New to site, using complimentary medicine and trying to understand PsA

Hello:

I was happy to find this website as I'm new to the disease and trying hard to understand it. Finding this site has been like a breath of fresh air. I have been living with PsA since Dec 23, 2012 - not diagnosed until 5 months later. Currently I'm taking sulphasalazine and getting a bit more mobility - although the pain and inflammation is in different parts of my body, the worst is my legs and it's left me basically disabled - I taught in a wheelchair this spring. I have been able to counteract some of the side effects of SSZ with Wobenzym N - an all natural product available in good health food stores. I used to have a very upset stomach but it helps with that and supposedly the inflammation. I've also been using tinctures from a Chinese naturalpath which I'd be willing to share.I have MMX in my purse but can't quite force myself to use it. I tried celebrix -- I know have blood in my urine and have stopped using it completely.

I am interested in using complimentary medicine as I don't believe all of the solutions exist in either western medicine or alternatives exclusively. I am searching and researching as much as I can and I welcome alternatives. I'm currently fasting and hoping to eliminate gluten. I have had some positive results in eliminating milk.

I've written some of my story in a personal blog at http://cindoug.blogspot.ca/

My mother had bad psoriasis and an autoimmune condition but it went into remission and she's been okay since. What are the odds of this going into remission? For how long? I'm 52 and not ready to be compared to everyone's grandmother. I welcome your feedback.

p.s I posted part of this in a blog as I didn't realize how the discussion groups work.

Hi, It is so nice to get to know a little about you. However I am sorry you need to be here. But there are some awesome people here who I am sure you will meet. When I was first diagnosed I felt so alone. Nobody seemed to get it. I had arthritis so what was the big deal, a lot of people lived with arthritis. Which made me feel worse,as if I was being a baby. Coming here made me understand that others were suffering just like me. I was not over reacting. I learned from others "tips" to lessen my pain & ways to help me avoid flares. I currently get infusions of remicade. When I first started I was terrified of the medications. Listening to others here that take various medications I became brave enough to give medications a try. I learned it was not just about easing the pain but getting the disease under control that is very important. I changed my life style. I no longer try to carry heavy bags of groceries all at once in the house. I only carry the light ones & allow my teenagers to get the heavier ones. It was hard because I was very independent. But I wanted to remain strong & mobile so I swallowed my pride. Give yourself time to learn what works for you & what doesn't. This disease requires some changes in your lifestyle. It's not just about the medications & diets. I applied for a handicap parking sticker but only use it when I am not feeling as strong. I also have a cane I keep in my car. It is there when I need it & don't have to push myself. Feel free to ask others here for suggestions. Everyone here is very eager to help others. Also be patient with yourself. I know it is hard to do especially when you are in pain. Sometimes it takes awhile to get your PsA under control. Keep us posted on your progress. So glad you have figured out how to work the discussion groups :)

Welcome to the group! I hope you are able to get a lot out of being here.

Isn't teaching in a chair a kick? One semester was enough for me. I'd lick frog slime if I thought it would make a difference so anything is on the table. Here is the thing just about every "alternative" medicine has a "Traditional Medicine" cousin in the world of pharmacology. The research will drive you nuts. The lack of quality control in the world is scary. I prefer to know exactly what is going into my body. The herbalist's and their "tinctures" are the worst. They sicken and kill more people every year than you want to know: http://whatstheharm.net/herbalremedies.html

Frankly there isn't a more powerful Natural remedy than the Biologic Drugs. Granted the Human DNA that is the basis of them may be grown in Hamster uteruses (or other) but the biologicals use the bodies natural regulators to regulate inflammation. of course there is more to it than just TNF and the new generation biologicals address some of those areas.

There is sadly a need to use a DMARD with some of the biologicals because they have either synthesised the proteins (humira) or modified other proteins to be humanized (remicade) and the body forms antibodies in response. Still better than the outing of Airborne and GNG Pharmaceutical Services and their study (I am well acquainted with one of the expert witness in that trial) Their clinical study was conducted by a College Dropout and his buddy (the entire GNG staff) presumably in his mothers basement. Funny thing the stuff is still on the shelves

Anyway here is a great suggestion - seriously: The Feldenkrais Method: www.feldenkrais.com
developed by an Israeli physicist who basically fixed his own knee injury. It uses very slow and small movements, and the goal is to retrain the nervous system to learn how to move more efficiently and with less pain. Anyone can use and benefit from this form of PT no matter their pain levels or mobility. Its very similar to the "Patterning" we used with the multiple needs granddaughter we are blessed to be raising when she was young. It overcame much of he mobility issues from spasticity and CP. There is an american version: Alexander Technique: www.alexandertechnique.com
which relies on the study of body mechanics to move in the most effective manner and release muscular tension.

