Yoga

New to the group. I am curioius. Does anyone do yoga to help stretch and remain limber? I was doing yoga until my wrist flared up and I can no longer put weight on my left wrist. No more downward dog for me. But child's pose and hip flexing and pigeon really help with loosening tight hips and backs.

Yep, that would be me! :) Just like you, I used to do yoga very intensely (1-1.30 hours every day) before my big SI flare which eventually lead to my diagnosis. After that first big flare, I kinda stopped doing yoga at all. I would do it maybe once a month, and mostly because my mom would drag me to a yoga class or surprise, surprise, I would feel well enough to do it. And having an inflamed SI wasn't making it any easier either - just like your wrist. I had said goodbye to crossing my legs and balance positions, and what is yoga when you can't cross your legs or find your balance on one leg :P

Then, lately I realized that the more exercise I do the less pain I'm in. First I was crying as I was doing my exercise because I felt tired constantly and was in pain... But I pushed through the exhaustion and pain and gradually began feeling much, much better! I'm even thinking about taking my meds every two days instead of everyday and see if I still feel OK (currently I'm only using NSAIDs so I can play around with my medicine). So I say do your yoga. If you can't do the downward dog, then don't. I know it's a big part of most types of yoga, vinyasa especially, but there are other types of yoga that doesn't lean so heavily on downward dog. I'm sure if you look around a little you can find a style that corresponds to your needs and capabilities. Always listen to your body - and of course that goes without saying to someone who is familiar with yoga, but you should be extra careful not to hurt yourself any further - , and do what you can, and everyday if possible! Exercise has been better for me than any pain medicine!

thank you, that sounds promising. Our local yoga place I used to go to has a restorative yoga class on the weekend and I think I can tailor that to my situation. I know I felt more limber and flexible when I went. I may just take a bunch of pain killers and head there on Sunday and see how it goes. If it goes well I may start with once a week and build up slowly.

You may also want to have a look at this chair yoga discussion.

This just happened to me. Tried a new yoga you tube video and got a huge flare in my right hand, all the joints. It's awful. I also enjoy downward dog but I can't put any weight on my wrists. I would love to attend a yoga studio but cost and embarrassment keep me away. Good luck!!

Hello! Yes I have done a little Yoga. It is hard for me to do some of the poses. No getting down on the mat for me. I will have to try the child pose and the pigeon, I do have a lot of pain in my R hip and back

Yep, you should be REALLY careful, for I got carried away when I felt better and I dared to do some poses that was supposed to make my buttocks stronger (and I thought I should make that area stronger since I have chronic SI inflammation) - big mistake. I've been crying with pain for the last three days. Like amilelynn I think I induced a flare myself! Or, maybe my immune system just decided I had it too good for two weeks since I also have low grade fever and all the other flare up symptoms. I don't know :) Well, for what it's worth at least that was a learning experience - buttock and leg moves, a big no. Core strengthening moves - a big YES!

PS - I've been doing the videos in the website Jules mentioned by the way. I started out with restorative yoga and ended up in yoga-pilates fusion! It's a great website, you should take a look at it.

LL, I'm pleased to hear that a yoga aficionado as you are has found the site helpful. I've been to hydrotherapy this afternoon and can feel in my lower back/SI and buttocks so tomorrow gentle yoga will be the order of the day to stretch it all out.

Yes, the site has been tremendously helpful Jules! The best part is that I can choose my workout according to my mood, my pain/stiffness levels and even how much time I have got! But I think tonight the most gentle exercise I can find will be the best. Maybe even some gentle stretching in bed, not even from a workout video! My buttock pain is better, but my lower back is about to lock up and that is just the worst! Makes me go to the ER and I really don't want that :D

Love that site Jules! I'll check it out for next time. Hand is still inflamed. Extra pain meds these days. Once the falre has passed, I'll start up again. I tried doing the yoga i was sued to before PsA. BAD IDEA!!!

Glad to hear you are feeling better Lady, even if it's just a bit!

Amielynn, I haven't even been able to attempt the yoga I did before :D But it's weird really, how I can feel strong and able one day and completely weak the other (I mean I can't even lift my foot kind of weak, like I have no muscles at all - I'm sure you guys know the feeling). And it's also weird how some days what I think/feel like I can do and what my body is capable of that day are completely far-out. Well, today it wasn't the case, I knew all I could do was lie on the hard floor and roll around pretending I was doing something and that's exactly what I did! :D A toddler might have been using more muscle than me!!! :D

And I hope you feel better soon Amielynn... If back trouble is this limiting, I can't even imagine what it must be like to have an inflamed hand!

Aw, thanks Lady. It's ok. I stay at home with a 4 year old, so I have no choice but to push through it. In some ways, that helps me. I can't sit around and heal. I guess I heal on the go! It's better today.

There are some days that I lay on the mat and just watch the yoga video! That counts for something, huh?

Well of course it does! You first have to conquer your opponent with your mind :P Like basketball players imagining their perfect shots at the hoop before they even touch the ball :P

amielynn38 said:

There are some days that I lay on the mat and just watch the yoga video! That counts for something, huh?

ladylazarus said:

Yep, you should be REALLY careful, for I got carried away when I felt better and I dared to do some poses that was supposed to make my buttocks stronger (and I thought I should make that area stronger since I have chronic SI inflammation) - big mistake. I've been crying with pain for the last three days. Like amilelynn I think I induced a flare myself! Or, maybe my immune system just decided I had it too good for two weeks since I also have low grade fever and all the other flare up symptoms. I don't know :) Well, for what it's worth at least that was a learning experience - buttock and leg moves, a big no. Core strengthening moves - a big YES!

PS - I've been doing the videos in the website Jules mentioned by the way. I started out with restorative yoga and ended up in yoga-pilates fusion! It's a great website, you should take a look at it.

Browneyes said: O my goodness! Yes I will watch out. I will try out the web site Jules mentioned. Thanks!

ladylazarus said:

Good for you :) And don't worry - yes I was reckless and caused myself pain but also that pain is gone now and today I was able to do my core workout again... There are good days and bad days - don't let the bad ones steer you away from exercise. Believe me, what you are able to do is the best thing you can do for yourself!!!

Browneyes said:

Browneyes said: O my goodness! Yes I will watch out. I will try out the web site Jules mentioned. Thanks!

PS - now I looked at the discussion again and saw that you were having trouble with your back and right hip. For me it's both SIs but left SI pretty much constantly, and lower back problems. I also fear that it has spread to my left hip but that might just be the SI pain projecting. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is we have similar problems and core strengthening exercises have been tremendously helpful for me!!! And you do most of them on your back so you don't have to put your weight on your hip. You should try and strengthen your abdomen and your back muscles.

Browneyes said:

With only minor inflammation, I still think yoga is equal first with weight machines as a great exercise. I had an instructor who suggested I use a towel as extra padding, and use a fist for my downward dog (and interestingly my weights pt suggested that too for push ups) - it works really well if that day you have weak wrists but your fingers and knuckles are bearable (which is usual for me - I kind of radiate pain from inside out!)

It won’t workforce everyone, but I’ve found it a very useful modification.