What did you try to do today?

Well, the dog was looking kinda shaby. I trimmed up her toe hairs and cleaned her ears. She didn't like it any more than I did.

I said "dang Chowdor! Your feet stink!"

What a mistake! I decided to throw her in the tub. I thought I was gonna pass-out about half way into it! Lucky for her I didn't but, I had to lean this way, lean that way...I sure miss the good ole days.

This was in no way a "new" thing but, it really kicked me in the hurts this time!!!!

It's not easy going from the one who never sits down to the one who never gets up.

One of these days I have to fully train my husband how to cut the cats' nails, and train my children to cut their own nails. Somehow I find myself in charge of nails for 5 beings, plus myself. And when my hands and wrists are bad, which seems all of the time right now, believe me, I feel your pain. Even washing dishes can be a real problem for me sometimes. When my wrists are super bad, I actually have old splints that I wear to wash dishes without too much pain.

It's hard when you're used to being very independent, to rely on people for assistance for those things that you "should" be able to do.

Amen to that! I have been a dog rescuer for the last 10 years. I live on 5 acres with 20 dogs, the majority of which are bigger than me. Up until last September it was no problem handling them and the work involved, my husband always said I was stronger than most men!
Then I got my first flare, that I am currently still suffering with. The doctors keep promising me they are going to get me back in business. Won’t be soon enough for my husband and kids, who are now, like it or not full time rescuers!

Oh my gosh...I had this experience a few weeks back...I adopted a wonderful dog from a local shelter, and had to take him to be neutered (sorry Mortie)...Wanted to give him a nice bath first! He was so very good, but halfway thru, I thought I was going to keel over, from exhaustion...My legs were shaking so bad...I was sore for a week! I never thought I could be so weak, BUT....My dog smells fabulous! It was worth the effort! Happy day!

Hello 4hooves, We must be related because, that is exactly how I felt! My legs felt like jell-o!

A few years ago I had the two neighbor boys (more like big viking boys) help me move my pool table to our new house. I figured I'd get off easy but, they had a hard time lifting it. I put them both at one end and I got the other by myself. They looked at me like I was stupid...untill I grabbed it and said come-on!

It seems pathetic now to think washing my dog makes me feel like I ate a pool table!

By the way, my dog smells great too, like Head & Sholders. I don't know why I still call her a dog anyway, she's one of the family for sure!!!

Hiya Robert,

I just wanna respond to your line; "It's not easy going from the one who never sits down to the one who never gets up."

Man...... doesn't that say it all !

Good Days...

I dread the dog wash days because I know it will take the rest of the day for my back to recover (at least). Now, my poor old girl is 15.5 and hurts worse than I do. I just can't put her through getting in the tub, especially during a cold winter.

Quite often, I hear in my head "A body at rest stays at rest." and "Move it or lose it". I should have it tattooed somewhere. ;)

Well, good for you, Robert. I bet Chowdor looks and smells spiffy now.

I'm sorry about the hurt. I'm not sure I'll ever really get used to the body of the "new me" not being the body of the "old me." But you didn't just TRY to do something today....YOU DID IT.

I cleaned the bathrooms, did some reading for a class I'm taking, and stopped myself in the middle of being crabby with my husband and apologized. He hadn't done anything, and I was just hurting because my MTX is wearing off and I was reacting to the pain and not to him. That got us on to a much better track for the day, and I'm glad I pushed the self-control button.

Funny to read this today, I have to wash one of our dogs tomorrow! She is a pug so I can wash her in the sink but during my last flare I would dread it so. I am thrilled Gardner you were able to push the self control button, it is something we all need to develop. And Robert I am thrilled your dog smells better, mine will tomorrow.......they are members of the family (with hygiene issues!)

I absolutely agree!! I went from the one working two jobs to not working at all and it seems like everything I do causes extreme pain. I know my kids are missing me now and I try to be present at everything they do but when doing the dishes and clothes makes your SI joint ache so bad you want to cry its hard to sit for 9 hours through a swim meet! Hang in there because there are always better days!!

jadukes...You are so right, ALWAYS better days! I love all the positivity (is THAT a word?) here...And being as present as possible, for those who love us, takes so much energy, but it's so worth it to soak up every bit of joy and laughter... :)