I'm glad you are having some success with sulfazine and hope will continue to gain relief as they work out your Regime. Always remember though, that symptoms and disease are two separate things. One is not indicative of the other.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've chosen complimentary medicine because my mother also has bad arthritis and was on heavy doses of predisone (60 mg per day). The Chinese dr. got her off of them and completely into alternative meds and she's been in remission for 15 years. I"m still trying to figure out the meds. and confirm a few things. I'm worried about the side effects of MMX as I've learned there are MANY.
I've taken classes in Feldenkrais and Alexander method in the past. Fortunately I've also been able to do some yoga and all of this helps.

I"m not sure exactly what you mean by your last sentence - "Always remember though, that symptoms and disease are two separate things. One is not indicative of the other." Can you explain more about this?

tntlamb said:

Isn't teaching in a chair a kick? One semester was enough for me. I'd lick frog slime if I thought it would make a difference so anything is on the table. Here is the thing just about every "alternative" medicine has a "Traditional Medicine" cousin in the world of pharmacology. The research will drive you nuts. The lack of quality control in the world is scary. I prefer to know exactly what is going into my body. The herbalist's and their "tinctures" are the worst. They sicken and kill more people every year than you want to know: http://whatstheharm.net/herbalremedies.html

Frankly there isn't a more powerful Natural remedy than the Biologic Drugs. Granted the Human DNA that is the basis of them may be grown in Hamster uteruses (or other) but the biologicals use the bodies natural regulators to regulate inflammation. of course there is more to it than just TNF and the new generation biologicals address some of those areas.

There is sadly a need to use a DMARD with some of the biologicals because they have either synthesised the proteins (humira) or modified other proteins to be humanized (remicade) and the body forms antibodies in response. Still better than the outing of Airborne and GNG Pharmaceutical Services and their study (I am well acquainted with one of the expert witness in that trial) Their clinical study was conducted by a College Dropout and his buddy (the entire GNG staff) presumably in his mothers basement. Funny thing the stuff is still on the shelves

Anyway here is a great suggestion - seriously: The Feldenkrais Method: www.feldenkrais.com
developed by an Israeli physicist who basically fixed his own knee injury. It uses very slow and small movements, and the goal is to retrain the nervous system to learn how to move more efficiently and with less pain. Anyone can use and benefit from this form of PT no matter their pain levels or mobility. Its very similar to the "Patterning" we used with the multiple needs granddaughter we are blessed to be raising when she was young. It overcame much of he mobility issues from spasticity and CP. There is an american version: Alexander Technique: www.alexandertechnique.com
which relies on the study of body mechanics to move in the most effective manner and release muscular tension.

I'm glad you are having some success with sulfazine and hope will continue to gain relief as they work out your Regime. Always remember though, that symptoms and disease are two separate things. One is not indicative of the other.

HI THanks for the reply. I'm actually in Canada (I wasn't sure about how legitimate the web site was so I lied:) to protect myself I"m wondering about Remicade - I'd never heard of it before this website. My rheum wants me to take SSZ and MMX. I"m learning to cope although it's hard on an extremely high achieving, extravert - shattering at times.

Look forward to hearing more.

Cindy

Liz said:

Hi, It is so nice to get to know a little about you. However I am sorry you need to be here. But there are some awesome people here who I am sure you will meet. When I was first diagnosed I felt so alone. Nobody seemed to get it. I had arthritis so what was the big deal, a lot of people lived with arthritis. Which made me feel worse,as if I was being a baby. Coming here made me understand that others were suffering just like me. I was not over reacting. I learned from others "tips" to lessen my pain & ways to help me avoid flares. I currently get infusions of remicade. When I first started I was terrified of the medications. Listening to others here that take various medications I became brave enough to give medications a try. I learned it was not just about easing the pain but getting the disease under control that is very important. I changed my life style. I no longer try to carry heavy bags of groceries all at once in the house. I only carry the light ones & allow my teenagers to get the heavier ones. It was hard because I was very independent. But I wanted to remain strong & mobile so I swallowed my pride. Give yourself time to learn what works for you & what doesn't. This disease requires some changes in your lifestyle. It's not just about the medications & diets. I applied for a handicap parking sticker but only use it when I am not feeling as strong. I also have a cane I keep in my car. It is there when I need it & don't have to push myself. Feel free to ask others here for suggestions. Everyone here is very eager to help others. Also be patient with yourself. I know it is hard to do especially when you are in pain. Sometimes it takes awhile to get your PsA under control. Keep us posted on your progress. So glad you have figured out how to work the discussion groups :)

