Wintertime blues

Anybody else dreading the approach of winter? It's hard enough having P or PsA any time of year, but winter can make things almost unbearable.

My scalp psoriasis gets worse because of the dry air, and the plaque psoriasis on my limbs and torso gets worse due to the friction from having to wear multiple layers of clothing (even though I moisturize constantly).

I also have pretty bad Raynaud's phenomenon, which means I need to wear gloves anytime the temperature drops below about 65 degrees F. (And even with the gloves, my fingers still turn white.) Now that I have PsA, however, the pressure from the gloves can trigger joint pain in my hands. So I can't win.

Also, in the winter I tend to take longer, hotter showers, because it helps relax my muscles and ease pain in my back, shoulders and neck. Unfortunately, hot water can inflame sensitive skin.

I know this sounds like a lot of whining, but I'm sure some of you experience the same issues. How do you endure the cold-weather season?

Its winter here had the first snow fall last week. Yeah I hate it.

I know they are ugly, but try mittens. No pressure........ They make the "shooters mitts that the top opens up quickly for "fine" work.

I drink! Just kidding...

Really, I love winter so much, winter holidays, decorations, foods, the stark landscape that signals a sleeping world. I also really love the break from sweating to death. So even though I endure some of the same things you do, I think I mitigate it by focusing on the things I love about winter. I tend to throw myself into holiday prep, keep busy, involve my family, make memories, in hopes that I can pretend I don't hurt, pretend I'm not tired. Plus I sing a lot, which helps me relax and keep me calm and centered. I know all this sounds more homeopathic than practical, and it really is.

I use a product from Pure Romance called Body Dew, which is an oil spray, after I take a hot shower, keeps my skin moisturized all day. You could also try a bath with essential oil instead of a long shower. Try to keep either a humidifyer going, or else put a pan on the stove and simmer orange peel, water and cinnamon all day (smells great, boosts your mood, and adds water to the air). Try a layer of close-fitting clothing, almost like spandex, as your first layer, then it shouldn't move around on you too much.

I know it's hard; we're all with you. But I honestly believe that immersing yourself in calming, pleasureable activities will do tons for your health. Just don't overdo it!

Let us know what you try, what works, how you feel, etc.

I hate to say it but I seem to be more comfortable in the cold weather. I do not tolerate heat and humidity at all any more. I finally had to buy an ac unit to survive it. I have a soap stone wood stove in the living room so I am lovely toasty in the winter. I also swim at a club not too far from my house more often in the cold weather so I can sit in their hot tub. I do wear gloves in the house that do not have fingers. i bought them in some really flashy colors so i enjoy them.

Emily, the close-fitting clothing is a big part of the problem. I'm fairly thin and don't have a lot of body fat, so during the winter I wear thermal underwear most of the time (usually just the tops, but on a really cold day I'll wear the bottoms as well). All thermal garments are made of synthetic fabric. That's what makes them insulate so well. However, my skin is so sensitive that if I wear anything other than cotton as my base layer, I break out in a rash. I wish I could wear nothing but cotton year-round, but it does not keep you warm.

It's a real dilemma. All I can do is just moisturize as much as possible before I put my clothes on. I also use a Lanacane anti-friction gel on my plaques, and that seems to help somewhat.

thermal underwear is designed to not be that close-fitting, to allow your own body heat to fill up the space and thus keep you warmer. Which means it can rub around on you. I'm sensing a need going unfilled in the clothing industry...

Back in the day, I had thermals that were cotton, wouldn't such a creature still exist? Somewhere in internet-land?

I have a love-hate relationship with Winter.

The extreme cold is tough on my joints, the dry air bad for my skin, the kids want to be outside all day when it snows, and I get Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which makes not only my depression, but also my anxiety worse.

I LOVE the Winter holidays, the snuggle time with my kids, wearing my comfy hand warmers, and don't mind layers of clothing. I wear skirts year round, and have found that leggings are light enough not to bother me under skirts, and I layer leg warmers on top of those, along with my beloved wool socks. I wear hand warmers (most of the way up my fingers to most of the way to my elbows) almost constantly, and they keep my hands and wrists warm without much bother.

For me, concentrating on the good things is essential for making it through the window with my sanity and my health at least semi-intact. On days when I'm feeling too ill to function, we have a movie day. We cuddle in my bed (which happens to be in the living room!) and watch movies that make us happy. Or we have "spa day" with eo foot baths, hot packs on achy joints, and other things that help us feel pampered, like "fizzy drinks" (oj or other juice w/ seltzer :) ).

I find Hoteeze heat pads invaluable for everything from keeping parts of my body warm when I'm out and about, to keeping my hands warm on particularly gnarly days.

Carhartt still makes it. Its available in most farm and ranch stores they also make "thermal cotton gloves and glove liners. Suprising as it may be these old cowboys have very sensitve skin. Between grain dust and all the solvents those rough old hands are really just skin waiting to fall off.....

Emily said:

thermal underwear is designed to not be that close-fitting, to allow your own body heat to fill up the space and thus keep you warmer. Which means it can rub around on you. I'm sensing a need going unfilled in the clothing industry...

Back in the day, I had thermals that were cotton, wouldn't such a creature still exist? Somewhere in internet-land?

I love the autumn and winter but my skin and joints dont! I have tried all kinds of Rx creams and stuff and I finally found one that works. My dermatologist prescribed clobex. Its a spray and it works wonders. It works for me at least it keeps it under control thru the cold months. I remember having it so bad that my skin would literally just tare open when i would bend my elbow and would start bleeding. Clobex will keep my skin from worsening and keeping the flares down this cold season.

The Carhartt thermals that tntlamb is talking about are amazing. Those old cowboys have some amazing at home remedies for dry skin and even cancer! I’ve been amazed with the stories I’ve heard since I married into a ranching family.

Pure silk thermals are my saving grace. They are natural fiber, thin, and can be as loose or tight as you want. They last a long time if cared for too. I get SAD as well, and it took me many years to put the depression and time of year together. Back then i lived in sunny California, now I am in north Idaho. i think knowing it may come is better than having it blindside you when it comes. i have happy lights that do help with the depression. As our weather cools, I can feel a huge difference in my pain levels and the amount of painful locations. Heating pads, rice packs heated in the microwave, heated leather seats in the car all help tremendously. Warm baths are great for so many ills. Hang in there everyone, we are in this together!

Yes itis getting colder here in the south. I have already pulled out my stuff,mainly for the football game, but also to wear around the house. Really dread the really cold temps and thanks for all the suggestions!

found a store near my house that sells Carthall line of clothes ands tuff and itis only 10 minutes from my house. I am going to go and check it out.

tntlamb said:

Carhartt still makes it. Its available in most farm and ranch stores they also make "thermal cotton gloves and glove liners. Suprising as it may be these old cowboys have very sensitve skin. Between grain dust and all the solvents those rough old hands are really just skin waiting to fall off.....

Emily said: