Greetings!

Hi all.

I've had issues with pain and swollen joints for over ten years. Things really started to progress about 4 years ago, but the doctor I had at the time insisted that my issues were only fibromyalgia and allergies. Since we are a military family, we move in the summer of 2012 and I got a new doctor. This one listened to what I had to say and took my concerns seriously. From that point, it only took a year to get referred to a rheumatologist.

He wasn't sure prior to testing whether he thought it leaned more towards rheumatoid or psoriatic arthritis. His comment was that the treatment was the same so we started treatment at my first visit. I started with 20mg of methotrexate/week and 500 mg naprosyn 2X/day with tramadol as needed. While I always hurt, I really seem to need the pain meds to cope with my day a day or two after taking the methotrexate. I tolerate it ok. I found a fantastic probiotiic that seems to combat the gastrointestinal distress the meds leave in their wake.

I've known something was very wrong for a long time. It's nice to know I wasn't crazy.

It will be nice to make new friends.

Welcome to the group! It's always such a good feeling to be taken seriously. Your rheumy started you on treatment right away, which is excellent. I have to say, most doctors seem to start off with a lower dose of MTX, but that's fine. It sounds like you've found something to help out with this.

I wasn't clear how long you've been treated for. . . Have you seen significant improvement yet? It takes some time for the meds to start doing their work, and sometimes it's only when we look back a bit that we realize that the meds ARE working.

You. Are. Not. Crazy.
I felt very much the same when I was diagnosed. I think that's a common thread among members of the site. So many have such a strange set of symptoms that doctors don't tend to treat as a whole, rather they treat them individually and miss the bigger picture. This has left countless PsA sufferers undiagnosed for years and years.

So glad you're getting treatment. What's your pro-biotic?

hello welcome I am also a new member I have had psa for over 30 years I am currently taking methatextrate 0.6 once a week with a needle I tried the pills but I only could get up to taking 4 the goal was to get me up to 10 at a time once a week but when I started taking 6 I got sick and was vomiting called the doc and put me on the needle instead no more nauser it bye passes the track got my fingers crossed I can get up to the full dose soon It took about 3 months for me to get diagnoised nobody knows r body well except for us crazy nope knowing something is wrong yes

I think it is working. My flares are much smaller, so that's a BIG plus. Instead of being incapacitated, they are bothersome. I've been n the meds since mid-August, and I think it is helping. I'm supposed to go to 10 pills too, but I am conducting the orchestra for a production of Willy Wonka and have put off the increase until it's over. I can't afford to be to sick to be there.

the pro-biotic I use is Nature's Way Primodophilus. I got it at Fred Meyer's in what the locals here call the "hippie" section :)

My PCM was also surprised that I started out with a higher dose. He was even more surprised that I didn't have more trouble taking it. The first few weeks I fought some nausea and 36 hours after taking the meds, I just went down like a lead balloon. I'd wake up late, take a ten hour nap, and then go to bed early. Then I would wake up the next day and feel completely renewed. Weird. It tapered off and it isn't bad now unless I over-schedule (Like when Willy Wonka show has a matinee AND a night show..).

I am hoping that the oral dose continues to work for me. I'd prefer to avoid the needles. Not that I am afraid of them, but the seem like so much more work with a little one in the house.

Glad you're tolerating the meds! Keep watching your schedule. It's tempting to cram in more stuff as you feel better but that's not always a wise move! Thanks for the update and the probiotic info.

Welcome! It's great to hear you're doing better on the meds. One of the most difficult thing is feeling better but also needing to remember to not overdo it. I feel like I'm continually attempting to find that balance - some days go better than others!