Knee pain

Anyone ever have pain around the knees? The pains I am having don't feel like they are coming from inside my knee, but in the surrounding tissues, especially in the back. They don't hurt when I walk, but hurt very much when I get up out of chair or climb stairs. I've been dealing with a sick dog and have been doing lots of getting up and down with her. Maybe it's simply overdoing it, but not sure what exactly to do about that since she needs help. Of all things, she has developed severe arthritis in her spine. The poor thing can't even stand up to eat. So I've been hand feeding her while she is lying down. Any thoughts? For me or the dog...we both need help! lol

Hi Byrd, My knee pain feels more like all the ligiments and tissues connecting to the joints are inflamed and stiff. I had several injections of synvisc in both knees, to no avail. I can walk a fair distance without too much pain, but it's pretty hard to do stairs.

Hi Byrd, I have alot of pain in my knees, but my right knee is the worst, and the pain is around the knee like you but I feel it more on top and around my knee cap of my knee and on the knee cap it is becoming deformed, painful. And my home has three levels, alot of stairs , sometimes I am ok and other times I think my knee is going to give in and I am going to fall. Not a good feeling to have, always hurts more going down the stairs then up. And ohhhh!! that wonderrful grinding crunching noise is so nice !!!!!!! Totally understand where your coming from. Hugs!

Hi Byrd,

I'm sorry both you and your dog are struggling! I had a neighbor many years ago with a shepherd mix dog who had bad hips/spine. She (the neighbor) would use a sling under the body of her dog to help her assist the dog in getting up and going up and down stairs. Don't know if your hands are up to the task, but that might make the lifting a bit easier - taking the weight in your arms/shoulders, rather than your knees. Just a thought - and you might want to clear that with the vet, too, since I'm not a medical or veterinary-type person!

Hope things get better for both of you.

Andrea

I have pain in my right knee, but for me it's because the muscles on one side are stronger than the other and it's pulling my knee cap off track :/. If you can, maybe try tensing your quad muscles when you stand up/squat down. They might take some pressure off the ligaments in your knee. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you both find some relief soon.

You guys really hit the nail on the head--it feels more like muscles, tendons, ligaments than inside the joint space. Another gift from PsA, I guess. I've talked to very few people who have gotten relief from synvics injections, but the ones who do get relief say it's a wonder drug. Too bad it doesn't work for everybody. My knee pain right now is much worse in the back of the knee, but I've also had the front of the knee pain and going down stairs was almost unbearable. Sorry to hear you are dealing with that, Sun.

Good advice about the quads--my PT said the same thing!

And, thank you, Andrea for the advice about the sling for my dog. That does sound like a great idea. She weighs only 38 pounds, but with my knees like this, that 38 lbs feels like a hundred. Vet will be back Wednesday and I will ask him about that.

Thank you all for your replies. Sometimes it just helps to know you aren't the only one with these mystery ailments!

I have recently experienced stiffness and a dull ache in my left knee. It has not been diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis yet, but I'm 99% sure my Doc is going to pronounce the verdict in a few days. It is a bit of a mystery. No structural weakness; no swelling, no visible symptoms. The obvious clue is my left foot: toe nail discoloration, tingling sensation, slight skin redness on the soul. Why the knee joint all of a sudden? Is this a sign of a worsening condition or just a change in how psoriasis affects my body? As a life-long athlete, regular fitness is important to me. I encounter stiffness and dull pain when I get up from my desk to walk 30 feet to the printer. No stiffness or pain while sitting inactive. Riding a stationary bike for 10 mins causes no pain or other symptoms and brings flexibility and mobility. I'm trying to ride the bike a bit each evening, but I miss jogging, basketball, skating and more intensive forms of working out. Any suggestions? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Grant,

