Today my employer says they can no longer use me with my restrictions

34 years, and the last three have been mind over matter.

It was sad to leave today and be in a position of applying for disability at my company.

I guess it's never easy to realize you are disabled, but I hate to find out from someone else.

I had a good career and friends, but I don't know how to be now.

It was a surprise.

It is going to have to sink in I guess. I am sure you guys know what it's like.

:-( Sorry.

Thanks!

Oh Dot … what can I say? This is awful for you. You say that you are “applying for disability at my company”. Does this mean that you will, at the very least, have some income?

Thirty-four years is a long time, and that makes it all the harder to say good bye to your friends and colleagues.

I’m thinking of you and wishing you all the best in this difficult transition.

After being there so long I should be able to get benefits for a long time. I have been eligible under their guidelines for years but they were allowing me to work until now.

I really shouldn't complain, it's just that a lot is running through my mind.

I had this job before I had a husband or my grown children, it has been a long time.

It's emotional.

Thanks for caring.

Gosh, that just sounds so sad. I always worry what a big life changer it'll be to retire. But, to retire before you're at retirement age--or before you at least want to retire--is sad.

I sort of could never understand why people look forward to retirement. But, maybe when you're not feeling well and you're having to struggle through the days, maybe you'll be relieved having a different lifestyle with more time to stop "and smell the roses"!

I think you seem like a person who'll find other important tasks to occupy your days and it'll be less pressure and better for your health! :-)

I can't imagine how this must feel. So sorry.

It's good you are eligible for company benefits, and don't have to try to apply for federal disability. That's the silver lining. Losing a job you've had for that long is like a death in the family, though, even if you do know in your heart of hearts that it was getting to be too much. All the best to you going forward.

It is hard leaving a job you have made yours for so long. I was able to switch jobs for now but my friend has had to go completely off work. She says she try’s to reframe it as time to do things like volunteer or join a club/ group that she could never do when working. Make sure you get out when you can and that you create or maintain a support network. Hugs

Thank you for all your kind words . I know it's best and there is probably no job that could deal with how I am now, if not the one I was so good at. So, just a new chapter. I do need the time to take care of myself, and that should make me happier.

It is always a big deal going through the part of getting our company disability, and even though I know I should have no trouble, everyone I have talked to so far sounds like a lawyer and I won't believe it till I have that approved. At the most, I will get a year of benefits.

I'm pretty used to getting a paycheck. Fear of the unknown.

Many of you have had and will have this problem. I really didn't think it would hurt this much. I'm usually pretty tough.