Wild and Wooly Summertime Adventure

I'm still looking forward to our summer adventure...

Except, I hope our daughter lets us bring the 3 girls along, or it won't be much fun with just my husband. :-( We have a camper cabin reserved in Jay Cooke state park and then a hotel room the next night in Duluth at the end if Sept. The kids would have to miss 2 days of school, and my daughter's not too hep on that.

We'd have so much fun, though! My husband does NOT enjoy roughing it AT ALL, and in Duluth he'll want to sit in our hotel room and watch TV. If the kids are with us we can do so many fun things. I want to take them to Gooseberry Falls and look for agates on the beach of Lake Superior, but his idea of picking agates is going to an agate store. Just feeding the seaguls at the harbor is fun! Or crawling on the jagged rocks by the lake-or watching the ships come and go--Duluth has a really neat channel that the tourists can stand at and wave to the ship crew! It's all so fun, and these are things I've done since childhood. My husband doesn't have childhood memories, so he can't relate. But, I want our grandkids to have these memories, too!

So, crossing my fingers that the kids can go along!

Well there is hope for your husband too............ I have a daughter who since we adopted her when she was three has believed camping involved no room service or "pool boy" and discount shopping was outlet malls. She became a tennis player because she like the outfits and the jewelry. She really liked basketball but the uniforms were "gross".... When she left the pro tour she made quite a splash when appointed the magistrate for youth court she asked a run away 14 year old girl brought before her from detention if she had "no pride" being seen wearing bright orange which clearly clashed with her hair and complexion and sentenced her to go backpacking and a makeover so she could choose between the good, bad and the ugly for her life....... (the girl had also complained her mother tried to spank her (admittedly a very mild few swats to the appropriate target with her hand not a beating for a rather profane outburst) Jessie told her that one was nothing compared to the one she was likely to get when her Mom got her home) She has been reelected BTW after running unopposed

Last weekend at her daughters insistence (who was still PO'd she couldn't go camping with grandpa this summer) she met a with a group of college friends and their kids near Red River NM. They stayed in group of 5 or 6 "rustic cabins" with a small central lodge and did all manner of outdoorsey things. The group had so much fun they bought the place...... My daughter the prima donna now has a rustic cabin in the woods. Its never to late to make a memory.

Missing two days of school to do this? As a parent, it's a no-brainer to me. Family, travel, nature: it's all more educational than two short days of school. Suggest your daughter lighten up just a little and let them go. A long weekend with the grandparents is a rarity, but that spelling test will still be there the next week.

Grandma J said:

I'm still looking forward to our summer adventure...

Except, I hope our daughter lets us bring the 3 girls along, or it won't be much fun with just my husband. :-( We have a camper cabin reserved in Jay Cooke state park and then a hotel room the next night in Duluth at the end if Sept. The kids would have to miss 2 days of school, and my daughter's not too hep on that.

We'd have so much fun, though! My husband does NOT enjoy roughing it AT ALL, and in Duluth he'll want to sit in our hotel room and watch TV. If the kids are with us we can do so many fun things. I want to take them to Gooseberry Falls and look for agates on the beach of Lake Superior, but his idea of picking agates is going to an agate store. Just feeding the seaguls at the harbor is fun! Or crawling on the jagged rocks by the lake-or watching the ships come and go--Duluth has a really neat channel that the tourists can stand at and wave to the ship crew! It's all so fun, and these are things I've done since childhood. My husband doesn't have childhood memories, so he can't relate. But, I want our grandkids to have these memories, too!

So, crossing my fingers that the kids can go along!

If your grandkids can’t go, I will volunteer! LOL I think they NEED to go. What an opportunity. What grades are the kids in?

I really think most of the problem may be that my daughter can't go along....so she's jealous that the kids may be having fun without her. I'm not sure, but that could be at least part of the problem. The twins are in 5th grade and Sunny is in Kindergarten. They're in Spanish immersion, so Kindergarten will be challenging for Sunny and that's part of why it might not be smart to take her out of school. But, she might feel bad if we only take her big sisters. We would definitely bring their school work along.....I'm hopeful to get my way this time!

