Painful Feet!

Okay, I think I've put up with this long enough. Both of my feet hurt--but I can tolerate my right foot. My left foot is nearly killing me right now, and I've decided I finally need to take this up with my doctor. I had x-rays in March when they suddenly started hurting after I made mega trips up and down our basement stairs one day to store Christmas decorations. Boy, do I rue that day! My feet had been pain-free for a couple of years after my neuropathy was cured, and then I wrecked them!!!!

The pain is due to the rubbing together of bones where the cartilage is worn away. It hurts and burns, and makes my foot nearly unable to bear weight, but it even hurts when I'm not in my feet. I've taken a Tylenol pm, ibuprofen and applied voltaren gel about an hour ago--that's what I do every night now. But, it doesn't help much. I could use some advice--Seenie? Rachael? Anyone else with bad feet? The pain isn't on the bottoms, but it's on the tops in/around the bones from the tops of my feet down to my toes. Help! :-(

I'd try either a warm water soak or ice, Grandma J, whichever you feel may be the most soothing. Epsom salts in the warm water soak if you have any. Try elevating them as well, that helps me sometimes. Let us know how you get on.

When you speak with your doc I wonder if he might suggest a steroid shot in the foot? Do you have orthotics? They make a world of difference for me.

Oh GrandmaJ, I feel for you but proud that your ready to take those feet on! Yes, how can they hurt when even laying down I asked that so many times? For me I have visable tendon lines at times on the tops my feet but most of my issues are in the joints where my toes connect. Definitely get in and see what help they can offer. I had marked improvement with my last cortisone shots, have the burning from neuropathy down by half with Gabapentin ( still building dosage up) but I still ice every night. I find it helps with swelling tons and releives pain a bit no matter what. I got the idea to sleep with ice packs from you, lol, have you tried them lately? I remember you used them when you had neuropathy but they really calm down tendons too. Anyway long post but I know youā€™re a strong person so tears from pain donā€™t come easy so get in there and fight! Remeber you really have nothing to loose but a win would be great!

I had a rheumy appointment on Monday and for the first time he really prodded my left foot, and, unusually I yelped with pain. He says this shows my PsA is not fully under control. Usually he's ahead of the game but occasionally it seems he does have to play catch up - I was pretty sure of this already. What can they do though, other than steroid shots (which might at least provide you with short term relief) when we're on a bio that mostly does the job? However I do agree that with this much pain you could do with some investigation in case there's more damage.

I usually wear sneakers but I have a pair of heavy duty but very comfortable walking boots. The boots are going on much more often these days, they really do prevent pain on walking. I've also been going barefoot at home to cool down the psoriasis on my feet & am surprised at how painful that is ... so it's back to the crocs indoors, they are surprisingly supportive. And yes, I think my painful area is roughly where yours is ... across the front of the foot by the toes.

Thanks you guys! I got a response from my rheumy today--they ordered an MRI and suggested possibly afterwards a prednisone burst.....I responded that I do not want to take oral prednisone and I was wondering if I could get steroid shots into my foot instead. I guess he'll decide after he sees the MRI results....but, this makes me feel a LOT better, just knowing we're going to look further into the cause of the pain. The xrays in March showed places where cartilage was actually worn completely off between some of the bones--the physician who looked at them said surgery is an option but it can cause more harm than good and he didn't advise it. I sort of knew that already from things people on here have told me. My worst pain is on top of my foot--sort of across the whole top about an inch and a half from my toes. But it radiates out, so the whole top and even my toes burn. That part of the pain feels sort of like neuropathy. I'm figuring out that it does get worse if I'm at home more and not wearing my supportive shoes. I need to get a couple more pairs of them--maybe some supportive slippers for at home. Not sure if there's anything like that, but I need more than the one pair of supportive shoes because they'd probably get gross if I wore them all the time!

Thanks for all the suggestions--I do use ice packs on them and elevate them, too, and it helps a little.

Sybil, I don't think my foot pain is PsA--other than it's damage from having PsA and not treating it for so many years....when I had the bad neuropathy for a couple years before I took Nortriptyline for it, that was probably a big mistake on my part. I was just so afraid of taking meds. So, I have only myself to blame for that. But, hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm glad I found LWPsA and got good advice about so many things!

I have other good news, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My white blood cells are in the normal range and I can stay on Enbrel!

