Tricks of the Trade

Hey I was wondering if anyone has any odd tricks for dealing with day to day life. For example I always thought it was funny the way it is much easier to go up stairs than it is come down them. Because my feet don’t pivot upward you know they want to point down, this makes going downstairs no fun at all but I can go upstairs flat footed. Now I go downstairs backward and it is not only a lot faster (as if anything I do could be thought of as fast) but it hurts a lot less.
Has anyone else developed strange work arounds to some of these problems?

Hi RS,

Going up the stairs is not bad for me, coming down is a whole different story, I have to do it slowly and sideways, the shooting pain in my knees and hips is difficult. Sometimes my feet feel like I am walking on rocks, especially in the morning, I have alot of ceramic on the main floor, which does not help at all for people who have leg or feet problems. As for tricks I am going to have to think about how I do things, we get so use to doing little things differently that we do not really pay attention!:)

I guess I would start with the basics - pushing doors open with your body instead of your hand - using one of those pull carts instead of carrying things - having others open bottles for me but if no one is around, I have been known to use my teeth (but don't tell my orthodontist). I also use a throw pillow behind my head to keep it up when I am sitting (neck muscles have been straining lately). Like SunAngel777, I walk down steps sideways all ways using the railing. I do not use my hands to get out of chairs and bed, I try to do it with my legs but I am sure that may be different for those flaring in their knees (most of mine is in my hands right now). Isn't it amazing how we learn to adjust things? Just the slightest change may be enough to make things more comfortable.

Well my flare was in the whole right side of my body, jaw to feet....and then a few areas on my left side. I am very lucky that I have no stairs to deal with but that doesnt mean day to day life is any easier...the best piece of advice I can give you is listen to your body and pay attention, what works on day wont work the next day sometimes, for example I had to sleep on the sofa for almost a month because it was easier for me to sit up in the mornings since I was so stiff now I am able to sleep in my bed again, I have learned to plan ahead and organize things so that they are easy for me to get to, I have rearranged things in my home so that I dont have to bend (which is a killer for me) I did hear a trick that has helped me which is sitting on a plastic bag in the car so its easier to slide out of your car...hot showers and baths work great for me. and I havent really had any luck with pain pills other than aleve but i did have a cortisone shot about 2 weeks ago that has worked wonders for me, the pain is still there but it has helped ease the inflammation which has helped to ease alot of the pain...Best of luck with you I hope you find ways to live around the PsA!!

Hi, happened to think of something when you mentioned opening bottles. I use a nutcracker--the kind that sort of resemble pliers. They fit right around most lids and the gripper part makes twisting a lid off much easier.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. We do have an opener for bigger caps but water bottles caps are so much smaller. I think we already have a nutcracker so I will try it next time :)

Byrd Feeder said:

Hi, happened to think of something when you mentioned opening bottles. I use a nutcracker--the kind that sort of resemble pliers. They fit right around most lids and the gripper part makes twisting a lid off much easier.

Hi,

For opening bottles and jars, I have a special plastic mat that is very grippy. Works a treat, but if the pain is too bad, I stick a knife under the lid to break the seal and then it is REALLY easy to open :)

Hello to all!

I have found that getting proper rest is very important. I have a waterbed and would not trade it for anything. I put a down filled comforter on top and it really holds in the heat. The pedestal is high so it is easy to get in and out of. The other thing that really helps is satin pj's. It is sooo much easier to turn from side to side to get comfy than cotton or flannel. That tip I found on the arthritis website and it really helped!