Using a cane

This may seem like a silly question and if so I apologize. But for those that use a cane, when did you determine you needed to start using one? Or for those that have advice as to when would you recommend to start using one please chime in.

The reason I ask is because my knees, feet and left ankle sure give me troubles, but I can still manage to get around fairly well I guess. I do limp a little but I feel like I get around fairly well. I have a cane and at times I feel like I should use it, but I don't feel like I am bad enough and do not want to appear disrespectful to people that in my mind have things worse than I do. I'm not sure that makes sense, but I need some help, I'm struggling with this. Thank you

I started using one when I figured out how much less exhausted I was when I used one. Actually, I started walking oddly in order to compensate for pain on one side and, as a result, ended up with pain on my “good” side. So, that was the turning point for me. I’m glad I have it. I know if I plan to do a lot of walking that I will need it. It helps a lot. People give me funny looks because I’m pretty young to be using a cane, but it helps to keep me upright and moving. Frankly, that is all that matters to me.

Make sure that you have a good cane, set at the right height and that you are using it correctly. Otherwise you will do more harm than good.

I hope that helps you some!

Hi GrumpyCat,

That does help. I can totally relate to the point you are making about walking oddly and then creating other pain to compensate. I really do appreciate you replying and sharing your experience and advice. Thank you

One other thing to think about: when people see someone using a cane they tend to cut a wider path around them, are less likely to let a door shut in their face, that sort of thing. If you are a bit unsteady, using it as much as a signal as a support might be helpful. No need to get sideswiped in a crowd.

Hi Louise,

You know you bring up a good point. I did use it a few months back because I was doing a lot of walking and that is exactly what happened. People actually held the door open for me and took extra care when they were around me. I was sort of impressed. I just need to convince myself that it's okay to use it more than I am... Thank you for your advice

I just decided yesterday to look into a cane. I think like GrumpyCat I will feel better in the long run if I just use one. So how does one go about getting one set at the right height anyway?

You may want to look at this info. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canes/HA00064

here's a great guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Hold-and-Use-a-Cane-Correctly

I'm sure there are a bunch of youtubes. You don't use them the way you thinks, or even how it comes naturally so practice to get the most good (you use them on your GOOD side for one thing)

I feel exactly the same way a lot of the time. I am 39 and I feel very awkward using a cane but there are times I absolutely can't walk without it. My knee gets so swollen with fluid (PsA inflammation and I have a Baker's Cyst) that I cannot walk without the assistance. I was having the same problem as others where my "good" side would start to hurt from limping and compensating. I have 3 kids, the youngest of which is 3, so I have no choice but to figure out a way to make myself function. My knee is sort of on a cycle so every 2 weeks or so I have to use the cane for a few days. I get more comfortable and feel less conspicuous each time I have to use it.

Thank you all for your advice and information. Leave it to me to use a cane wrong lol I'm glad I asked.

And that is exactly how I feel Crabbygirl... awkward. But since putting this on here I realize I better get over my pride and take care of myself. Thank you all again

I’m 27 and the first time I used a cane was soo awkward I was with my mom and my grandma and aunt and here I am the youngest with a cane. I got a few looks but I pushed through it. I got me a purple one :slight_smile: I decided to try out the cane because I couldn’t keep up with them when we went shopping and even a trip to Walmart was horrible for me and I still refuse to use a cart. Lol. I’ve found that useing my cane helps me do more. It makes a grocery shopping trip just a little better and allows me to sometimes keep up with my family. If I’m up to going in the first place that is. :wink: using my cane really has helped. Although when I mentioned it to my rheumy she was like oh you don’t need a cane! Bleh that kinda aggravated me but I’m still using it!

I started using a cane on and off WELL after I should have used one (same with parking placard, etc....I'm pretty stubborn). Sometimes a flare makes me feel wobbly, like my joints are connected by Jello...not really painful, the can helps me step more surely, and keeps people from banging into me. If I'm in pain all over (my disease is systemic and symmetrical), switching the cane from side to side helps me "rest" part of my body, and I can do things longer.

My cane use is very intermittent, I might use it every day for a week, and then not for months.

I turned 40 eighteen months ago, and suddenly I don't care what people think of my cane. The benefits of aging!

