Complimentary therapies taken literally

It's been more than a year now since PSA hit. I am still on a DMARD - Sulphasalazine- but nothing else except herbal and complimentary medicine. I also engage in yoga. acupuncture, diet modifications, osteopaths, etc. The good news is my mobility is coming back (primarily in my legs/knees and one shoulder) and the pain is subsiding. Sleep and stress reduction seems to also make a difference so I try to get lots of sleep and reduce stress (always a challenge) . Walking is still slow, but I biked about 15 km the other day. I am hopeful but it is hard work. Tonight I start a mindfulness-based stress reduction course. I am doing exercises from physio daily. I am taking nothing for granted - including the fact that I have health benefits and an income that allows me to try different remedies. The learning curve is huge and encompasses a lot of time and energy. I fully believe that the path is somewhat individual but that by supporting each others' efforts and demonstrating compassion we are making a difference.

That is great news. I am on sulfazine, diclofenac and doxycycline. If I don't sleep the pain and fatigue flares. If you don't mind please share what herbals you use. You can private message me. I take trazadone for sleep. i wish I could sleep on my own. The doxycycline is because I had a known intestinal infection. One thing I noticed was that everytime I took doxycycline the pain would go away. I did not tell the rheum this until after he rx doxycyline. My treatment is working. All markers and labs improving. The cold weather hurts me sometimes.

I think that's great! It's nice to hear about other therapies. I really believe every little bit helps. You must have a really busy schedule. I also have trouble sleeping although it's getting a little better.

Mom5....The extreme cold it taking a toll on my hands lately, that's what happens when it's -30 or -40 C I guess.

I'm in full agreement with the natural path. I came off biologics 100% on Nov 03, 2013. I've been using nothing but a Turmeric Tea Recipe that has Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, and black pepper, along with natural bovin collagen.

I was doing so well until I got in a rush and bought non-organic heavy whipping cream that I add to my tea. I've had a major setback today, as I've had swelling in all joints and unbearable pain.

As my wife and I investigated, we found the non organic whipping cream from Kroger contained Carrageenan (very inflammatory natural food additive). Sometimes even organic products contain this seaweed additive as a thickener.

I caution any PSA-er to stay away from this additive.

I am not familiar with this additive but will watch for it. I find almost all additives are not helpful.

Terrco said:

I'm in full agreement with the natural path. I came off biologics 100% on Nov 03, 2013. I've been using nothing but a Turmeric Tea Recipe that has Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, and black pepper, along with natural bovin collagen.

I was doing so well until I got in a rush and bought non-organic heavy whipping cream that I add to my tea. I've had a major setback today, as I've had swelling in all joints and unbearable pain.

As my wife and I investigated, we found the non organic whipping cream from Kroger contained Carrageenan (very inflammatory natural food additive). Sometimes even organic products contain this seaweed additive as a thickener.

I caution any PSA-er to stay away from this additive.

I heard an excellent documentary on CBC radio (Canadian public broadcasting) recently. It alluded to the fact that recent scicne is demonstrating a link between bacteria and autoimmune infections. My suspicion is that the Doxy is working on some bacteria in your system and thus helping. Taking Doxy for extended periods however is also hard on the good bacteria in your system that are important as well. I wonder if acidophyllis (the stuff in good yogurt although even more is required when your on doxy) would assist as well. I can eat dairy so it doesn't work for me, but might be helpful for you. good luck

mom5 said:

That is great news. I am on sulfazine, diclofenac and doxycycline. If I don't sleep the pain and fatigue flares. If you don't mind please share what herbals you use. You can private message me. I take trazadone for sleep. i wish I could sleep on my own. The doxycycline is because I had a known intestinal infection. One thing I noticed was that everytime I took doxycycline the pain would go away. I did not tell the rheum this until after he rx doxycyline. My treatment is working. All markers and labs improving. The cold weather hurts me sometimes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

Sugar is also very inflammatory. I stay away from it.