Hello all!

Hi guys!

I have to say I am extremely excited that I found this website. I do not personally know anybody that has PsA, so it will be awesome talking to people that understand what I am going through.

Here is a little about me and my new journey with PsA

I have had chronic pain for the past three, almost four years. It first started in a knee that had previous operations. When it first started I saw my orthopedic surgeon who pointed me into the direction of a rheumatologist. At that point he told me I had PsA and put me on Plaquenil, which I had a bad reaction with. I kind of went into denial and stopped seeing him in the hopes that he was wrong and it wasn't a condition that was going to require life long treatment. I decided to deal with the pain with over the counter NSAIDS, which don't work as well anymore. Well, needless to say, the pain has gotten much worse within the past year and has spread to many other joints throughout my body. This past month I got a second opinion who confirmed my diagnoses and discussed treatment options with me. He let me think about the options and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to try Methotrexate.

What are your experiences with Methotrexate? What are your side effects? Any tips for this next step on my journey?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

kiki

Welcome kiki. I also was thrilled to find other people with PsA. I had never known anyone with it. The support and information from this site has been invaluable to me.

The easiest way to learn all about methotrexate (mtx) is to enter it into the search function at the top of the page. It will bring up all past posts about it.

You may also want to purchase the book "The Facts:Psoriatic Arthritis" mentioned in the book section. The kindle version is quite inexpensive and a lot of us here own it.

As we say here, "Fear the disease not the meds."

Welcome kiki.

Tips on MTX:

1. Request the injection form. It's a whole lot easier than dealing with the side effects of the oral.
  2. Request an Rx. for folic acid to take along with it.
  3. Start taking the folic acid a few days before you begin the MTX.
  4. Schedule your dosing for a time when you are free from work and other commitments, so maybe Friday night. Use this schedule until you know how the med with affect you. You can change it later.

Hi Kiki,

Wondering how you're managing on MTX? I was on and off the pills for 2 years, then asked for the injectable as my cousin and friend are on that and did well. Each time after the 7th shot, I got a bad hangover (SO tired, in bed/dizzy/dopey/ for 2 days), and back on pills now. Still tired after pills, but not like the injection. I get brain fog; can't think what to say, mix up words, feel like I'm in a fog and can't do what I used to do. ei: did some laundry and vacuumed, then a 'flare' hit, SO tired, and body ached, it told me I pushed it too far! Some of us react to the same med so differently, so try not to worry what others side effects are, as you may not have them. I've tried Arava & Sulfasalazine but side effects again and off of them now. I also take 5mg folic acid, but not on MTX day. I hope it's working for you! Glad to meet you!