PsA Friendly Yoga and Weight Training

Hello everyone!

How is everyone doing these days? Things are going well here. Still feeling better then christmas time. Also had another 6 month check up and things went well. I am miles from where I started and I can't thank you all enough for the support you have given me. If I didn't have this site, I think I would still be depressed. I was in a painful, dark place and you all helped motivate me. Thank you!!!

On another note, my rheumy said my patella and various ligaments/ tendons have shifted. Thus causing most of my current leg pain. I have started some gentle yoga stretched and simple weight training. I know there was a post last year about the chair yoga, and I have that saved, but I am looking for a yoga mat session on DVD. I would like to switch between the chair one and the mat. I have googled and honestly I would like a recommendation from someone in the same boat.

I'm also have back trouble. Plus the muscles from shoulder to neck are constantly tender and painful. I'm trying to do what I can with some light exercise before thinking about more serious treatments. (more medications or surgery)

Overall there is daily pain and I'm not sleeping well, but I am happy. Oh, and I planted some new roses!

Hey amielynn! How wonderful to hear you sounding so cheery!

Do you have chondromalacia? I was diagnosed with that yonks ago when I was a relative youngster & sent off to a physio class with 80 year olds. Which obviously was great for my self image. That can be where the tendons do not move in the right way over the knee or are not in the right place or something & it leads to a bit of cartilage loss. Or whatever, it's hazy! Anyway, I got the message way back then that running was not great for me because I'm too knock-kneed. In fact I did run a bit, but gently. If you do have that particular problem then it's important to keep the knee moving in a straightforward hinge motion .... so no twisting as in the way the legs move when swimming breaststroke or playing football. Same principle probably applies when doing yoga .... I'd be careful about any positions that twist the knee joints.

I sometimes think that PsA goes for the weakest link, which for me was always knees. And walking has helped so much, I can't recommend it enough.

Hope the roses grow beautifully!

Hello Sybil!

(On a side note, I wish I would get an email when people posted new discussions or posted to my threads. I used to but not any more. )

I am sure there is something going on with my knees and I think the weight training is the first step in finding out what it is. I will google chondromalacia, never heard of it before. I also can't run. Yes, my knees hit each other. I also get bad shin splints. So, I walk quickly. Thanks about the twist positions, that may be what put me out of yoga commission last time. I really hurt my wrist and knee. I've been scared to start up again.

I also love walking in the pool. There is a bit of resistance from the water and makes for a good workout. But it's still gentle.

They are growing very well. Thanks!

Hi amielynn!

If you go to 'my settings' then 'email', down the bottom there's a box to tick for notification when you get a response.

Glad the roses are doing what they oughta.

It sounds like you have a similar thing to me but of course it's just speculation on my part. I think how chondromalacia patellae was explained to me, the tendons that attach the patella to the rest of the knee run in grooves ..... but sometimes they don't. And in that case the knee cap is prone to osteoathritis-type changes. But of course it's more complex than that, isn't it always?

I still don't do the breastroke, front crawl only. If I had my time again I'd play football regardless, none too keen on watching it but used to love a kick around. Anyway, I guess that's out of the question for both of us these days but if you are up to playing ball with your little 'un it might be as well to avoid fancy legwork!

I hope you can get some more ideas about mat yoga.

Thanks Sybil. I look at the email setting.

It's always more complex. I googled chondromalacia and everything I read does apply to me. BUT I never played sports or did a lot of running. Lots and lots of walking. So, I'll bring it up at the next doc appointment. Seems what I am currently doing is the recommended treatment. So At least I am off to a good start. No, no fancy foot work here...

I should have said, but couldn't back it up ..... I think as well as causing osteoarthritis it can be caused by some forms of arthritis. I don't know whether I was quite active enough to fit in the sports-related category either. I'd be very interested to hear what your doc says.

amielynn38 said:

Thanks Sybil. I look at the email setting.

It's always more complex. I googled chondromalacia and everything I read does apply to me. BUT I never played sports or did a lot of running. Lots and lots of walking. So, I'll bring it up at the next doc appointment. Seems what I am currently doing is the recommended treatment. So At least I am off to a good start. No, no fancy foot work here...

amielynn, let me get back to you tomorrow when I'm less tired (brain about to give up!) as I've been doing exercises for my kneecaps/knees for ages and can write you with what to do. It's easy peasy. Be in touch tomorrow.

This is a gentle but effective strengthening exercise for the muscles at the front of the thigh/knee which maintain the correct tracking of the patella.

Lying down on your back with a large rolled towel, bolster cushion or large yoga roll supporting the lower thigh (not right behind the knee) of one leg, use the roll almost as a fulcrum, straighten your leg from the knee with your foot at 90 degrees (ie. toes upwards towards your body not pointing away) and gently lift. You only need to make a very small movement for this to exercise the correct muscles so don't lift the leg so far that the hip is taking the strain (trust me this causes more problems than it fixes). Repeat. Start with maybe five repetitions and gradually increase.

Or you can do it sitting on a tall stool or edge of a table, straighten one leg (heel down toes up) and gently take the lift through the knee/front of the thigh.

I was way too gung-ho to start with and caused myself trouble in my hips. But a lift of maybe an inch/two cm is plenty. If you put the flat of your hand on you thigh just above the knee you can feel when the muscle engages. It's the repetitions that do the work not how far you move the leg. It has helped to strengthen my knees quite alot. I save the more vigorous swinging exercises for when I'm in the pool.

In my kitchen I have two stools at the breakfast bar that are perfect so I try to do 25 reps each leg every time I sit on the stool. Helps that this is where I have my 'tablet' so I can sit here typing and leg lifting at the same time.

Thanks Jules! I'll try this. Seems easy enough. I've started some minimal training and I can already feel a difference. It's very slight but I'll take that!!

(p.s. I found out why I wasn't getting my PSA forum emails.... spam folder. All fixed now. )