Thank you Mindy and Marietta for your replies. I have been using it more and more to help myself. And as someone else mentioned, one thing I have noticed is that people actually give you more space when they see you moving with a cane. That definitely helps. My doctor will not give me the parking placard though. He says I need to keep moving. I get his point and understand his logic, but some days are just tough to get in and out of the car.

Thank you all for your input though. It has helped me to get over the awkwardness I feel using one. Thanks again

My opinion of the parking placard is that it keeps me moving MORE. Because I can park closer to places (more important on the way out than the way in), I actually can be MORE active. The placard has made the difference some days between taking my children to the library or the park, or staying home. I couldn't attend the local farmer's market EVER (parking is quite a ways away, other than the disabled spots) without my placard. The placard is supposed to give you more freedom to be out and about, and I can't imagine why a dr. would say that. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Livinday2day said:

My doctor will not give me the parking placard though. He says I need to keep moving. I get his point and understand his logic, but some days are just tough to get in and out of the car.

Reading your comment about giving you more freedom makes complete sense. You are right, because there are days I don't go and do something because I dread the potential long walk which is the result most of the time, so I stay home instead. So in reality I would be doing more knowing I could be closer. I think I am going to talk to my doc again. Thank you for making me see this differently.

Marietta said:

My opinion of the parking placard is that it keeps me moving MORE. Because I can park closer to places (more important on the way out than the way in), I actually can be MORE active. The placard has made the difference some days between taking my children to the library or the park, or staying home. I couldn't attend the local farmer's market EVER (parking is quite a ways away, other than the disabled spots) without my placard. The placard is supposed to give you more freedom to be out and about, and I can't imagine why a dr. would say that. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Livinday2day said:

My doctor will not give me the parking placard though. He says I need to keep moving. I get his point and understand his logic, but some days are just tough to get in and out of the car.

LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!

Marietta said:

My opinion of the parking placard is that it keeps me moving MORE. Because I can park closer to places (more important on the way out than the way in), I actually can be MORE active. The placard has made the difference some days between taking my children to the library or the park, or staying home. I couldn’t attend the local farmer’s market EVER (parking is quite a ways away, other than the disabled spots) without my placard. The placard is supposed to give you more freedom to be out and about, and I can’t imagine why a dr. would say that. I’m sorry that happened to you.

Livinday2day said:

I’m 38 and was an OX prior to my sudden onset two years ago. My PSA was trauma induced by a work accident back injury so I’ve needed a cane, walker, even a wheelchair depending on the day. I get people looking at me all the time, the most popular comment I overhear is “he was probably shot”. In the beginning I didn’t even want to leave my house. When I started to I would park in normal spots and walk across parking lots to stores and rely on my cane or a cart to lean on. I didn’t want to take a parking spot or a powered cart from a handicapped person. Then I realized, I’m Handicapped. Why am I forcing myself to suffer and do less because I had to do everything the hard way. Thats when i gave in and got my handicapped placard and always use my cane. guess what, i find myself going more places and doing more activities now. Your not disrespecting anyone by doing what’s best for yourself.

If your doctor won’t sign off of a placard, get yourself a new doctor. Walking across a parking lot is not very safe when your knees and ankles can go out on you at anytime.

Hi

I guess I am the same as most of us on here or with PsA, I use my stick (a purple fruity number ) if I need to. But then again I was walking aroud with 2 broken meta tarsals in my foot, that I just knew as bone pain. So I am prob not the best person to ask. Livindat2day, your doctor is not very emathy driven, been there and its awful ( I wanted to ask my doc to walk about for one day with sharp stones in his shoe all day so he could gain some understanding of a situ....) I now ask medical staff their understanding of the disease if they are general practitioners. I now have a doctor who is very understanding of the illness, as well as my frustrations at it. This is such a bonus and I do hope that you too can get this soon as it helped keep me sane. Please try again for the parking placard, even with another doctor. Good luck my friend

Hi, Maybe this will help http://www.fashionablecanes.com/cane-sizing.html
I bought my cane from here & I love mine. Their sizing info was a perfect.

Hi Livin and all-

I keep a cane in my car and one by the front door in case I need it.

Both were made by my Dad many years ago so there's a sentimentality factor there for me. I find that I need to use a cane after a long car ride to keep me stable as I fuel up and make my way to the ladies room.

I have not noticed folks moving out of the way or holding doors more often -- but I will say that I get more "Ma'ams" instread of "Misses'" when shopping.

If a cane helps then it can't hurt :)