Tips for Conquering Stress With Psoriatic Arthritis

I'm always looking for ways to feel better physically and emotionally. I know there have been discussions on this forum about how stress affects PsA but I thought it was worth posting this in the Emotional Support Section as a reminder and for searches. I hope some of you find it helpful. I know I forget to do some of these things and need a reminder.

I'm going to print this list and post it next to my computer.

Also, my rheumy and patients have told me that Tai Chi is great and I'm going to try it.

Here are some of the headings in the article:

Prioritize to Reduce Stress

Get Out, Be Social, Reduce Stress

Your Attitude About Psoriatic Arthritis

Exercise

Reposting Link

http://arthritis.webmd.com/psoriatic-arthritis/stress-relief

Thanks for sharing this Frances

Yoga, meditation, mindful practice, tai chi are all great ideas. They concentrate the mind on the task at hand. If you can keep monkey brain at bay--for even five minutes--then you will have reached a stress-free state (even if for only those five minutes). There are COUNTLESS books out there to help but the goal of each is the same. Stop thinking (easier said than done).

My workplace is beginning to do more for mindfulness and stress reduction and there's now a weekly meditation practice that meets once a week. I wish it met more frequently myself.

Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is a wonderful therapeutic program and if you can find a local practitioner and take a MBSR course of study (usually 8 weeks) privately or through your workplace, I would HIGHLY encourage you to do so for what it teaches you about stress, relaxation and meditative practice.

Thanks for the tips. I've been saying for so long I need to go to a meditation class and haven't done it. I will look for an MBSR course - never heard of it. Thanks !

janeatiu said:

Yoga, meditation, mindful practice, tai chi are all great ideas. They concentrate the mind on the task at hand. If you can keep monkey brain at bay--for even five minutes--then you will have reached a stress-free state (even if for only those five minutes). There are COUNTLESS books out there to help but the goal of each is the same. Stop thinking (easier said than done).

My workplace is beginning to do more for mindfulness and stress reduction and there's now a weekly meditation practice that meets once a week. I wish it met more frequently myself.

Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is a wonderful therapeutic program and if you can find a local practitioner and take a MBSR course of study (usually 8 weeks) privately or through your workplace, I would HIGHLY encourage you to do so for what it teaches you about stress, relaxation and meditative practice.

MBSR from Wikipedia

it's a great practice to learn--a life-long one. MBSR is incredibly accessible (based on Jon Kabbat-Zinn's work and although rooted in Buddhist philosophy is a secular (non-religious) program that can be easily reinterpreted through whatever religious/spiritual framework you personally favor (or, if you're like me, do not favor). Good luck!

Frances said:

Thanks for the tips. I've been saying for so long I need to go to a meditation class and haven't done it. I will look for an MBSR course - never heard of it. Thanks !