Yoga recommendations

I did yoga for about a decade when I was doing better. In the past 8-9 years I haven't been able to do more than individual poses when needed for a specific area. So I don't really know what is out there for gentle yoga.

Does anyone do a good VERY gentle yoga program, on DVD or Youtube? I'm looking for something about 20-30 minutes that I can follow along on TV / computer, something that moves slowly and is PsA friendly. For example, even with modifications, downward dog is out for me (too much pressure on hands / elbows). I know how to modify just about everything, but it would be nice if I had a program to follow.

My rheumatologist recommended Tai chi. My husband did the leg work for me and found an instructor. The movements are very flowing and gentle. Our warm up exercises take about 15 minutes, every joint is gently moved. A few weeks ago, Sifu, at the last minute, could not make it to class. A Yoga instructor offered to stand in for her. With very wary caution, I decided wrongly to stay for the class. :) Even though she did gentle yoga, it was not gentle enough. She did do something called Chi gong/Qigong. I don't know if I spelled that properly, that was very gentle and helped my back tremendously. So, Tai chi and chi gong are the two that works for me. I wish you the best and hope you find something that works for you.

Tai Chi looks so hard to learn, and I am so massively uncoordinated! But, I should give it a shot. I'm sure there are some videos on Youtube.

Tirezza said:

My rheumatologist recommended Tai chi. My husband did the leg work for me and found an instructor. The movements are very flowing and gentle. Our warm up exercises take about 15 minutes, every joint is gently moved. A few weeks ago, Sifu, at the last minute, could not make it to class. A Yoga instructor offered to stand in for her. With very wary caution, I decided wrongly to stay for the class. :) Even though she did gentle yoga, it was not gentle enough. She did do something called Chi gong/Qigong. I don't know if I spelled that properly, that was very gentle and helped my back tremendously. So, Tai chi and chi gong are the two that works for me. I wish you the best and hope you find something that works for you.

Marietta said:

Tai Chi looks so hard to learn, and I am so massively uncoordinated! But, I should give it a shot. I'm sure there are some videos on Youtube.

Tirezza said:Our instructor also starts off each lesson with balance exercises. Those exercises have been really helpful for me as well.

We have a local gym here that had all sorts of classes for people with Arthritis. My favorite was the Water Aerobics. It was a light class that didn't work too hard just got you moving around and you felt no pain under the warm water. - you have to sign up for the one registered with the national arthritis society or something like that... I know they have to be certified!

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyZ18mODV8

Another class was Tai Chi. They actually go very slow and I was able to learn the steps pretty well. Everyone in the class was really nice to me.

I think the worst thing that has been said to me is that I am too young to have arthritis but, oh well they are not a doctor and I used that moment to teach them that anyone can get it.

I also do yoga in a program pool. I find in the afternoons it is mostly empty. After years of yoga I too was missing it. I start with gentle stretches and walking in the warm water. I then move into poses. I have not found a class for yoga in the water but sometimes I join the arthritis class in the mornings but find it a bit too fast for me. I can do it but I hurt the next day. I keep more of a ballet going with my yoga whereas the arthritis class is more cha-cha moving but it is nice to have some company and see my friends!

oh wow we never had fast moving music.. we just moved really slow and did about 5 reps per exercise on each side of the body.. the instructor too always told us to go at our own pace :)

michael in vermont said:

I also do yoga in a program pool. I find in the afternoons it is mostly empty. After years of yoga I too was missing it. I start with gentle stretches and walking in the warm water. I then move into poses. I have not found a class for yoga in the water but sometimes I join the arthritis class in the mornings but find it a bit too fast for me. I can do it but I hurt the next day. I keep more of a ballet going with my yoga whereas the arthritis class is more cha-cha moving but it is nice to have some company and see my friends!

The arthritis class in the pool is not doing yoga but exercises that sometimes are aerobic. I realized my description was lacking. I need something slower so I do yoga in the pool. Hope that is clearer<3

Peggy Cappy has a good series of DVDs which are focused on people with arthritis. She has had several PBS specials demonstrating her easy yoga. I highly recommend checking into her dvds. They are very good and prices are very reasonable. Good luck! Let me know what you think if you try it out.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! THANK YOU!

breckstar said:

Peggy Cappy has a good series of DVDs which are focused on people with arthritis. She has had several PBS specials demonstrating her easy yoga. I highly recommend checking into her dvds. They are very good and prices are very reasonable. Good luck! Let me know what you think if you try it out.

I teach Yin Yoga, the only thing that helps my SI Joint pain. There are some good Yin classes posted on You Tube.