It must be hard to go from so active to being careful what kind of activity you are doing, but I understand, I work in an office and I am ok while sitting, but I have to be careful how I keep my legs because sometimes I can really get stiff, then when it's time to get up and move, my body is so stiff, like I have been frozen in time and I have to get moving. It does sound like you are having more symtoms and of course with PsA, it is a lifelong issue. I started with arthritis, broke my collerbone in two places when I was 14, then at age 22, the psoriasis started, after the birth of my first child and a trama. Now at 48, I am starting to get worse, or the symtoms are really beginning to progress. I try to avoid alot of the stronger meds by choice for as long as I can. But I know that sooner or later I will not have a choice. I take alot of baths and try hard to move around every 15 to 20 mins while working. Just wanted you to know I understand what you are feeling. :)

Grant said:

I have recently experienced stiffness and a dull ache in my left knee. It has not been diagnosed as psoriatic arthritis yet, but I'm 99% sure my Doc is going to pronounce the verdict in a few days. It is a bit of a mystery. No structural weakness; no swelling, no visible symptoms. The obvious clue is my left foot: toe nail discoloration, tingling sensation, slight skin redness on the soul. Why the knee joint all of a sudden? Is this a sign of a worsening condition or just a change in how psoriasis affects my body? As a life-long athlete, regular fitness is important to me. I encounter stiffness and dull pain when I get up from my desk to walk 30 feet to the printer. No stiffness or pain while sitting inactive. Riding a stationary bike for 10 mins causes no pain or other symptoms and brings flexibility and mobility. I'm trying to ride the bike a bit each evening, but I miss jogging, basketball, skating and more intensive forms of working out. Any suggestions? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Byrd, I know I am a little late to this party, but I have the same problems with my knees. My pain doc says it is the ligaments and gave me several good suggestions. First, he says to ice it for 20 min a few times per day. This really helps after a day or so. Also, he had me buy a knee brace from the drug store. He suggested the kind with the hole over the knee cap. It provides both support and compression. It is amazing how much it helps. An Nsaid also really helps, but I can't take them right now since I had to take them so much as a teenagers that my stomach is in horrible shape. But if you can take one, Aleve or ibuprofin really help. Last, he does a steroid injection directly into the ligament when the pain is as bad as you are describing. It doesn't get rid of it forever, but I get a much longer holiday from the pain when he does this vs. just doing the home remedies of ice and a brace.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Hi Byrd,

I have recently been having problems with my Achilles tendons, and just a few days ago, th backs of my knees, kind of on the outer side, became very sore. Apparently there is a tendon there too. I have success with warmth (baths, showers, or gentle exercise in a very warm climate), so that is always an option to try. It is really hard when one of your best mates is in pain too, hope thing improve for both of you.

I went for a 3 mile walk on Saturday night with my sweetie. Although, my left knee ached, it seemed strong enough to attempt the distance. So we walked to the donut shop, had a 45 minute rest and then walked home. The next day, the typical stiffness continued, but there was no additional pain or soreness in either knee. Normal lactic acid build-up from exercise was expected in both legs, but to my surprize, there was none. I will continue with short bike rides and more walking and will report any changes. FYI - I am not presently taking any medications or pain killers.

Hi there- I am brand me here and I have a knee problem. Right now my left knee is the size of a grapefruit and I am waiting to hear back from my rheum. It doesn't really hurt, its just so swollen I can't really walk right now-stairs would be out of the question. I'm on celebrex, but he's gonna thro me on steriods any day now, cause it won't go down :( I am so sorry you are going thru such a hard time. The situation with your dog must be very stressful and I'm gonna bet- that has a lot to do with your knee; not just the overdoing it, but the stress of it. I just went thru a stressful event and now I have a bummed out knee. I haven't had PA long, about a year or so, but I have found that stress makes things flare up. So my thoughts to you would be to relax a much as permissible, or possibly try meditation-something calming for you. I have found that can be very helpful, along with whatever drugs you have been given. Gonna go out on a limb here a little, but also, if you believe in any kind of higher power or God, ask them to lighten your stress load for you and for your dog. Sincerely- Lora

I’ve had bad knees for about 10 years and I’m only 48. I have done sinovisc, many many cortisone injections, and now humira. My PsA dx was only months ago. I’ve had MRIs showing lots of degenerative disease in both knees. My next step is possibly makoplasty, where they use robotic surgery to remove diseased portions of the cartilage and put in a small prosthesis attached to your knee. It’s better than waiting till you are so bad you need a knee replacement. I’m seeing a dr Tuesday. I’ll post the results of the visit. Also, to help me get through my work days, I wear sketchers shape ups. I’m a retail manager and am on my feet long hours. These shoes help cushion as I walk and change my posture so it takes pressure off my knees and back. Good luck all!

