What helps you with a walking regimen

I’m walking 20 minutes a day when possible but still struggling with joint pain, even when not flaring. What helps ease your pain during walking? Walking sticks? Orthotics? My DIP joints on my toes and my tendons/ligaments around ankles or heels are the issues. Thanks

Good for you! I wear orthotics and supportive shoes. A few days a week my walks are with dogs, so that serves as a distraction. I listen to music when walking by myself, and that can help too.

What about walking with a friend once or twice a week? And I've seen people using walking sticks. . . It really makes it a whole body workout!

It amazes me how all of us ..who meet here have so much in common. I just started walking a couple of days ago ..and the pain you are describing, is exactly the same. I paid quite a bit for special sneakers.. My main problem when I walk is my sciatic nerve pain. I try to work through the pain. I do stop a few times to let the muscles settle down. I keep going and by the time I'm finished with my walk the pain is gone. Does the walking stick help? When I do walk.. I am concerned about falling. I lose my balance quite often. I am making myself meet a new goal everyday. I figured as long as I feel pain.. I'm still alive.. Lol

I have a lot of damage in the mid-foot region (the foot surgeon was not impressed ;-). I can do almost anything for five minutes – walk, climb stairs, etc. On a really good day, with a cart, I can do the produce/meat/dairy (perimeter)run at the supermarket. But that’s it.

On my surgeon’s suggestion, I recently bought a pair of Skechers Shape Ups (the ones with the rockerbottom soles). They’re great! I think I may be able to double my range with these. (Ten minutes is still pretty pathetic, but an improvement.)

Seenie, you could take the perimeter and I'll do a couple of aisles. I have to say, though, my feet have really improved since taking Enbrel. I don't attempt long walks either--never really have enjoyed walking--it's always been painful for me. It used to be my mid back (thoracic spine and surrounding area) would cramp up while I walked. Come to find out I have an extremely weak back (like a 90-year old). A couple years ago, almost three now I guess, I did the MedX for my back and neck, which strengthened them to the low end of average strength for a person my age and size. I was very pleased because it helped my posture and I didn't have back pain when I walked.
I also had Shape Ups for a long time, but when they weren't available at the store I buy my shoes, I bought Skechers D'Lites. I like them, too, but maybe the Shape Ups would help my back more.
Piglani and Karen, I give you a pat on the back for walking despite the pain. I just can't do it when it makes my pain get worse instead of better. When my SI pain gets worse, I first lay on an ice pack and once that thaws I switch to the heating pad set on high.
Piglani, Idk if you have permanent joint damage? Are you on a biologic? I've noticed that my joint pain is almost completely gone since taking Enbrel (excluding my SI joint).

I wear orthotics and supportive shoes. I'm better in a straight line, for example, I managed a nice stroll on the beach yesterday (all wrapped up against the cold) but find shopping with all it's stop/starting and pivoting very difficult and I get really quite unsteady very quickly

For my beach walk yesterday I took my walking pole and it was so good I think I might get another one so I can, on good days, be a bit more adventurous. For shopping trips a regular walking cane. And yes, I agree with Stoney, company can make all the difference.

On the shoe subject, when I saw Seenie's post about Skechers Shape-Ups, I remembered seeing them advertised in the Sale of a local store. Called in there earlier and sure enough they are reduced to £20 in the Original Factory Shop outlet here in the UK. I have bought a pair to try. For me the most crucial thing to help with the mtp pain is having a thick and cushioned sole.

And finally, just keep walking even if you can only manage a few minutes. I go to hydrotherapy and find walking in the water is good on the days when my hips/knees/feet hurt too much for anything else.

Good shoes and orthotics are a godsend. I have always had better results with exercise routines when I have had an exercise partner, as well. Since I have been at home a lot more, I bought a little bicycle thing that cost about thirty dollars on amazon, which I use daily unless I have a really good excuse like pneumonia. :slight_smile:

Hi,Karen,

I have not yet used the walking sticks but saw somewhere that they can help balance the weight off of other joints. Gripping them may be an issue! And, I too bought the $100+ shoes at Fleet Feet only to find they aren't nearly as good as another pair I bought at an outlet. Both Asics. The difference is in the arch and heel support. Another reason I need to get orthotics I think.

Lorrie

Karen said:

It amazes me how all of us ..who meet here have so much in common. I just started walking a couple of days ago ..and the pain you are describing, is exactly the same. I paid quite a bit for special sneakers.. My main problem when I walk is my sciatic nerve pain. I try to work through the pain. I do stop a few times to let the muscles settle down. I keep going and by the time I'm finished with my walk the pain is gone. Does the walking stick help? When I do walk.. I am concerned about falling. I lose my balance quite often. I am making myself meet a new goal everyday. I figured as long as I feel pain.. I'm still alive.. Lol

Thanks, Grandma J,

I am on Remicade infusions every 6 wks. These have been a lifesaver (Enbrel worked for a while but then were ineffective). Yes, I cannot imagine trying to exercise without my biologic. For me it has made a big difference.

Lorrie

Grandma J said:

Seenie, you could take the perimeter and I'll do a couple of aisles. I have to say, though, my feet have really improved since taking Enbrel. I don't attempt long walks either--never really have enjoyed walking--it's always been painful for me. It used to be my mid back (thoracic spine and surrounding area) would cramp up while I walked. Come to find out I have an extremely weak back (like a 90-year old). A couple years ago, almost three now I guess, I did the MedX for my back and neck, which strengthened them to the low end of average strength for a person my age and size. I was very pleased because it helped my posture and I didn't have back pain when I walked.
I also had Shape Ups for a long time, but when they weren't available at the store I buy my shoes, I bought Skechers D'Lites. I like them, too, but maybe the Shape Ups would help my back more.
Piglani and Karen, I give you a pat on the back for walking despite the pain. I just can't do it when it makes my pain get worse instead of better. When my SI pain gets worse, I first lay on an ice pack and once that thaws I switch to the heating pad set on high.
Piglani, Idk if you have permanent joint damage? Are you on a biologic? I've noticed that my joint pain is almost completely gone since taking Enbrel (excluding my SI joint).

If you can really make it a habit you'll find yourself walking more without even thinking about it. I walk to and from work, about a mile each way, five days a week. I've done it for over thirty years, no excuses. It's just what I do. The only time I'll allow myself to take the car is if I have an appointment during the day or if it's pouring rain. No thought, no willpower, just get out the door and start going.

Like Stoney I have a dog who expects his evening walk. He is getting a bit old and rickety, but then again, so am I. We're a good pair.

Depending on where you live, can you walk to run errands? I'll walk down to the shop to pick up the Sunday papers, or go a few blocks to the post office to put bills in the mail or buy stamps. This summer I couldn't drive for about 12 weeks after shoulder surgery, and walked almost everywhere. Lots of miles, but I don't recommend the experience as a way to walk more!

Hurting? Yes, almost every step. I hurt on days I don't walk, too, maybe more than when I do. For those of us who live with constant hurt. learning to tune it out is an excellent skill to develop. So is not caring how we look. A couple of years ago I wasn't walking particularly well one morning, and found myself being followed by a state trooper! Thought he'd found himself a card-carrying drunk, I guess.

For entertainment, see how many species of birds you can see. Look for new leaves in the spring. Count the orange cars that go by. Enjoy your own company and your own thoughts for awhile. Take cookies for the dog at the end of the road. Find things to enjoy so it's not just one more chore.