MTX is a DMARD not a biological there can be many others, I have avoided MTX most of the time but am firmly stuck with it now... Despite what you might read on the internet most folks do really well with it and get a fair amount of relief. There IS a reason it is the most commonly prescribed med for this stuff.

Predi is poison in anything but a very short term application. Your mom did well to get off of it. Few docs use it long term anymore. 60 mg/day would CAUSE more problems than help anything.

Some folks have severe symptoms and very little disease, and others have few symptoms and lots of disease. Depends on where the inflammation is/was how much damage and about 900 other factors. Sometimes the damage doesn't show up until its to late and a joint is damaged beyond repair.

Seenie was told she didn't have much disease until was too late that her pain was something else that was until she got another opinion. ...... I think she is out of joints to replace.

We have multiple post of folks talking about I was taking XYX and it was doing nothing until they quit, only to find it was doing plenty. There are others who have learned their lesson with exercise. Pain simply is NOT a good measure. Its too subjective. I jusdt had a change in meds (and another lecture from my doc - long story) I told her everything was doing great. She informed me I couldn't feel what she was feeling and I wasn't doing great.

In my case I had a pretty severe go round in my forties, I was thrilled to go into remission when I started running again and went Lo-Carb. I was less thrilled 10 years later when I had cold that wouldn't go away and went into the ER one night because I was having trouble breathing. I sorta came to a day or two later in the ICU surrounded by my kids (I have 9) and those Damn Harp Players (we have a Chalice of Repose project here that help folks with their bridge journey playing harp music) It was reported that i screamed to get those folks the H out of there and bring me some scotch. It was one of those times when predi made a difference. In any event the musicians left and didn't get my scotch. Apparently although my back had quit hurting our friend PsA had found my heart (not uncommon BTW) Thanks to Enbrel I was taken off the transplant list a few years back.......

In the next few years I had 3 Knee surgeries and 2 should surgeries. (I have replacements coming up) I had VERY severe disease just no pain. I have however made up for it since. I have severe pain every day somewhere. I have very little disease activity and trust me they have stopped at nothing to find it. I don't know why when there is little inflammation there can be so much pain (There is a very lengthy thread about it) maybe it existing damage, maybe its tendons, maybe its the moon, I don't know. I do know it drives the docs nuts. By the same token we know the disease plods on.

Like you, I was diagnosed with PsA in May of this year and I have been struggling to get up to speed with all of the information available out there regarding PsA. A little history - I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 8 years old. It started out the size of a quarter and now covers the lower half of my scalp. Until recently, the itching and flaking were really more annoyances than anything else, and other than using coal tar (MG217) shampoo, I didn't do much else for it (the shampoo helped a little with the itching but not much else). My husband is a retired landscaper, and we have a number of very large flowerbeds in our yard that require extensive weeding, so when I am not working on my research, I am out in the yard weeding. About a year or two ago I started noticing that it was getting harder and harder to pull weeds because my hands were stiff and painful. I also noticed some swelling in the distal finger joints.

In May during a routine appointment my dermatologist told me that my stiff and painful joints were probably due to PsA and he referred me to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist did a workup and confirmed the diagnosis. She prescribed methotrexate (MTX). I decided to get a 2nd opinion and the second rheumatologist agreed with the diagnosis and the treatment plan. I started low dose MTX (7.5 mg/wk + 1 mg folic acid/day) 4 weeks ago. So far I have not noticed any improvement in the symptoms, and maybe even a slight worsening in both the psoriasis and the PsA. However, that is not unexpected since 7.5 mg is not really considered therapeutic. This morning I had a follow up appointment with my rheumatologist and she increased the MTX to 15 mg starting with the next dose, which will be Friday.