For me, itā€™s all about the shoes. I will do Epsom soaks too, but I have been given a worthy excuse to shoe shop and Iā€™m going to use it! Seriously though, Iā€™d rather spend more money on a sound pair of leather shoes with a good foot bed since they last longer and will wear better over time. Make sure to not let your shoes get worn out. You may think theyā€™re more comfortable, but in reality they just make you feel worse. I use a pair of clogs for slippers. Theyā€™re just regular shoes, but very comfortable and I only wear them indoors.

Grandma J said:

Thanks you guys! I got a response from my rheumy todayā€“they ordered an MRI and suggested possibly afterwards a prednisone burstā€¦I responded that I do not want to take oral prednisone and I was wondering if I could get steroid shots into my foot instead. I guess heā€™ll decide after he sees the MRI resultsā€¦but, this makes me feel a LOT better, just knowing weā€™re going to look further into the cause of the pain. The xrays in March showed places where cartilage was actually worn completely off between some of the bonesā€“the physician who looked at them said surgery is an option but it can cause more harm than good and he didnā€™t advise it. I sort of knew that already from things people on here have told me. My worst pain is on top of my footā€“sort of across the whole top about an inch and a half from my toes. But it radiates out, so the whole top and even my toes burn. That part of the pain feels sort of like neuropathy. Iā€™m figuring out that it does get worse if Iā€™m at home more and not wearing my supportive shoes. I need to get a couple more pairs of themā€“maybe some supportive slippers for at home. Not sure if thereā€™s anything like that, but I need more than the one pair of supportive shoes because theyā€™d probably get gross if I wore them all the time!

Thanks for all the suggestionsā€“I do use ice packs on them and elevate them, too, and it helps a little.

Sybil, I donā€™t think my foot pain is PsAā€“other than itā€™s damage from having PsA and not treating it for so many yearsā€¦when I had the bad neuropathy for a couple years before I took Nortriptyline for it, that was probably a big mistake on my part. I was just so afraid of taking meds. So, I have only myself to blame for that. But, hindsight is always 20/20 and Iā€™m glad I found LWPsA and got good advice about so many things!

I have other good news, too!!! My white blood cells are in the normal range and I can stay on Enbrel!

Hey Grandma J! Well done on getting an MRI sorted out! And excellent news about the pesky white blood cells.

This is how I think about the feet, both mine & yours though yours sound worse: I have damage too. If it gets worse, then something has made it worse. Perhaps joints that aren't cushioned by cartilage will deteriorate over time simply because of the bashing feet take. But I think it likely that PsA continues to nibble at them, even if just a little bit.

I consider Humira to be working extremely well for me (on the joints anyway, we won't mention skin). But even so there is some disease activity. My sense is that it kind of flickers on and off.

Are you Croc Averse? If you can stand the things they are worth a try as indoor shoes.

Grandma J said:

Thanks you guys! I got a response from my rheumy today--they ordered an MRI and suggested possibly afterwards a prednisone burst.....I responded that I do not want to take oral prednisone and I was wondering if I could get steroid shots into my foot instead. I guess he'll decide after he sees the MRI results....but, this makes me feel a LOT better, just knowing we're going to look further into the cause of the pain. The xrays in March showed places where cartilage was actually worn completely off between some of the bones--the physician who looked at them said surgery is an option but it can cause more harm than good and he didn't advise it. I sort of knew that already from things people on here have told me. My worst pain is on top of my foot--sort of across the whole top about an inch and a half from my toes. But it radiates out, so the whole top and even my toes burn. That part of the pain feels sort of like neuropathy. I'm figuring out that it does get worse if I'm at home more and not wearing my supportive shoes. I need to get a couple more pairs of them--maybe some supportive slippers for at home. Not sure if there's anything like that, but I need more than the one pair of supportive shoes because they'd probably get gross if I wore them all the time!

Thanks for all the suggestions--I do use ice packs on them and elevate them, too, and it helps a little.

Sybil, I don't think my foot pain is PsA--other than it's damage from having PsA and not treating it for so many years....when I had the bad neuropathy for a couple years before I took Nortriptyline for it, that was probably a big mistake on my part. I was just so afraid of taking meds. So, I have only myself to blame for that. But, hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm glad I found LWPsA and got good advice about so many things!

I have other good news, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My white blood cells are in the normal range and I can stay on Enbrel!

