New to PsA and the site

Hello,

I have been looking on the site since March when my Dr. told me I had PsA. I have gone through all the emotions and am still denying I have this disease. Even though I am in constant pain and watched the knuckle on my left thumb swell up. I waited two months for a referral from my Dr. Finally last Friday I received a call from the Rheumotolgist saw him today. I found out that I have PsA and rheumatoid arthritis. Has anyone heard of this. I am confused. He said they are the same? I did take a sulfa drug that I had an allergic reaction to so they took me off it. Today the rheumo put me on Methotrexate along with folic acid and Meloxicam. I start taking them on Saturday since Sunday is a light day for me and I will be home most of the day. With the Methotrexate I can have nausea and possibly vomit. So the Dr. suggested staying home will be the best thing. I have wanted to write for awhile to vent and ask questions, after going through the discussions I have answers to my questions. Thank for the information.

Zaporah

PsA and RA are not the same thing; they are different diseases. However, they often coexist. What is your dose of MTX? If your 10 mg + I’d suggest the self injections (easier on the stomach) Make sure you drink plenty of water. Also, talk to your doctor about the FA; it may be possible to tweak the dose a bit to help with the side effects.

Welcome, I'm sorry about the diagnoses. It really does suck doesn't it. I hope the Mtx helps you. I had bad side effects with it and couldn't keep taking it but others do fine on it. At least you're on the road to find meds that will help you. Sometimes it's a long road but you have support here whenever you need it. :) Be sure to keep notes on all your side effects for your doctor appointments. It will help.

sybil said:

Hi Zaporah and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but, as is often said, pleased for you too. Ideal = no disease, very next best thing = diagnosis plus appropriate treatment. I hope you do well on Methotrexate. I've just started it again for various reasons and now think of it as an old friend. It sometimes gets a bad press but I get more side effects from a glass of beer or a plate of stodgy food than from 25 mg of Methotrexate. It does take a while to take effect but once it has the improvement can keep building up.

The combination of RA and PsA is not uncommon. But I've never understood it and would share your confusion. This site is the best resource ever for tackling confusion so I'm sure others will help with this. Are there any old posts on the combination?

I chuckled when I read that you are in denial ... me too! I think that's just the way it goes.

Sybil

The starting dose is 2.5 mg 3 pills once a week , up to 8 doses once a week. Last night was my first does so today I am feeling nausea all day, more when I am active. I didn't see old postings of both the Psa or the RA will look tonight. I do feel different not as stiff. Will see how things work out.

Thank you

Zaporah

sybil said:

Hi Zaporah and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but, as is often said, pleased for you too. Ideal = no disease, very next best thing = diagnosis plus appropriate treatment. I hope you do well on Methotrexate. I've just started it again for various reasons and now think of it as an old friend. It sometimes gets a bad press but I get more side effects from a glass of beer or a plate of stodgy food than from 25 mg of Methotrexate. It does take a while to take effect but once it has the improvement can keep building up.

The combination of RA and PsA is not uncommon. But I've never understood it and would share your confusion. This site is the best resource ever for tackling confusion so I'm sure others will help with this. Are there any old posts on the combination?

I chuckled when I read that you are in denial ... me too! I think that's just the way it goes.