Like you, at 54 I take offense when folks start telling me about their grandparent's arthritis. I have always been very active (mountain climbing, hiking, etc.) and I work hard to stay fit - for years prior to the onset of symptoms I was gluten free and a vegan. I think it is so important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including plenty of physical activity and a healthy diet, and I think it complements the benefits that may be obtained by modern medical interventions. Like lamb, I'd be willing to [think about licking frog slime], but for the majority of us, I don't think we are going to find a solution in the form of the so-called "natural remedies" that are out there in untold numbers.

There are some who say that their PsA disappeared after making dietary changes, but being a gluten free vegan didn't prevent it in my case, and it didn't help with my psoriasis either. My sister told me that there was a Dr. Oz segment that aired last week that involved a child with juvenile arthritis and the mother claimed that she made some dietary changes (an anti-inflammatory diet I believe) and it resulted in eliminating all of his symptoms. However, what she did not emphasize as much is that he was also taking methotrexate at the same time. So, was it the diet, the MTX, or both? At this point, we don't know, and until we do, I am going to try both.

It's never a bad idea to have a healthy diet, and the anti-inflammatory diet emphasizes no refined or processed foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables. It also eliminates many of the common inflammatory culprits like grains, nightshades, alcohol and caffeine, so it certainly can't hurt and might even help improve your overall health which is always a good thing. I have been following it since May, and as I said earlier I haven't seen any improvement in my P or PsA symptoms, but I have had a noticeable improvement in some gut symptoms that have plagued me nearly all of my life.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you find.

I REALLY appreciate your response. You could be me - there are definitely similarities. I also love to hike and be in nature. (I was hiking in Nepal a year ago - now I can't walk a block). When PsA suddenly struck (I've never had psoriasis and other than the gene have nothing else except the symptoms that now plague me), my husband and I were building a stacked timber cabin at a remote lake. Because of basing the PSA only on the disease, I've also been reluctant to take the MTX. I did get the prescription filled but I keep looking for another way. I was also plagued with stomach problems but the Wobenzym N seems to really help (and the fact that I eliminated milk - but not milk products - from my diet). Like you, I've also been a vegetarian for years, done yoga for over a decade and so on. On Wed of this week I have an appointment with the rhuematologist and I suspect I'll give in to the MTX, although I definitely have had some very slow, but noticeable improvement from the sulphasalazine. I will certainly keep you in the loop as things change and evolve (and yes, I still say, "go away"). All the best.

lonestarsally said:

Like you, I was diagnosed with PsA in May of this year and I have been struggling to get up to speed with all of the information available out there regarding PsA. A little history - I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 8 years old. It started out the size of a quarter and now covers the lower half of my scalp. Until recently, the itching and flaking were really more annoyances than anything else, and other than using coal tar (MG217) shampoo, I didn't do much else for it (the shampoo helped a little with the itching but not much else). My husband is a retired landscaper, and we have a number of very large flowerbeds in our yard that require extensive weeding, so when I am not working on my research, I am out in the yard weeding. About a year or two ago I started noticing that it was getting harder and harder to pull weeds because my hands were stiff and painful. I also noticed some swelling in the distal finger joints.

In May during a routine appointment my dermatologist told me that my stiff and painful joints were probably due to PsA and he referred me to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist did a workup and confirmed the diagnosis. She prescribed methotrexate (MTX). I decided to get a 2nd opinion and the second rheumatologist agreed with the diagnosis and the treatment plan. I started low dose MTX (7.5 mg/wk + 1 mg folic acid/day) 4 weeks ago. So far I have not noticed any improvement in the symptoms, and maybe even a slight worsening in both the psoriasis and the PsA. However, that is not unexpected since 7.5 mg is not really considered therapeutic. This morning I had a follow up appointment with my rheumatologist and she increased the MTX to 15 mg starting with the next dose, which will be Friday.

Like you, at 54 I take offense when folks start telling me about their grandparent's arthritis. I have always been very active (mountain climbing, hiking, etc.) and I work hard to stay fit - for years prior to the onset of symptoms I was gluten free and a vegan. I think it is so important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including plenty of physical activity and a healthy diet, and I think it complements the benefits that may be obtained by modern medical interventions. Like lamb, I'd be willing to [think about licking frog slime], but for the majority of us, I don't think we are going to find a solution in the form of the so-called "natural remedies" that are out there in untold numbers.

