:

Apparently reading isn't one of your long suits is it? If she doesn't get a grip on here fears her disease will worsen. Its that simple. Maybe an internet forum is enough, maybe its it not but NO ONE can progress against this disease with out the tools and information to deal with ALL the aspects including the mental side of it.

Stress which comes from fear (real an not so real) make this disease far worse than it need be.

Just as we are NOT physicians, neither are we counselors and psychologists. Fear of a chronic disease is natural and normal, as is fear of the future and unknown. I make no apologies about being blunt. Dealing with a debilitating disease is NOT for the faint of heart.

I wouldn't make assumptions about my life or where I am (or have been) with this disease either.

And the rebel mom is the only one who has felt helpless, out of control, and/or overwehelmed by this disease at times? Most of us have and most of us have found a way to overcome it. A few become victims and sit at home wallowing in self pity.

Rebel Mom isn't one of them and has been here a bit longer than you and is clearly a fighter. She worked hard to make the decision to use the biologics, there is NO reason for her to doubt herself OR the control she can have of her disease. Any doubts/insecurity she has at this point will be temporary at best. She has shown NOTHING but resolve and determintaion to move forward no matter what.

Of course maybe you haven't read her other posts.

Too bad we can't get ol' Howard back, instead of these washed up former - player - talking - heads.....

Hi Rebel mom,

Sounds like your Mom is having her own battles with autoimmune, if she has Sjogren's! It will surely make you have a dry cough and disturb your digestion.

The nurse at Enbrel told me that as long as you do not have a fever, you are good to go on the shot. Maybe just ask Mom if she has been running a temp, and if not, go see her, the visit may be just what you both need! Bundle up and watch a movie together, or just sit and talk!

I don't seem to get everything coming down the road like I used to, not sure if it is the autoimmune which has the immune system in overdrive or the Enbrel that slows it down, but I am less likely to get anything like a cold or flu. Had the 10 year old grandson here with the flu this weekend, it didn't touch me.

Hope this helps, hope you are able to go see your Mom!

Hugs,

SK

Now now, play nice! I’ve already had to pull apart 2 people today, one who is a 24 year old young lady ( I use the term advisdly) and a 67 year old bi lateral amputee man. Both patients of mine…the language of both was horrendous! Maybe this is not the place for this conversation…we all deal with things differently and have different views and sometimes have to agree to disagree

And if you both want to tell me to butt out… that’s ok I’m on a different continent, x

I'm trying to visualize that... HOW does a bilateral amputee get into it with a 24 year old girl? I'm assuming it was verbal, right???? What continent are you BTW?

Lol yes it was verbal…but nearly became physical and it was the girl who started it…became paranoid the guy was staring at her bottom…(.well it did have ‘spank me!’ Embroidered on it) but the thing is the guy was staring but he’s nearly blind. He was having a conversation with another patient next to him and happened to say ‘blood hell that’s all we need’ she though he was talking about her! She started shouting at him…he retaliated she called him a four letter word beginning with C and threateded to ‘punch his lights out’ had to stop myself laughing when he said ’ you and who’s army?’ Anyway tears from her, ranting from him…all in a days work in a pleasant peaceful Engilsh hospital :wink:

You gotta stop this TNT- hurts when I laugh reading your posts! LOL Yet again, you have hit the nail on the head!

tntlamb said:

What Nym said.

Okay then, I haven't PO'd anybody seriously since the Public Health Lady, so guess its time again. We are here to help and support each other and there is no limit how many times one asks and receives Okay?

But Rebel you need to get a grip...... All your concerns are valid, and questions good But within your medical group there should be someone experienced in helping folks come to grips and deal with not only the disease itself but treatment as well. (or ask for a referral) You appear (from here) to be moving from one crisis to another putting out fires that really aren't there. It takes time I know to learn whats fire, whats smoke and whats not. But each "incident" ADDS to your disease. The NUMBER ONE ANTAGONIST of PsA is STRESS. We have enough normally (until you get old like me and simply don't give a s*** anymore about a lot of stuff) that we don't need to CREATE it unnecessarily.

Cold Cereal is a fine nutritious Dinner (it covers most of the food groups, slice a Banana on it an its almost as good for you as frozen Pizza,) and unless you trip over clutter an breaks something it doesn't matter if its there. I guess what I'm saying is there are NO rules....... (and no one to enforce them if there were.)

For gosh sakes go visit your mother. Hold your breath when you hug her and wash your hand before you touch your face, eat before you get there, and hold un till you go home to eat again (if you are really worried) There will be a time whne You would give ANYTHING to spend some time with mom and no way you can. They aren't around for ever.

No you don't need to stop Enbrel (or any other) bio if you get a cold. Now lets be realistic You take enbrel once a week Humira every two weeks etc etc. as you go through the drugs. A cold last a week.(only few days in reality) The worst if you do have to stop? your dose would be a few days late. In my growing elderyliness (cool word) if I ignore my google calandar reminders because I've mislaid my phone again, I've been that late anyway. and I'm still in control (mostly) of PsA .

If you are worried about transmission of cold viruses get a flask fill it with Pendleton (save the single malt for home)and take a hit ever so often alcohol kills germs..... and along side it put a bottle of instant hand sanitizer (don't confuse the two.) Now the hits won't stop germs, but folks will assume you are a crazy alcoholic and will avoid you, so the germs won't get to you.

s

Apparently there are those who don't get my sense of humor - sorry.

I don't understand the problem Lousise, I thought spanking clubs were common in England. He prolly forgot where he was......

You know! I’ve looked every where and I can’t find them! :wink: reckon they’re an urban myth…but some of the villages, Well they’re a different matter!

I don't agree with what the Enbrel nurse saying ok for the injection, as long as no fever. I often don't get one with a cold.

What i would look for, was nasal discharge, or cough sputum, that has the wrong color..No humor in this, sorry, but if it's yellow-greenish cough-up, it's time to see my PCP.

When i got my pnuemonia ( Humira/mtx) it started as a bad sinus infection..If you feel like a cold is coming on, just delay the shot for a few days. I forgot my Mtx Tuesday, so now it will be Wednesdays for that...But if you feel really sick, potential virus, ill with a cold/flu, besides delaying the Mtx/biologics, wouldn't hurt to see your PCP. Or now they have these walk in clinics at the pharmacies ( if no long wait..LOL)

We can try our best to avoid germs. Might freak out someone coughing and sneezing behind us, at the checkout line at Walmart....but it could be allergies ppl have this time of the year.

I heard the worst germs are on the menu in the restaurant..LOL ...In the ladies rooms in public places, i like when they have a swing door. i can use my shoulder, hip to close the door, but sometimes take a paper towel from drying hands to open the door.

Nothing wrong with being a little cautious. Hope you had a nice visit with your mom, a nice cup of tea with her....honey helps..in more ways than none!

Oh lamb, that sweet sardonic humor of yours is like ambrosia! I'll have another cup, please!

Can this end now? There’s about as much drama going here, as there is in an all girls high school. Both of you made great points now it’s time to move on.

I think we all need to remember that for the most part we KNOW each other here. I personally love lamb's droll, sardonic sense of humor that ALWAYS has truth embedded in it. I am sure Rebel Mom and Lamb have had enough conversations to understand each other. I have found with PsA I have enough trouble figuring out what the hell I am doing to censor other people's behavior much any more. There are people I WANT to spend time with (that would be you all!) and other's I do not spend much time with (and shall remain nameless!)

Louise I am still laughing over your patients. I have been a nurse for 38 years and thought I had seen it all......too funny!

I am sending hugs and prayers to all of us, we deserve them:-)