I'm excited to see Jay Cooke (Carlton, MN) this year. We had reservations a couple years ago, but then there was a big flood and the infamous "swinging bridge" was destroyed! You can see pictures online if you're interested. Anyway, now the swinging bridge is repaired and I WANT TO GO THERE WITH THE KIDS!!!!

I love these pictures and adventures :) great idea, the do something anti-PsA!!

Sooooo, as I had a wild night out I will show the only other picture of my Saturday night. The shameful ones have been deleted to save my blushes, and from legs akimbo tangled around the "Pole" from putting you off your dinner! But here is me and my pole pre performance ;) As for excuses......it was my first trip to a gay bar so I was a bit frisky!

I love reading all these!

My biggest adventure this Summer was our week at Camp Calumet in Freedom, New Hampshire. My spondylitis was flaring, I was on higher doses of prednisone, and I had my rheumy's blessing to HAVE FUN, which for me meant hiking and kayaking. Did I mention this was the first year that our three oldest were in resident camp and two youngest in day camp and my husband and I had EIGHT HOURS TO OURSELVES every day?

We survived a lightning strike just feet from our tent, rode out a storm on an air mattress and a prayer, nearly had a kayaking child swept away by strong currents, and I somehow made it to the top of the world (well, it seemed so at the time) even though every step was excruciating. I blogged about it here (with pictures): http://rannygahoots.blogspot.com/2014/07/adventure-camp.html

I went to San Diego last week. Such a nice change from the cool northern Illinois weather we have had all summer. My husband was at a seminar so I got to play a lot on my own. I rented a bike for half a day and rode it to the beach. I explored tide pools. I walked to the beach and spent the day there on my own just enjoying the sound of the surf. The seminar rented the USS Midway out for dinner one night. We got to use the flight simulators on board, toured the engine room and the bridge. We rented a boat and cruised around in mission bay one evening. We had a great time!

206-debandbrian.JPG (83.9 KB) 207-lagunabeach.JPG (112 KB) 208-seagull.JPG (127 KB)

Over the bar meds Sybil ;) at £1.50 per drink before 11pm........mix well and stand back!
sybil said:

Louise, what meds are you on and where can I get them?

Louise Hoy said:

I love these pictures and adventures :) great idea, the do something anti-PsA!!

Sooooo, as I had a wild night out I will show the only other picture of my Saturday night. The shameful ones have been deleted to save my blushes, and from legs akimbo tangled around the "Pole" from putting you off your dinner! But here is me and my pole pre performance ;) As for excuses......it was my first trip to a gay bar so I was a bit frisky!

Way to go Louise! :)

I'm still trying to hold off the slow slide from summer into autumn so this afternoon decided that a (probably) final paddle and kite flying beach session was needed .........

PS. Sartorial elegance not called for on Norfolk beaches!

That looks lovely Jules, I love nice empty beaches :slight_smile: I haven’t flown a kite since my kids were young teenagers…we used to go up to Dunstable Downs, but haven’t flown kites on the beach since I was a kid :slight_smile: looking at your picture its maybe something to get back too.

That looks much cooler than repotting my geraniums and racking my riesling from the primary......

LOVELY, Jules!

Jules said:

I'm still trying to hold off the slow slide from summer into autumn so this afternoon decided that a (probably) final paddle and kite flying beach session was needed .........

PS. Sartorial elegance not called for on Norfolk beaches!

I forgot I add I got my second ever tattoo this summer! I took advantage of my humira break and made myself a little less employable LOL

Last Thursday I hustled out of work and packed up the truck so we could do this on the lake:

Wonderful, Meg! I have an appointment in October to get some work on my back finished. I’m going to be a bad patient. My derm told me to stop getting tattooed; I was getting P outbreaks where my tattoos were. With Remicade, I’m hopeful that this won’t happen.

West_CoastMeg said:

I forgot I add I got my second ever tattoo this summer! I took advantage of my humira break and made myself a little less employable LOL