There are some who say that their PsA disappeared after making dietary changes, but being a gluten free vegan didn't prevent it in my case, and it didn't help with my psoriasis either. My sister told me that there was a Dr. Oz segment that aired last week that involved a child with juvenile arthritis and the mother claimed that she made some dietary changes (an anti-inflammatory diet I believe) and it resulted in eliminating all of his symptoms. However, what she did not emphasize as much is that he was also taking methotrexate at the same time. So, was it the diet, the MTX, or both? At this point, we don't know, and until we do, I am going to try both.

It's never a bad idea to have a healthy diet, and the anti-inflammatory diet emphasizes no refined or processed foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables. It also eliminates many of the common inflammatory culprits like grains, nightshades, alcohol and caffeine, so it certainly can't hurt and might even help improve your overall health which is always a good thing. I have been following it since May, and as I said earlier I haven't seen any improvement in my P or PsA symptoms, but I have had a noticeable improvement in some gut symptoms that have plagued me nearly all of my life.

Hi,

I've been on sulfasalazine for about 7 months now and find it to be somewhat helpful. My most recent problem/flare up with my hands was, i believe, brought on by a physical activity. I'm still getting used to not being able to put certain stresses on my body and had been used to exercising regularly. Now I limit my exercise to certain activities.

I was diagnosed last year and know how you're feeling. I've had PsA for a few years but was not diagnosed until last year. My GP had no idea and my first Rheumy was useless.

What type of medication or treatment did your mother have ? Do you think it's the lactose in the milk that is the issue or the milk itself? Has going off gluten helped at all ?

I am currently finishing some meds for the flare up but once I'm finished them I want to try a product my mother suggested. My brother is bugging me to try another but I told him I can only try one at a time.

I'm still trying to figure this all out too.

I just saw the rheumy this morning and he thinks I should just continue on sulphasalazine as there has been some progress -- my physio said to measure progress in movement not in pain because pain has a short memory, so that has been helpful for me. I do think diet helps with inflammation - particularly gluten. The milk products seem to have more to do with my stomach and ability to tolerate the meds.

The gluten seems to be a popular one the people find helps. I guess that's a good place for me to start.

I was diagnosed in 2007 at the onset of my symptoms of PsA. I had psoriasis since I was a kid but my father had a severe case of PsA, AS and gout, so I recognized the symptoms in myself. I actively sought out a rheumatologist. She agreed that I probably had PsA.

In 2012 I began to have a significant flare. My wrist, ankle, and back were causing me lots of pain. I started with NSAIDs for 3 months with no real relief so I moved on to Sulfasalazine this year. I was getting significant relief from the inflammation and pain but, unfortunately, my knee is now involved and I have major swelling and pain in my knee and ankle. I will probably try MTX here soon. My doc just adjusted my sulfasalazine so I am waiting a little while to see if there is any effect.

I have been gluten free since 1999 when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have been dairy free most of my life as I am allergic to dairy (hives, difficulty breathing). My diet is mostly vegetarian (unless I am visiting friends, etc.) and about 90% organic. If it comes in an organic form, I choose to use it. I do all the things you are supposed to....lots of fruits and veggies, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, green juices, probiotics, no processed foods, no refined grains, no GMO foods, no BPA, no sodas, no fast food, etc. I have been eating this way for at least 10 years. I changed my diet after my celiac diagnosis....I was in VERY bad shape before my diagnosis. So I did everything I could to heal my gut and all of my other issues.

But yet, I still developed PsA. I believe PsA and all autoimmune diseases are not the product of one thing gone wrong and I don't think you can do one thing to fix it. I think we have to try various products, medications, treatments, therapies, etc. and find what works for you as an individual. PsA and its treatments are definitely not one size fits all. So I encourage you to try anything and everything you think might help you to cope and function as best you can.

I now use a cane, braces, compression bandages, medication, diet, massage, etc. to function day by day. So give yourself time to learn what works for your body. I am still learning everyday what my new limitations are. It is frustrating but I am learning. You will too.

Have you read about the FODMAPS diet? That is the diet I use and was recommended by my GI doc. It has been so wonderful for my IBS and I feel healthier.

lonestarsally said:

Like you, I was diagnosed with PsA in May of this year and I have been struggling to get up to speed with all of the information available out there regarding PsA. A little history - I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 8 years old. It started out the size of a quarter and now covers the lower half of my scalp. Until recently, the itching and flaking were really more annoyances than anything else, and other than using coal tar (MG217) shampoo, I didn’t do much else for it (the shampoo helped a little with the itching but not much else). My husband is a retired landscaper, and we have a number of very large flowerbeds in our yard that require extensive weeding, so when I am not working on my research, I am out in the yard weeding. About a year or two ago I started noticing that it was getting harder and harder to pull weeds because my hands were stiff and painful. I also noticed some swelling in the distal finger joints.

