Effected Joints feel cold! Any ideas?

Hi All, I was diagnosed with PsA two years go and am on Humira (40ml) and methotrexate (20) and folic acid. Up until the last couple of months it was my hands and feet, and when I get an extra flare they feel warm. But recently my knees started and I feel my hips are not in pain as such but just not 100%. So does anyone know why my knees are physically cold, also my wrists which are usually a bad spot. The skin is cold to touch. I haven’t had gret luck with the humira and getting ill. Last April I had pneumonia and in hosp for a week and by the time I got back on the humira it took 22 weeks to kick in, then great for a month or so and then had to go in more anti biotics for a sinus infection, which then didn’t clear so had to take another anti biotic and now waiting for that one to kick in… And in pain!!! I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen to help, but only temporarily.
Sorry for the rant but this is my first post and I am a bit down, so rant over, I will be positive from now on :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance
LF

Welcome! That's an interesting situation, that your skin is cold. Usually with inflammation comes warmth, as you know. I wish I could help you out with this particular situation.

Thanks for a reply stoney, it is unusual I would have thought as up until now the joints are obviously warm to touch. I am sitting here and can feel the temperature difference through my jeans. I am wondering is it a side effect of the humira, or hopefully a sign that it’s going to kick in soon :slight_smile:

cold joints can be a sign of enthesitis because the inflamation is actually above the joints OR in the joints Lfcarrickgorman was mentioning, something going on in the hips or shoulders. It could also be a nerve impingement. Its okay to rant...... I say this with icebags on my knee today trying to cool it off.....

Thanks TNTLamb, I will do a google on it now :slight_smile:
I don’t like doing a google 'cause you scare yourself sometimes, but worse is when you don’t find anything :slight_smile:
Regards
LF

I have enthesitis and get this. I wear arm warmers (go from my hands to my elbows) to keep my wrists warm.

Hi all, just spoke with my rheumatology nurse and she suggests it is Raynauds disease and I must go to my GP and get tested… It’s always something huh?
Thanks for all your help, I’ll let you know how I get on…
LF

I get this extreme cold feeling too. My rheumy said that if you have 2 of these colors: red, white and/or blue it’s Reynauds syndrome. I believe I do have that. I am not on anything but NSAIDs at this point. After I get my hands, feet, arms, legs or end of nose warmed up they feel like they are burning up. And they hurt through the whole process, except for the end of my nose! Interestingly, I get chronic sinus infections and its a lot worse then. No cure for Reynauds, she said “Just wear more clothes”. Rheumy had a pamphlet on it so I assume it is part of the arthritis “family” of diseases.

Thanks Clr, for your information. I expect it is simply part of my PsA but here’s hoping they can help in some way. I have some improvement today if not physically then mentally! I will let you know how I get on at the GP…
Regards
LF

There may not be a cure for Reynaud's but there are some things you can do in addition to wear more cloths. First off, the clothes need to be the right type. I wear insulated boots and shoes all winter, and try to avoid cotton socks, which can make your feet colder. Instead I wear wool socks. Just make sure the shoes aren't too tight. I wear gloves most of the time outside, and inside I often wear fingerless gloves or handwarmers.

The first rheumy that I went to suggested I try out gingko biloba supplements during the cold months, and it did help. Once I started Plaquenil for my PsA, I started having less of a problem with it. Not that it went away, it just moderated the Reynaud's. I wish you luck with this.

Clr said:

I get this extreme cold feeling too. My rheumy said that if you have 2 of these colors: red, white and/or blue it's Reynauds syndrome. I believe I do have that. I am not on anything but NSAIDs at this point. After I get my hands, feet, arms, legs or end of nose warmed up they feel like they are burning up. And they hurt through the whole process, except for the end of my nose! Interestingly, I get chronic sinus infections and its a lot worse then. No cure for Reynauds, she said "Just wear more clothes". Rheumy had a pamphlet on it so I assume it is part of the arthritis "family" of diseases.