They do have a lined Croc that would be good used as a slipper. The only thing is that if you have problems with falling, you want to be careful. I fell more when I tried this. Sometimes, I don't pick up my toes enough off the floor, and the Crocs are super grippy on the The shoes would graze the floor, catch and down I'd go. *SPLAT*

Congradulations GrandmaJ!! Yes, yes i get your resevations on predisone but if you do need releif at sometime tuck them in the cabinet anyway. I keep a taper on hand because you never feel like going to get them when you feel bad enough to touch those things.
Well, Iā€™m sold on trying orthos soon, no one on my health team has even mentioned them. Just asked if I had sturdy shoes which I do except at home and times I do wear flip flops with thick straps and 2 in bottoms because the thin ones are bad and yes bare foot can hurt but no one can take those away over my dead body, lol. The releif from anything touching my toes is irreplaceable especially when my neuropathy is bad. I do spend well over $200 on my steeltoed work boots and have bad a pair that reduce my back pain immensely and provide plenty of toes room with no slipping around. I was so disappointed last time to find they are now special order so they are getting harder to get, sad face here. At the risk of sounding stupid what are crocks? Are they the same as Birkenstock? My toes never fit the natural formations those come with. I would love to find a better zero toe touch shoe that isnā€™t a thin flat.

Hi Rachael/GrandmaJ, I love my FitFlops ... some US stores stock them ... they are great (the best IMHO) for underfoot cushioning. Their ballerinas and sneakers are way too tight across my toes but check out their sandals, slippers, clogs/mules ... not sure about their boots. The biomechanical podiatrist also told me recently about Vionics as they come with an orthotic footbed, and also do standard orthotic insoles for your own footwear, ... I only saw one pair in the summer sale and they weren't for me. She also told me to size up if I wanted Birkenstocks and it then so happened that my friend gave me four unworn pairs in a size up (for free ...!). I had to break them in (or maybe it was breaking my feet in to Birkenstocks) but I do find them good for pain relief but with this psoriasis on my feet for the last year I can't wear any open shoe at the moment.

There are lots of other makes that we've talked about here before - Skechers, MBT's .....

They are spelled Crocs (for googling purposes!)

Rachael said:

At the risk of sounding stupid what are crocks? Are they the same as Birkenstock? My toes never fit the natural formations those come with. I would love to find a better zero toe touch shoe that isn't a thin flat.

Hey, thanks everybody for the advice about shoes. I really like the New Balance special shoes I bought when my feet got painful. My feet actually feel pretty good, but not perfect when I'm wearing them--but I usually only wear them to work. They're very supportive and the tongue is cushy so although they're firm, they're also soft on top, which really feels good on the tops of my feet. But, unfortunately, my feet start hurting within an hour of taking them off at the end of the day! And, they actually start hurting as I'm sitting in a comfy chair with my legs slightly elevated.

I dread shopping, but I guess I'll need to check out some of the shoes like Crocs, etc., you've suggested. The store I bought my NB shoes sells the best quality, high end shoes. I'll go there and look for something that's sturdy but comfortable. I can't wear clogs because they make my pain worse. I also have some Skechers D'Lites, which are so-so. My doctor told me they're OK but not quite as sturdy as I needed.

I recommend Dansko shoes.I used to wear the leather clogs, but theyā€™re to heavy and hard now. However, Dansko has a lace up, canvas, rubber sole that looks similar to the clogs but wears much better. I can even add an insole if needed. For dress, I have several pair of Clarks that are a low heeled Mary Jane sort of style, and several pair of Aerosoles flats. BORN, Soft spots and Sofft also have lovely foot beds. a

Grandma J said:

Hey, thanks everybody for the advice about shoes. I really like the New Balance special shoes I bought when my feet got painful. My feet actually feel pretty good, but not perfect when Iā€™m wearing themā€“but I usually only wear them to work. Theyā€™re very supportive and the tongue is cushy so although theyā€™re firm, theyā€™re also soft on top, which really feels good on the tops of my feet. But, unfortunately, my feet start hurting within an hour of taking them off at the end of the day! And, they actually start hurting as Iā€™m sitting in a comfy chair with my legs slightly elevated.

I dread shopping, but I guess Iā€™ll need to check out some of the shoes like Crocs, etc., youā€™ve suggested. The store I bought my NB shoes sells the best quality, high end shoes. Iā€™ll go there and look for something thatā€™s sturdy but comfortable. I canā€™t wear clogs because they make my pain worse. I also have some Skechers Dā€™Lites, which are so-so. My doctor told me theyā€™re OK but not quite as sturdy as I needed.