Like you, at 54 I take offense when folks start telling me about their grandparent’s arthritis. I have always been very active (mountain climbing, hiking, etc.) and I work hard to stay fit - for years prior to the onset of symptoms I was gluten free and a vegan. I think it is so important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including plenty of physical activity and a healthy diet, and I think it complements the benefits that may be obtained by modern medical interventions. Like lamb, I’d be willing to [think about licking frog slime], but for the majority of us, I don’t think we are going to find a solution in the form of the so-called “natural remedies” that are out there in untold numbers.

There are some who say that their PsA disappeared after making dietary changes, but being a gluten free vegan didn’t prevent it in my case, and it didn’t help with my psoriasis either. My sister told me that there was a Dr. Oz segment that aired last week that involved a child with juvenile arthritis and the mother claimed that she made some dietary changes (an anti-inflammatory diet I believe) and it resulted in eliminating all of his symptoms. However, what she did not emphasize as much is that he was also taking methotrexate at the same time. So, was it the diet, the MTX, or both? At this point, we don’t know, and until we do, I am going to try both.

It’s never a bad idea to have a healthy diet, and the anti-inflammatory diet emphasizes no refined or processed foods and plenty of fruits and vegetables. It also eliminates many of the common inflammatory culprits like grains, nightshades, alcohol and caffeine, so it certainly can’t hurt and might even help improve your overall health which is always a good thing. I have been following it since May, and as I said earlier I haven’t seen any improvement in my P or PsA symptoms, but I have had a noticeable improvement in some gut symptoms that have plagued me nearly all of my life.

I've never heard of FODMAPS diet. I went to see a Dr. yesterday and will be starting an elimination diet next week. You eat specific foods for 3 weeks and then slowly introduce foods more associated with food intolerences - eggs, red meat, gluten, dairy and so on - one by one - recording how you feel after you eat each one.

We have a group dedicated to natural and alternative treatments. Its been fairly quiet lately but the participants are still around. http://discussion.livingwithpsoriaticarthritis.org/groups/group/show?groupUrl=natural-healing-group&id=6339595%3AGroup%3A79719&page=2#comments perhaps with some of the interest of late it can get revived. member Indigo is pretty knowledgeable and experienced and was leading several discussions. One could message her and get things revived I would think.......................

It’s excellent for IBS symptoms. There is a hardcover book available, but this appears to be a great overview site. http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/
Most of the info and rules that I follow, I gathered from many different sites. When I started, there wasn’t as much info out there on the web. The diet was created by Dr. Sue Shepherd in the late 90s and another woman Cassandra Forscythe? Has also written a lot on the subject as well. It is becoming the go to diet for many gastroenterologist for IBS.

Coping said:

I've never heard of FODMAPS diet. I went to see a Dr. yesterday and will be starting an elimination diet next week. You eat specific foods for 3 weeks and then slowly introduce foods more associated with food intolerences - eggs, red meat, gluten, dairy and so on - one by one - recording how you feel after you eat each one.

It's been more than a year now since PSA hit. I am still on a DMARD - Sulphasalazine- but nothing else except herbal and complimentary medicine. I also engage in yoga. acupuncture, diet modifications, osteopaths, etc. The good news is my mobility is coming back and the pain is subsiding. Sleep and stress reduction seems to also make a difference. Walking is still slow, but I biked about 15 km the other day. I am hopeful but it is hard work. Tonight I start a mindfulness-based stress reduction course. I am doing exercises from physio daily. I am taking nothing foregranted - including the fact that I have health benefits and an income that allows me to try different remdies. The learning curve is huge and encompasses alot of my time and energy. I fully believe that the path is somewhat individual but that we can support each other's efforts.

Hello there, Coping!
I don’t think we’ve met yet, but I just want to check in here and say hello. In your travels around the site, have you come across the book I recommend in Book Reviews? It is probably the best comprehensive reference there is on PsA, and many here have found it to be a big help. The Kindle version is a bargain, and if you don’t have a Kindle, you can download the free software and be reading it right here on your computer in just a few minutes. Learning as much as you can about this disease will put you in a good position to make sound treatment decisions with your doctors.
Yes, the learning curve is huge. But together, we’ll get there!