Lora said:

Hi there- I am brand me here and I have a knee problem. Right now my left knee is the size of a grapefruit and I am waiting to hear back from my rheum. It doesn’t really hurt, its just so swollen I can’t really walk right now-stairs would be out of the question. I’m on celebrex, but he’s gonna thro me on steriods any day now, cause it won’t go down :frowning: I am so sorry you are going thru such a hard time. The situation with your dog must be very stressful and I’m gonna bet- that has a lot to do with your knee; not just the overdoing it, but the stress of it. I just went thru a stressful event and now I have a bummed out knee. I haven’t had PA long, about a year or so, but I have found that stress makes things flare up. So my thoughts to you would be to relax a much as permissible, or possibly try meditation-something calming for you. I have found that can be very helpful, along with whatever drugs you have been given. Gonna go out on a limb here a little, but also, if you believe in any kind of higher power or God, ask them to lighten your stress load for you and for your dog. Sincerely- Lora

Hello, I am late to this convo too, but wanted to say that my knees have always been vulnerable, but I too have severe pain above my kneecaps and around the back also. This started last fall along with sore lower back. I seem to be dealing with cramping in the thighs and calfs too, and have noticed over the past week that I have a numb spot above my right knee and towards the outer side. Only the skin feels numb and when I apply pressure I can feel and also have soreness. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

Be careful with numb spots on your leg and back pain, it could be a disc herniation in your lower spine :( you might want to get that checked out.

Thanks Emma,

My Rheumy is fitting me in tomorrow.

Mind hurt some days but then not others. One time I kept thinking I had a bruise. I would check it but it there was nothing there. I now know it was probably the tendons/ligaments. Cause it was behind my knee…kind of on the side. Also I will wake up in the middle of the night and my knees will hurt-very strange considering they didn’t hurt the previous day or when I went to bed! Hang in there. :slight_smile:

Just finished two weeks of prednisone for my knees. It was great, but now that I'm off the prednisone, not so great. I'm hoping this is temporary, but I guess it might be another one of Uncle Arthur's permanent gifts. I hope not. Pain still feels like it's "around" my knees, not actually in the joints. It's crazy...walking doesn't cause pain at all. Getting up and down from a chair, doing stairs...all that hurts terribly. Don't see the rheumy til next month, and since she is 100 miles away, I'm hoping I get to see her even then. You never know with WV winters what travel may be like. Here's hoping I get to keep the appointment. I need to know what she says about it all. Thanks for all your responses! Keep me posted!

I recently had my left knee x-rayed to diagnose whether or not this pain is caused by Psoriatic Arthritis. My family doctor said the results came back: "No abnormalities visible in the left knee." What??? Huh? Does Psoriatic Arthritis not show up in a basic x-ray image? Can anyone give me some feedback? Tell me what to do next?

About 15 years ago I started getting pain in my knees that seemed to be in the tendons & ligaments. I hadn't been diagnosed with PsA at that stage. 10 years ago I had to have my left knee replaced as it was bone on bone. The right knee was fine at that time but with twelve months had deteriorated so quickly that again I had bone on bone and it had to be replaced. Inflammation in the synovial fluid in the tends had spread to the joint. I was diagnosed with PsA shortly after this and still get tendon soreness around the knees.

I guess it demonstrates how important it is to try to get something to reduce the inflammation before such severe damage occurs.

Not all bad news though as I have been on prednisone now for 3 months and managing to exercise more and more. Yesterday I completed a 15km cross country bike ride. I'm in my 66th year and my mates reckon they should catch PsA and have their knees replaced so they can come with me! What it does also demonstrate is that if we can find something to reduce the inflammation and be able to exercise more the body responds in a positive way.