Went to clinic today...and discovered why the doctor has been so snarky

Apparently, PsA doesn't exist. According to the doctor at the clinic that I go to, anyway. Today's visit went along these lines:

me: I came to get the results of my bloodwork and to get refills of prescriptions. Oh, and I need a copy of the bloodwork results to send to my Rheumatologist..

doc: why are you seeing a Rheumatologist?

me: I have Psoriatic Arthritis

doc: let me ask you again, why are you seeing a Rheumatologist?

me: because I have PsA and he writes prescriptions for me that you won't.

doc: like what?

me: Injectable MTX, Sulfasalazine, Vicodin, Cyclobenzaprine, Amitriptyline, and Fiorcet..

doc: "you have Psoriasis. You should be seeing a dermatologist. Everything else is just psoriasis. You don't need all those meds. You shouldn't be taking them, and any doctor that writes all those prescriptions is allowing you to malinger. I will write you a prescription for the pill form of MTX, but I insist that any patient on MTX also goes on long-term prednisone treatment as well. This dipping in for 5 days at a time is not helping you" (he is the one who prescribes the prednisone in 5 day spurts). "Your MTX dose is a pediatric dose" (yeah - for CANCER). I can't see why you aren't taking more. (I take 17.5 mg once a week). "I used to be an oncologist, so I am very familiar with MTX, and the injections work no differently than the pills. The only difference is cost, and the pills are much cheaper so that's what you should be taking." (except that I was spending 130 a month for the pills, and am only spending about $50 for a 3 month supply of the injectable).

It seriously went downhill from there.

Oh...and he has now decided I have diabetes. Granted my bloodwork did show some signs of heading that direction (my triglycerides are elevated, my blood glucose is elevated, my hemoglobin A1c is elevated), but he gave me a prescription for metaformin and gave me absolutely no dietary guidelines. The guy didn't even tell me to not eat sugar. Luckily, I'm a smart enough person to know this already, but still...

Oh, and my RDW is elevated, which he completely blew off. Also blew off the infected nasty bites on the back of my neck. Told me he didn't think they were insect bites, and that I should put some TMC ointment on it. This after my showing him the bites (that are weeping yellow pus). So I asked him if I should continue putting triple antibiotic ointment on it, to which he responded, "that isn't necessary." OH MY GOD. I NEED A NEW DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!! And as soon as the SSA decides I'm "sick" enough for disability, a new doctor is the first thing on my agenda

I LOVE Monty Python! Can quote the "Holy Grail" word for word (and often do at odd and usually inappropriate times).

Sybil, my friend, not strangling the doctor took every ounce of my self control, but he really isn't worth going to prison for (though at least I would get free medical care in there). Wouldn't have to cook either.

You would think that a) if this doc was an oncologist, and is "very familiar with MTX" he would have figured out that I have an increased chance of getting a systemic infection since the meds suppress the immune system DUH, and b) that he would possibly have some clue as to what the hell he is doing. But apparently, no such luck. He did give me a referral to a free dermatology clinic, and hey! I'm not shy. My psoriasis is better, but it isn't gone by any stretch of the imagination, so seeing a derm isn't going to hurt anything. Maybe the Derm. won't have his head in places it doesn't belong (like up his backside). When I got home I looked up information on the dermatology clinic...and lo and behold! There is another free medical clinic attached to it. Guess who's switching clinics?!? Maybe the docs there won't be such nasty little know-it-alls. In fact, maybe they will be a little more open to prescribing the meds I actually need to treat the symptoms of my PsA and still have enough energy to have a wee teensy bit of a life. That would be a nice change. They even have a specialized women's medicine clinic (also free) where I can get an appointment and possibly, maybe get a mammogram (have only had one of those things in my entire life. I think I'm probably due for another).

You definitely need a new doctor. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. It's just utterly ridiculous. I'm glad to hear that you seem to have already found a new possibility.

I would have started bawling right there in the office. Happy you have something better in the works and look forward to seeing it’s all worked out for you. Sometimes I feel like half the people in the states with chronic illness wouldn’t be so bad off if the health care wasn’t so hard to afford (even with insurance)which causes the level of care to be spotty at best in my humble opinion.

Lena - I completely agree

Good luck to you finding a new doc that knows what is really going on with your disease and cares for you properly. No one should have to put up with what you experienced with that doc. Hang in there. Be strong. I am rooting for you.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible experience!! I hope you get a new doctor very soon, one that actually listens and has an understanding of Psoriatic Arthritis! I LOVE my rheumy!! He and his nurse actually sort of "baby" me. He carefully checks all of my joints on all my fingers and toes, my spine, knees, achilles, etc. He's extremely thorough and touches very gently so as to not hurt me. I feel very cared for when I'm there. He and his nurse are also very thorough with the questions they ask me. They know what to look out for!! I hope you get an attentive, caring doctor/team like this!! Best wishes to you!!

I would give the world to be able to share my reumy with you. She is the sweetest, most empathetic doctor I have ever known and she has hooked me up with an entire care team that has me under their wings. Hang on my friend ... I am almost to the end of the disability line and my payout. I will fly in and hold your hand as soon as I can. My attorney says late August. Dr's all say it should be a go, so far so good. I miss you !!! :) but this place makes me sad sometimes