Cold weather

I have always used ice packs for releif from inflammation and neuropathy (works like a charm more often than not). For the last two winters I have not reacted to cold weather as I do this year and it’s got me thinking. Why does arthritis react so painfully to it? why if ice packs help does frigid weather hurt? Can anyone explain this?

Nope. Not me. I can’t explain it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

LOL Crazy disease that we have!

Maybe it’s the barometric pressure…yes, that’s it!!! Seriously, though, I noticed as I get older I find it much harder to tolerate the cold dry air–especially inside–I bought myself a fuzzy, warm housecoat to wear over my clothes/pj’s!!!

So far the majority of it effects my feet to no end. I have to wear socks and slippers around the house, socks to bed and the current ice storm outside is a killer. Just 5 mins and I can almost cry when they thaw. I’ve been checked for diabetes, seen the podiatrist (waste of time until surgery is needed) and do have issues with other joints but not nearly as bad. Lie I said it just seems so odd when a traditional ice pack can be a godsend other times. Guess it’s just another one of those crazy unexplainable PSA anomalies!

1 Like

I’ve no idea what it is about either, @Rachael. All I know is that come November I start to clench and I don’t unfurl until April. The cold/winter months are the pits for me. You feet, though, are they cold all the time? I have Raynaud’s (a secondary condition from PsA) and I take nifedipine (calcium channel blocker) for it. It has really helped to even out my body temperature and not have those freeze/thaw cycles in my fingers and toes.

I’m not sure about you guys but if I leave a cold pack on too long it starts to hurt a lot… I think my inflammation likes the cold but as soon as it gets to the joint itself it starts to hurt… which is what happens when you get cold in winter…

Not sure if that’s it though, for me it seems that way.

Hi Cynthia! Having flashbacks of multiple times I ice packed my feet after a long day only to accidentally fall asleep with them. OMG! The pain of thawing tootsies plagued with neuropathy! Word to the wise never leave on more than 20 mins or it could hurt more than before icing. Survived 2 ice storms and a snow storm that lasted a week all while wearing my steel toed boots required for work but I would be lying if the words in my head didn’t come out loudly at times. I feel lucky to live in an are where that only happens once every 10 yrs or more, the rest of you snow bunnies are amazing, really don’t know how you all do it daily! Much respect!!

I don’t even understand how the PsA knows it’s cold weather when I’ve got the heating up full and don’t go outside. Does it leave my body and have a peek out of the window? Either way, I get very numb fingers when it’s the winter that won’t get warm (despite the heating being on), always after 10pm at night, and always gone by morning. Plus the arthritis when it’s cold outside is a complete use your own expletive.

1 Like

Raynauds?

Yes, I think so!

@darinfan now you have me thinking of PsA like it’s Dexters Dark Passenger (I’m reading my way through the series of books now). Always there but has it’s own mind.

Only, you know, without the whole being a serial killer thing.

Similar for me @darinfan. Around 9-10 at night I get a cold / burning in my toes. Fingers hurt constantly so its difficult to tell with those, although they are worse at night. This feeling is definitely worse in the colder months. I’ll be nice and simply say it sucks- though I have a few choice words I’d rather use. :wink:

Yes, I don’t get it in the summer, which is odd. My nails literally go blue and I have to sit there with my fingers in a bowl of hot water to warm them up!

I have Raynaud’s too and it’s really painful. Mostly I get it in my fingers and toes, but it also affect my ears which is the absolute pits. I now take nifedipine for it daily. The medicine has helped me feel much warmer in the house, at work, when passing the refrigerated section on the grocery…

I take adequate precautions, now, too. I wear ear warmers if it is windy and if the temperature is colder than the mid 50’sF. And I always have light gloves in my pockets. But the medication really turned things around for me. I was even able to turn down the thermostat in the house and I no longer sleep with a heating pad under my feet!!

1 Like

I have just been wondering this exact thing myself. The weather keeps changing and every time a cold front comes, my feet are so cold even when I’m inside with the heat on. I live on a heating pad at times and my toes never feel warm.