Lately I have noticed the tendons on top left arch pulling my foot upwards. I know ice works well for inflammation what works for this? Is this what you think you have going on GrandmaJ? This is causing pain and they are visable looking like a fan or bird wing bones. I know they are tendons because they were prevalent when I last saw my rheumy but I did not ask how to better tackle them because I was distracted. Stretching isnā€™t helping much.

Hi Rachael,

I've always thought those were tendons that hurt, too--but mine aren't pulling up like yours are. I would ask your doctor about that if I were you. My feet also look a lot skinnier, though, since Enbrel took the inflammation down. Mine hurt from the top of my arch down to my toes. I think at the top of my arch is where it's bone on bone. I walk flat-footed, plopping my whole foot down rather than bending my foot at all. That saves me from some of the pain! :-) My hard shoes are stiff-soled, but thick and cushy on the inside--that's why they're so comfortable.

Hi GrandmaJ!
I did ask last time she did say they were tendons but started to do my toe injections, end of conversation my mind is on distracting from pain. Either way humira should help. I walk similar not bending toes if I do I get shooting pain in balls up and through my arch. What does your bone pain feel like? I imagine after a year or so constant swelling that some damage maybe done but figure it doesnā€™t matter much because I canā€™t change even if I find out. Is that correct thinking? I just hope you are finding some comfort, is it always there or come and go?

This is my old discussion about painful feetā€¦feet that have gotten more painful but I think Iā€™m so used to it that Iā€™ve given in to the fact that thereā€™s not much I can doā€¦I have noticed that my feet hurt more when I lift anything heavyā€“as in more than 10 pounds. This leads me to think that some of my foot/ankle pain and weakness is coming from pressure on nerves in my back.

My back went out 2-1/2 years ago, about 6 months before my feet ā€œwent outā€ and I canā€™t lift anything over 25 lbs. anymore because of it.

Anyway, I finally messaged my rheumy about my feetā€“itā€™s been almost 6 months since my last visit with him and I didnā€™t bother to talk about my feet then because I thought it was pointless. But, I had to message him because the pain flares and gets almost unbearable for several days at a time. He wanted me to take prednisone, but I have my reservations about that. So, he told me to try turmeric! That was a shockerā€“a rheumy suggesting turmeric? Go figure, I found out turmeric is sort of an anticoagulant, so I had to message my cardiologist, who said absolutely no turmeric because Iā€™m already on an anticoagulant.

So, now Iā€™m back at square one, trying to figure out how to make my feet feel better!

I think Iā€™ll just try exercising themā€¦as much as I donā€™t think any amount of exercise can grow back the destroyed cartilage and cushion my joints so the bones donā€™t rub together, I do think exercise can strengthen the muscles and ligaments surrounding those joints and hopefully make them feel betterā€¦whatā€™s there to lose?

OUCH OWWW EEEEEE UGH OUCH I know exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately.
You know, my physiotherapist has me doing foot flexibility and strength exercises in the pool. (I havenā€™t been for weeks because of my nose bo-bo and then travel, but Iā€™ll be back in the wet next week.) I think it does help. Another idea is to ask for Voltaren diclofenac gel. Itā€™s on prescription in the US, but we can get it OTC here in the Great White North. When my feet get really painful, I get some relief with it. Unlike knees and hips, the skin on the feet is conveniently close to the inside where the pain is, so the voltaren gel works pretty well there compared with more ā€œinsulatedā€ sites like the hip.
Off to bed. I think Iā€™ll slather on the gel tonight. Itā€™s been a sore feet kinda day.

1 Like

Poor you Grandma J. I get top of foot pain - thatā€™s only where my foot pain is. Feels like my tendons and ligaments are being given a constant chinese burn sometimes. And I just live in crocs. Iā€™ve a bright orange pair for when I need cheering up, a black pair, a blue pair and a fab pair of insulated boots. Thinking of branching out into more colours too for different types of cheering up issues! Iā€™ve an orange t-shirt the same colour as the orange crocs and I get a kick of wearing both together despite the sometimes rather surprised looks I get. I wear the black and blue ones for work and meetings and I couldnā€™t give a hoot that theyā€™re not ā€˜dressā€™ shoes.

Crocs for me are wide enough and give enough stable foot bed cushioning although I have learnt to pick up my feet more to stop tripping. I love theyā€™re just slip ons too (other than the boots). I simply wear them all the time, indoors and out, walking the dog in the woods, work, supermarket shopping. Alan calls them my ā€˜carpet slippersā€™ which usually earns him a cuff around the ear!

1 Like